Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Cobra D400

NickJS
Posted 24/04/2012 - 12:59 Link
Hey guys,

I just got myself a cheap flash to use off camera and I was wondering how I go about doing this, can I use wireless triggers or would it be better to use a wired one?

Any recommendations would be great .
9aul
Posted 25/04/2012 - 20:57 - Helpful Comment Link
You can use either depending on preference -

A PC cable will be cheaper but obviously limited by the length of cables, you will also need a PC to hot shoe adapter for the flash and possibly another for the camera depending on model

Wireless triggers are a much more elegant solution but cost more - the most recommended for Pentax are the Cactus V4 or V5 depending on budget

You can find a wealth of flash info from here - link

I think you may find that the Cobra isnt the best choice though for off camera flash which AFAIK doesn't offer full manual control of its output - good cheap flash options include some of the old Vivitar units and the old Nikon SB 24/26/28 which also include a PC socket
JAK
Posted 25/04/2012 - 21:02 - Helpful Comment Link
John K
johnha
Posted 25/04/2012 - 21:18 - Helpful Comment Link
I have a D400 from way back, it was a reasonably cheap dedicated gun when attached to the hot shoe. Off camera you'll only have the auto modes (which may not be useful especially if using it in combination with another gun) or full manual.
JAK
Posted 26/04/2012 - 00:55 - Helpful Comment Link
9aul wrote:
I think you may find that the Cobra isnt the best choice though for off camera flash which AFAIK doesn't offer full manual control of its output

It does! See page 7 of the manual.
Quote:
The Cobra 400 is designed for automatic dedicated use with your camera. however, the flash can be used in manual mode with your camera or with any camera not offering any dedicated functions...

It would actually work well in manual mode with one of those cheap flash slave devices triggered from the onboard flash. You'd have to measure the flash to subject distance to work out the exposure though!

John
John K
Edited by JAK: 26/04/2012 - 00:55
NickJS
Posted 26/04/2012 - 01:14 Link
Cheers ,

Jak, would this work like a flash slave?

link

As I want to avoid using the onboard flash if possible.
JAK
Posted 26/04/2012 - 11:30 - Helpful Comment Link
Yes it would achieve much the same result. The flash slave would respond to the light from the onboard flash whereas the wireless one would do it, well.., wirelessly!

The slave is small and doesn't need a battery to make it work (certainly the one I have doesn't) whereas the wireless one will need batteries in both the transmitter and receiver. When I purchased my flash slave it would have been illegal to use such a radio frequency wireless trigger. Think I only paid a couple of pounds for my one so guess Hama are adding quite a mark up on that one. There isn't much in them.

John
John K
Frogherder
Posted 26/04/2012 - 12:35 - Helpful Comment Link
[quote][Jak, would this work like a flash slave/quote]

Yes they work 'quite well' providing the receiver batteries are fresh.
I found rechargeable ones tend to work at reduced range (sometimes only a foot or so) Zinc Carbon are fine if fresh.

By the way the same ones are available on ebay rather cheaper

You can then put a second flash, if required and if you have one, on a slave (per JAKs comments)

regards
Bernard
NickJS
Posted 26/04/2012 - 13:31 Link
I totally missed 9auls post, I just found a plac that sells the Cactus v4 for £31 so I might order those then.

So I would only need one wireless reciever and I can use a slave for when I do get more flashes, I understand now !

Thanks again!
9aul
Posted 26/04/2012 - 18:39 Link
JAK wrote:
9aul wrote:
I think you may find that the Cobra isnt the best choice though for off camera flash which AFAIK doesn't offer full manual control of its output

Quote:
The Cobra 400 is designed for automatic dedicated use with your camera. however, the flash can be used in manual mode with your camera or with any camera not offering any dedicated functions...

Yeah they do have a manual mode but "helpfully" no control of the output in this mode - so the flash will fire on full power, only allowing adjustment of exposure with iso/aperture - would love to be proved wrong though as have an old Cobra sitting in a cupboard unused for this reason

NickJS - no probs, I was asking pretty much the same questions a short while ago here - think the v4s for 31 are a good buy
NickJS
Posted 26/04/2012 - 18:43 Link
9aul wrote:
JAK wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah they do have a manual mode but "helpfully" no control of the output in this mode - so the flash will fire on full power, only allowing adjustment of exposure with iso/aperture - would love to be proved wrong though as have an old Cobra sitting in a cupboard unused for this reason

NickJS - no probs, I was asking pretty much the same questions a short while ago here - think the v4s for 31 are a good buy

I think it does fire on full power everytime sadly, its not too bad though especially for the £5 I paid haha!
JAK
Posted 26/04/2012 - 21:59 Link
NickJS wrote:
I think it does fire on full power everytime sadly, ...

Yes that's correct. If you want something similar with variable manual output, lookout for something like the Sunpak Autozoom 3000. (Not recommended for on camera use, regrettably, because the trigger voltage is quite high, a good flash non the less.)

John
John K
NickJS
Posted 26/04/2012 - 23:13 Link
Just bought the Cactus wireless triggers, managed to get them for £28 . Cheers for the help!

I'll keep my eye open for another better flashgun I think though.
Edited by NickJS: 26/04/2012 - 23:14

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.