Camera/Tripod Boom Arm

cbrog

Link Posted 28/09/2014 - 20:13
Has anyone any experience of (say) the Velbon Boom Arm, particularly when used for macro work?

Roger

swarf

Link Posted 28/09/2014 - 20:50
I've got the V4 boom arm and I find it very useful for getting into tricky places. It's simple to move and extend and locks into position securely. It has a both 1/4 & 3/8 inch adapters.

You do have to decide what sort of head to put on it, or a macro rail if that's your preference, and add that to the cost.

I'd recommend it as it suits what I need, others may have different requirements and I'm sure will post their own views.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

doingthebobs

Link Posted 28/09/2014 - 23:13
How about a Benbo or Uni-loc tripod? You get a long boom arm built in.

Some don't like them as it needs a little practice to set up but you can't beat it for getting a camera into awkward places. The legs can be arranged to support the camera really well in a lot more directions than most tripods. Legs are sealed so can be used in water/mud and the benbo 1 & 2 have 1/4' & 3/8' fittings.

My Trekker tripod also has the Uni-loc Centre Column Swing Bracket added. This allows even more movement of the center column when used sideways.

Probably cost less for the whole tripod second hand than the Velbon Boom Arm.

vic cross

Link Posted 29/09/2014 - 08:39
x2 for UniLok. I have had mine for many years and love it. At first you think this is a demented octopus BUT THEN you get to know it and WOW. A bit heavier than most but this gives it great stability.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

cbrog

Link Posted 29/09/2014 - 15:54
Thank you all for that info - you've given me a couple of unfamiliar alternatives to research.

I've got to the age where I tend to fall over if I lean too far out of the vertical and I am definitely NOT allowed in the flower beds. Hence my interest in boom arms.

Roger

Algernon

Link Posted 29/09/2014 - 16:36
cbrog wrote:
I've got to the age where I tend to fall over if I lean too far out of the vertical.......
Roger

I bet the tripod with an eccentric load can do that better than you!

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Algernon

Link Posted 29/09/2014 - 16:45
No editing allowed...... Part of above post

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/law-of-gravity.jpg

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

cbrog

Link Posted 29/09/2014 - 17:31
I take your point Algi, some under-slung ballast might be desirable.....

Roger

richandfleur

Link Posted 02/10/2014 - 21:12
Slight aside here but I've seen a few examples lately of cellphones/tablets being wirelessly connected to cameras, so you can stick the camera into weird places on the end of a pole, and compose and fire the shutter from the camera screen. One example was on a pole above crowds, but I can't see why that sort of approach couldn't work for flower beds either etc?
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.