Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Camera Rotators

karthikv82
Posted 17/03/2011 - 09:02 Link
Hello All,

Does anyone have experience using camera rotatory with a monopod ?

I would like to know how useful it is and is it worth investing ? I do a bit of mixed photography i.e. anything that I can shoot I will portraits, landscapes, stock... etc

This was the ones I was looking at - link

This is the link showing the usage - link

Any suggestions on other brackets ?

Regards,

Karthik
Karthik
www.kvflick.com
Gwyn
Posted 17/03/2011 - 09:10 Link
You could consider a L-bracket. Really Right Stuff and Kirk amongst others, make them.
I'm not sure how useful any of them would be with a monopod though.
gartmore
Posted 17/03/2011 - 09:14 Link
Firstly I thought those brackets were for use in certain types of photography where you needed the camera to rotate on the lens axis.

Secondly I was quite amused that he describes his most useful bit of kit as 'a piece of junk'

Thirdly, why does he need it when shooting with flash when the exposure may well be 1/20000th second?

The money would be better spent on a lens or something TBH.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
karthikv82
Posted 17/03/2011 - 09:36 Link
gartmore wrote:
Firstly I thought those brackets were for use in certain types of photography where you needed the camera to rotate on the lens axis.

Secondly I was quite amused that he describes his most useful bit of kit as 'a piece of junk'

Thirdly, why does he need it when shooting with flash when the exposure may well be 1/20000th second?

The money would be better spent on a lens or something TBH.

That was my reservation as well, do you actually need one with a super high shutter speed ? I can probably understand using a monopod when shooting outdoors - water bodies n stuff .. like this one here - Video

Although I have never used my monopod yet as it is still new. Therefore, need some advice on useful attachments on it.

Overall, the bracket looks impressive with the easy switch n all but is it worth it ? or eveen as good as it says it is ?
Karthik
www.kvflick.com
bretti_kivi
Posted 17/03/2011 - 09:39 Link
I have a 234RC2 head on top of my 'pod and it's useful. Works well when the lens collar enables the movement of the camera so it's in portrait....

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
karthikv82
Posted 17/03/2011 - 09:52 Link
bretti_kivi wrote:
I have a 234RC2 head on top of my 'pod and it's useful. Works well when the lens collar enables the movement of the camera so it's in portrait....

Bret

I have the manfrotto 234RC2 directly attached to the mo-pod head
Karthik
www.kvflick.com
Dangermouse
Posted 17/03/2011 - 10:27 Link
See if you can get an Arca Swiss-type L bracket and a matching QR mount to bolt on top of the monopod?

I'm slowly standardising on these mounts as my Red Snapper ball head has one and the QR plates seem to be widely available in a variety of lengths, so you can shift the camera forward or back on the head to get the balance right.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Anvh
Posted 17/03/2011 - 14:00 Link
Off centre ballheads should work very well on monopod.
http://www.gitzo.com/product_list/72038.71852.83184.0.0/off_centre_heads
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
gartmore
Posted 17/03/2011 - 15:58 Link
Anvh wrote:
Off centre ballheads should work very well on monopod.
http://www.gitzo.com/product_list/72038.71852.83184.0.0/off_centre_heads

That looks far more useful.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Anvh
Posted 17/03/2011 - 16:18 Link
I'm thinking of getting one myself but i don't have the money for it right now.

Little tip if you buy Gitzo, they use differnt way to measure the maximum weight so you don't need to buy "extra" heavy to get something sturdy. The serries 2 or 3 should be more then good enough.

btw gitzo also have this (watch the video)
http://www.gitzo.com/product/72038.71852.76323.0.0/GH5130RC/_/SER.5_3_WAY_ELECTR...

Not something for your monopod though
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
karthikv82
Posted 18/03/2011 - 15:00 Link
I've had a look at the L brackets ... so dam expensive ... .. i found out that the custom bracket will be no good for a battery pack so ruled out. Gitzo head ... is worth considering ...I suppose. Any suggestions on where to get them from in the UK .... and of-course cost ?
Karthik
www.kvflick.com
Gwyn
Posted 18/03/2011 - 15:22 Link
Unlocker
Posted 18/03/2011 - 15:54 Link
Some useful tidbits I've learned from using monopods:-

They are great for supporting weight, so start becoming essential where a tripod is too cumbersome or not ideal and the kit gets too heavy to handhold all day.

An off set head will take the weight off the centre of gravity, therefore making it less stable whilst also changing the height of the viewfinder making you crouch or readjusting the height of the monopod, so best avoided.

Ball heads are also not ideal (especially with a lot of weight) as if you need movement, they are very easy to tip sideways, so again best avoided.

The only real directional ability you should need is tilt so the 234RC2 you already have will be ideal for this. Using the Wimberley on the monopod should be ideal and I hope to be testing that soon.

That rotating bracket does look good if you need the speed and stability to change from landscape to portrait, it could be ideal. Depending on kit, and as I only use long lenses with a monopod, you can use the lens collar for this.

Be aware of weight ratings if you do need a lot of weight supported. Rigidity is more important, especially with longer lenses. Our 10kg rated Manfrotto for example will buckle and start collapsing with ~ 7kg weight on it. It will get replaced with a Gitzo GM5541 as soon as I have the money spare for it, as the leg locking mechanism is far far superior to the Manfrotto.

As you mentioned that you haven't used it yet can I suggest that you get out there and use it! You will quickly find out what is important for you and your choices should become easier and clearer.

Hope that helps!
karthikv82
Posted 18/03/2011 - 16:47 Link
Unlocker wrote:
Some useful tidbits I've learned from using monopods:-

They are great for supporting weight, so start becoming essential where a tripod is too cumbersome or not ideal and the kit gets too heavy to handhold all day.

An off set head will take the weight off the centre of gravity, therefore making it less stable whilst also changing the height of the viewfinder making you crouch or readjusting the height of the monopod, so best avoided.

Ball heads are also not ideal (especially with a lot of weight) as if you need movement, they are very easy to tip sideways, so again best avoided.

The only real directional ability you should need is tilt so the 234RC2 you already have will be ideal for this. Using the Wimberley on the monopod should be ideal and I hope to be testing that soon.

That rotating bracket does look good if you need the speed and stability to change from landscape to portrait, it could be ideal. Depending on kit, and as I only use long lenses with a monopod, you can use the lens collar for this.

Be aware of weight ratings if you do need a lot of weight supported. Rigidity is more important, especially with longer lenses. Our 10kg rated Manfrotto for example will buckle and start collapsing with ~ 7kg weight on it. It will get replaced with a Gitzo GM5541 as soon as I have the money spare for it, as the leg locking mechanism is far far superior to the Manfrotto.

As you mentioned that you haven't used it yet can I suggest that you get out there and use it! You will quickly find out what is important for you and your choices should become easier and clearer.

Hope that helps!

Super ... thanks mate ... tomorrow is experiment day
Karthik
www.kvflick.com
karthikv82
Posted 18/03/2011 - 16:48 Link
Gwyn wrote:
Diect from Gitzo is an option: http://www.gitzo.co.uk/product_list/72038.71852.83184.0.0/off_centre_heads

Otherwise look here for dealers http://www.gitzo.co.uk/dealers

Looking at it now...
Karthik
www.kvflick.com

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.