Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Confession time

thoughton
Posted 27/08/2010 - 18:07 Link
Sounds sensible for your interests Mike, a huge fast tele plus one of those MP-E 65mm macros
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Anvh
Posted 27/08/2010 - 18:08 Link
Come is it that hard to understand?

It's a bit like all those electronic aids in today's cars helping you to drive them but the more the aids will help you the more detached you will be/feel from actually driving.
It's great we have things like AF these days but does it make the act of making a photo more pleasurable?
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Mike-P
Posted 27/08/2010 - 18:16 Link
Anvh wrote:
Come is it that hard to understand?

Not at all Stefan ... it's just that half your posts seem to come over as if you are just being argumentative for the sake of it. You may not want faster autofocus but after reading this and other forums it would seem you are in the minority.

But then being a Pentax owner you are probably used to that

Anvh wrote:

It's great we have things like AF these days but does it make the act of making a photo more pleasurable?

If it means the difference between getting the photo and a load of OOF blur ... yes.
piotro
Posted 27/08/2010 - 18:28 Link
Mike-P wrote:
Like Chris I am waiting for the K-5 before deciding what to do but the 7D is looking a likely purchase, especially after the 60D specifications were released.

Me to, still giving Pentax some credit and awaiting what they can make (better), but how many years more should we wait.
On other hand changing system these days, when biggest sellers just ripe off people on lens prices may not be wisest/easiest.
Edited by piotro: 27/08/2010 - 18:29
davidtrout
Posted 27/08/2010 - 18:35 Link
Stefan wrote: Isn't the way of creating/making a photograph not just as important as the result?

Tell that one to a professional photo journalist with an impatient picture editor breathing down his neck.
David
Edited by davidtrout: 27/08/2010 - 18:36
ChrisA
Posted 27/08/2010 - 18:42 Link
Anvh wrote:

Reason 1. is what I said and yes it would be very satisfying if you nail an airshow shot with a 5x4 plate camera don't you think?

Yes, indeed... and even more so with a crayon

Quote:
ps. please don't take this personal, it's meant in general.

I don't take it personally at all.

In a sense, I can see your point. Sometimes it's fun to attempt something difficult, with antiquated equipment, just for grins.

And there's no doubt at all that if somone practised their MF skills for hour after hour, and achieved some fantastic aircraft shots, it would be impressive.

Equally, the time is coming where we'll just point the video camera in the right general direction, and have the software select the best still frame from it later on, having cropped, sharpened, etc etc.

And we'll say 'nice plane, but so what' - and some of the sparkle that once was photography will have become a historical point of interest.

The oldies will be going, 'ooooo when I were a lad, we had to use Photoshop manually, to do our photo editing, kids these days don't know they're born'.

But the young at heart will be doing even more amazing stuff with whatever there is then.

As Arthur Clarke said, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

I just want to be around to see it.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Edited by ChrisA: 27/08/2010 - 18:44
ChrisA
Posted 27/08/2010 - 18:50 - Helpful Comment Link
Hey, guys, I had a thought.

Is this a first... someone pops up, announces they're buying a rival brand, and we end up slagging off Pentax (implicitly at least!!) rather than the rival brand and/or the scoundrel and traitor???

Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Anvh
Posted 27/08/2010 - 18:59 Link
Mike-P wrote:
Not at all Stefan ... it's just that half your posts seem to come over as if you are just being argumentative for the sake of it. You may not want faster autofocus but after reading this and other forums it would seem you are in the minority.

But then being a Pentax owner you are probably used to that

Not at all either Mike, I just feel that I need to explain myself because of some imperatives.
And we Dutch like to argue no defensive about that

Mike-P wrote:
Anvh wrote:

If it means the difference between getting the photo and a load of OOF blur ... yes.

Smart-ass
Off course it's great that the AF enables you that but won't it be more satisfying if you can do that without the AF helping you?
That's what I'm talking about.

davidtrout wrote:
Stefan wrote: Isn't the way of creating/making a photograph not just as important as the result?

