CAMERA & LENS STORAGE
Posted 04/06/2013 - 23:25
Link
Don't keep lenses in camera bags, particularly after using in damp or cold conditions and then walking into a warm house. I keep mine on the shelf, never in a bag or lens case. I also keep some of those moisture sucking gel packs in my bags when I do go out to keep out the damp. Never had a fungus attack yet
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 04/06/2013 - 23:58
Link
Lenses and cameras not actually in use are kept on open shelves. Plenty of air circulation and freedom from damp are the key things.
Best regards, John
Posted 05/06/2013 - 04:00
Link
Yup, lots of air circulation keeps the moisture down and prevents mould.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 05/06/2013 - 06:20
Link
Thanks guys.
Posted 05/06/2013 - 10:17
Link
That's good to know I keep all my lenses on an open shelf and was worried that it's not the best thing to do
Thanks guys
Thanks guys
FF: Pentax K-1, D-FA* 70-200, D-FA 24-70, D-FA 100, D-FA 28-105, FA 77, FA 43
APSC: K3, K5, DA*50-135, DA*300, Sigma 17-50, Sigma 10-20, 18-55mm, DA 55-300mm, DA35, 1.4TC
4/3: Q10, Q, 01, 02, 06
Fuji XT1, XF18-55, XF27
APSC: K3, K5, DA*50-135, DA*300, Sigma 17-50, Sigma 10-20, 18-55mm, DA 55-300mm, DA35, 1.4TC
4/3: Q10, Q, 01, 02, 06
Fuji XT1, XF18-55, XF27
Posted 05/06/2013 - 15:32
Link
I would love to keep my lenses on an open shelf for ease of access, but an empty shelf is hard to find in my clutter filled house! I don't really get the air circulation thing though - surely a lens with front and rear caps on is pretty much a sealed unit, so any internal air circulation would be very slight indeed. I would have thought the moisture content of the air was more significant, hence the humidity controlled cabinets people buy to store lenses in the tropics.
Regards, Philip
Posted 05/06/2013 - 16:15
Link
Lenses are not sealed to air Philip and the open shelf/air circulation has been found over many years to be the best solution. The worst is enclosed bags and boxes, or even inside cabinets and drawers. In the last two cases a large amount of chemicals can be given off by furniture and this too can damage cameras and lenses.
Humidity is indeed important and centrally heated houses are perfect. The relative humidity can be quite low. RH is 44% here at the moment.
Humidity is indeed important and centrally heated houses are perfect. The relative humidity can be quite low. RH is 44% here at the moment.
Best regards, John
Posted 07/06/2013 - 06:19
Link
I read somewhere (I think it was in this forum) that you should also stand them with the mount at the bottom. Somehow this prevents the aperture blades getting oiled up. Is this true?
As for me, all I know is that I know nothing.
Posted 07/06/2013 - 08:19
Link
I always stand lenses back element down and always with a back cap on the lens. My logic for this was to avoid storing the lens with all its weight resting on the focusing mechanism, as it would be if it were front element down.
The cap is essential to protect any flanges and contacts on the back of the lens.
The cap is essential to protect any flanges and contacts on the back of the lens.
Best regards, John
Posted 10/06/2013 - 14:39
Link
I always wrap my carving gouges in a rag to reduce air circulation otherwise rust is formed (very quickly).
I realise that rust isn't generally a photographers nightmare but I would have thought that an enclosed, warm environment with bags of dessicant would be the ideal solution.
regards
Bernard
I realise that rust isn't generally a photographers nightmare but I would have thought that an enclosed, warm environment with bags of dessicant would be the ideal solution.
regards
Bernard
Posted 10/06/2013 - 14:55
Link
Unfortunately Bernard, for lenses that's a very poor option. I take in lots of lenses that have been stored exactly that way and are full of fungus.
Best regards, John
Posted 18/06/2013 - 10:36
Link
Quote:
moisture sucking gel packs
Where do you get those from please? Should I take my camera out of it's bag when not in use please?
moisture sucking gel packs
Always be kind to people
link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059
link
link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059
link
Posted 18/06/2013 - 11:09
Link
AuraTodd wrote:
Those packs are often in boxes with new electronics or shoes. I found a massive one with a new beamer a few weeks ago
Quote:
moisture sucking gel packs
Where do you get those from please? Should I take my camera out of it's bag when not in use please?moisture sucking gel packs
Pentax K-1| D-FA 24-70mm | FA 43mm F1.9 Ltd | FA* 85mm F1.4 | D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR | DA* 200mm F2.8 | Pentax AF 540FGZ
Posted 18/06/2013 - 11:34
Link
AuraTodd wrote:
You should. The trouble is with the gel packs is when they have absorbed a certain amount of moisture, they stop working. Thus your precious equipment might be developing fungus, out of sight. (Although to be fair it's not a huge risk). But better to keep it all out in the open where the air can get to it, and you can keep an eye on it.
Quote:
moisture sucking gel packs
Where do you get those from please? Should I take my camera out of it's bag when not in use please?moisture sucking gel packs
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


17 posts
13 years
Poole Dorset
Anyone want to post something on this or at least provide a link to some clear recommendations on how it can be avoided please?
Prevention's got to be better than cure.
Thanks.