CAMERA & LENS STORAGE
Posted 18/06/2013 - 16:54
Link
Think It be ok on the sofa, as I hardly use it?
Always be kind to people
link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059
link
link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059
link
Posted 19/06/2013 - 09:11
Link
I do have a bookcase but it's a bit wobbly, I could put it on my lap tray, would that work?
I have a favourite chair, so I don't sit on sofa.
I have a favourite chair, so I don't sit on sofa.
Always be kind to people
link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059
link
link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059
link
Posted 19/06/2013 - 09:29
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
When the silica gel has absorbed the maximum moisture it can you can stick them in the oven or microwave to dry them out and they're as good as new!
AuraTodd wrote:
You should. The trouble is with the gel packs is when they have absorbed a certain amount of moisture, they stop working. Thus your precious equipment might be developing fungus, out of sight. (Although to be fair it's not a huge risk). But better to keep it all out in the open where the air can get to it, and you can keep an eye on it.Quote:
moisture sucking gel packs
Where do you get those from please? Should I take my camera out of it's bag when not in use please?moisture sucking gel packs
Regards,
Michael
Michael
Posted 19/06/2013 - 10:27
Link
I just remember one story on PF about someone who had sealed their lenses up with some silica gel packs... and out of sight, out of mind, the lenses all developed fungus. The seal can't have been 100% so once the gel packs had reached capacity, the humidity equalised. So the lenses were in a dark place with no air circulation, and the humidity levels maintained by the fully saturated gel packs. (To be fair, this was in the US and the air humidity might have been higher than we expect in the UK).
I appreciate if you rigorously recharge the gel packs you should be OK, but I know myself better than that! All it takes is one slip up.
I appreciate if you rigorously recharge the gel packs you should be OK, but I know myself better than that! All it takes is one slip up.
Posted 19/06/2013 - 14:09
Link
I store all my lenses on open shelves in a part of the house that has no risk of any damp. I've had some for over 20 years and none have ever developed fungus. I've also bought some old Takumars that did have fungus and since cleaning them out 2 years ago it has never re-grown.
Regards
David
Regards
David
Posted 19/06/2013 - 20:52
Link
johnriley wrote:
Lenses are not sealed to air Philip and the open shelf/air circulation has been found over many years to be the best solution. The worst is enclosed bags and boxes, or even inside cabinets and drawers. In the last two cases a large amount of chemicals can be given off by furniture and this too can damage cameras and lenses.
Building regs require air circulaton in rooms and roofs, etc to prevent mould and rot. lack of air circulation and stagnation causes bad things to happen. Lenses are not sealed to air Philip and the open shelf/air circulation has been found over many years to be the best solution. The worst is enclosed bags and boxes, or even inside cabinets and drawers. In the last two cases a large amount of chemicals can be given off by furniture and this too can damage cameras and lenses.
John raises a good point about toxic chemicals. Furniture ( soaked in carcingenic fire retardent toxins these days ) , paint and many other items give off toxins. You should always make sure your house is ventilated, not just to care for your camera equipment, which can be replaced, but for you and family which can't be replaced
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3665 posts
18 years
Grimsby,
UK
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released