Cardinal Beetle and Umbellifer

Lubbyman

Link Posted 03/07/2019 - 11:41
There's a strand of photographic thought which says that wildlife photos should show the animal in its natural surroundings. So here's a bug in it's natural surroundings. Quite possibly the last thing a visiting small fly would see before becoming dinner for the Red Cardinal Beetle.

K3 + Sigma 105mm macro. Took the macro on a dog walk simply because it was on the camera at the time. Didn't expect to use it for close-ups, but couldn't resist an attempt at this one.

Thoughts, comments invited as usual.

Steve

derek897

Link Posted 03/07/2019 - 19:40
Well shot sir.
Well worth bringing on the walk.

Are you sure it's a cardinal beetle? I always thought they had a red shell and were black under it.
Possible red soldier beetle. Or you may well be right.
Cracking shot whatever it is. 👏👏👏
I know what i like, If not always why.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 03/07/2019 - 20:19
Nicely captured - love the warm light on white flowers, is it a sunny morning or evening shot?
LennyBloke

Lubbyman

Link Posted 03/07/2019 - 22:09
Thanks folks.

Derek897 - On a more careful look, I think you're right. Red soldier beetle rather than red cardinal beetle. Checking pictures late at night has its downside. Thanks for spotting the error.

Lennybloke - It was approaching sunset. I don't do low sun in the morning photography when the sun rises at the time it does at the moment and the dog won't walk in the heat of the day, so evening it has to be. Good for sunsets, silhouettes, shadows across undulating landscape and all accompanied by the sound of blackcap, song thrush, blackbird, wren, chiff-chaff and more.

Steve

derek897

Link Posted 04/07/2019 - 14:47
Lubbyman wrote:
Thanks folks.

Lennybloke - It was approaching sunset. I don't do low sun in the morning photography when the sun rises at the time it does at the moment and the dog won't walk in the heat of the day, so evening it has to be. Good for sunsets, silhouettes, shadows across undulating landscape and all accompanied by the sound of blackcap, song thrush, blackbird, wren, chiff-chaff and more.

Steve

Hard to beat late evening sun, and the long shadows across the landscape.

You paint an equally pleasing image with words as you do with your camera.
👏👏👏👏👏👏

Lubbyman

Link Posted 05/07/2019 - 12:11
derek897 wrote:
You paint an equally pleasing image with words

Derek, I believe you're the first person who has ever said anything flattering about my use of the English language. My old English teacher would be surprised, my wife would probably laugh (so I'm not going to tell her) and I'm feeling all shy and embarrassed.

Steve

derek897

Link Posted 05/07/2019 - 18:41

Just keep in mind,
I'm Irish.
My standards may well be lower

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.