Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Camera Internals Moving?

Posted 11/07/2007 - 22:35 Link
Hello, I am new here as I have just purchased a Pentax K100D and have been browsing for information on the camera. I have a question that will probably turn out to be nothing but I thought i would ask. When I tip my camera upside down i can hear/feel the inside moving. Its like the inside has some movement. Is this normal or do i have a faulty camera? All controls are working fine, pictures are good? Hope someone can help.

Thank You, James
Mannesty
Posted 11/07/2007 - 22:52 Link
It's nothing to worry about. Both the K100D and K10D have a shake reduction system and they both make that same noise.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 11/07/2007 - 23:04 Link
Hello,

Thank You for your reply, that's put my mind at rest Now to start learning how to take half decent pictures.

James
ChrisA
Posted 11/07/2007 - 23:04 Link
Mannesty wrote:
It's nothing to worry about. Both the K100D and K10D have a shake reduction system and they both make that same noise.

Is this definitely what it is?

SR must presumably consist of several lightweight bits that respond quickly, whereas the 'internals moving' sound that I've noticed from the K10D is more of a 'slow slide' - something sliding over something else - as you slowly rotate the camera about its lens axis.

I've speculated that it's something to do with the orientation sensor - does the K100D have one of these too?
Posted 11/07/2007 - 23:44 Link
yes its a slow slide that i can hear, The camera is working fine but i was slightly concerned as i have never came across this before on other cameras.
It feels like the metal chassis is sliding up and down slightly.

James
MattMatic
Posted 12/07/2007 - 09:26 Link
Here's an image of the bit that's moving:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/PentaxK10D/Images/Features/sr.jpg

The whole plate with the CCD has to move under magnet control. When the power is off and the magnets aren't engaged that plate can move on its own... well, when you turn the camera upside down at least

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 12/07/2007 - 11:37 Link
Thank You Mat and everyone else who has replied. This is a great forum, just been browsing through lots of other posts. Maybe i will post a few pics at some point for people to help point me in the right direction.

James
Entsoft
Posted 04/09/2007 - 14:14 Link
Hi travellingmanjim,

I dont think this is the SR system that is moving as this slow slide occures even when the K10D is switched on.

This is more likely to be the Orientation Sensor that you can feel/hear moving and yes it is also apparent on my K10D.

Although I'm sure its nothing to be concerned with as there are many reports of this noise.

Graham.
Why Not Take a Gander at My Pics @
http://www.entsoft.co.uk
Mannesty
Posted 04/09/2007 - 14:38 Link
Entsoft wrote:
Hi travellingmanjim,
This is more likely to be the Orientation Sensor that you can feel/hear moving and yes it is also apparent on my K10D.
Graham.

The orientation sensor is no more than a tiny ball bearing. What you can hear is more likely to be the dust removal system, which you can turn off.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 20/09/2007 - 23:54 Link
Please pay attention to the original post, he has a K100D, not a K10D.

I feel the same on my K100D, and a GX-10 as well. It seems like a heavy part on the inside is sliding, I'd be surprised if that is really the sensor plate - should need some very strong magnets to keep it floating during a shot.

I've just sent an e-mail to Pentax UK asking about this. I feel better knowing that it's not just my camera (may be a design "feature", but it's better to ask
MattMatic
Posted 21/09/2007 - 05:54 Link
Quote:
Please pay attention to the original post, he has a K100D, not a K10D.

We knew that
It's just that Pentax's SR technology is the same in the K100D and the K10D.
And it is the CCD on its plate.
Quote:
should need some very strong magnets to keep it floating during a shot.

Absolutely. Ever had an old hard disk apart? Tried the magnets? Scarily strong. The SR technology uses a similar voice coil to hard disks, and presumably similar magnets.

But, all the same, it'll be interesting to hear Pentax's reply
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.