Tell that one to a professional photo journalist with an impatient picture editor breathing down his neck.
David

maybe not then but still the professional photo journalist probably has chosen
his profession because he like taking photos so it would be less fulfilling for him if he leaves the camera in green mode and just press the shutter button.

@Chris you got it
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 27/08/2010 - 19:10
ChrisA
Posted 27/08/2010 - 20:12 Link
Anvh wrote:
@Chris you got it

Please don't assume that because I can see where you're coming from, I agree, because I don't

The thing is, if I get up at 5.30am to go to an airshow, wait 5 hours for the display to start, have to fight off all the eejits encroaching on my spot, and ultimately have to spend three hours getting home again, it's not a pleasure for me to lose most of my beautifully composed and perfectly timed works of art because the ****ers aren't in bl**dy focus.

Having spent the price of a not brilliant but still functional second hand car on the kit, I'm afraid I'm not especially happy when it, rather than I, is the limit on what I can achieve.
Don
Posted 27/08/2010 - 20:32 Link
ChrisA wrote:

Is this a first... someone pops up, announces they're buying a rival brand, and we end up slagging off Pentax (implicitly at least!!) rather than the rival brand and/or the scoundrel and traitor???

Most of my most treasured creations are the illegitimate, bastard children of an unholy union of Pentax d-slrs and Sony Video cameras........

I'm a tramp. Dirty. Unfaithful.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 27/08/2010 - 20:34
Oggy
Posted 27/08/2010 - 20:36 Link
ChrisA wrote:

I took the precaution of donning my Nomex undies before I posted.

This site seems to have the best aircraft photography I have found on the net. Have a look at modern Military and Airshows, but it is worth going back a page on both to when the weather was better. A lot of the photography there really is super league.

They did a survey back along as to who used what and the results went along the lines of out of 10, others - 1, Pentax - 1, Noink - 2, C***n - 6. That sent me a message.

Stefan - I used to do a bit of motorcycle racing many years ago. I did it all out of my own pocket but some of the people I was racing against had some sponsorship. This meant that unless things went against form, the best I could reasonably expect was about tenth. After 1 season I got tired with this and gave up.

I do not want to start a fight, but as I said, tools for jobs.
johnriley
Posted 27/08/2010 - 20:55 Link
Quote:
That sent me a message.

But it doesn't mean anything apart that from out of a sample of photographers that was the distribution. I suppose you inferred that the majority must know what's best, but it might mean something entirely different. It might mean that Canon had the best special offer that week...or that their camera was the cheapest and that was a deciding factor...or anything.
Best regards, John
cedricd
Posted 27/08/2010 - 21:00 Link
Well done Oggy, I see it as horses for courses. Postie wouldn`t use a Smart car for his parcels would he.

Cedric
Enjoy life
ChrisA
Posted 27/08/2010 - 21:06 Link
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
That sent me a message.

But it doesn't mean anything apart that from out of a sample of photographers that was the distribution. I suppose you inferred that the majority must know what's best, but it might mean something entirely different. It might mean that Canon had the best special offer that week...or that their camera was the cheapest and that was a deciding factor...or anything.

This is true.

If anything, if 10% were Pentax, it suggests that Pentax is better than the rest, since its market share is so small.

How about a whip round? Someone help me stump up for a couple of weeks rental for a D300S and a good consumer zoom that covers the 50-300 range, and I'll hang out at the airfield for a couple of days and do a proper comparison.
piotro
Posted 27/08/2010 - 21:07 Link
Oggy wrote:
This site seems to have the best aircraft photography I have found on the net.
They did a survey back along as to who used what and the results went along the lines of out of 10, others - 1, Pentax - 1, Noink - 2, C***n - 6. That sent me a message.

You mentioned that website, this thread was worth to mentione (started by "somebody" with the same avatar like yours here ), see comments from ex Pentax users that changed brands:
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25867

and some comments here:
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25638
Edited by piotro: 27/08/2010 - 21:11

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.