Cactus V5 Model Shoot

Tyr
Posted 06/03/2011 - 00:02 Link
Here is my first real attempt with the Cactus V5 radio triggers and two flashes. I've really got to thank my wife and her friend for being patient while I learn to use these new bits of kit.

Had 52 keepers out of 150 or so shots. Need to pay more attention to poses and shadows cast if I want a better ratio of good shots.

I'll only post a couple here but there are links to the sets at the bottom of the post if you want to see more.

Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


My Wife

Her Friend
Don
Posted 06/03/2011 - 00:10 Link
nice set, that is for sure!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Tyr
Posted 06/03/2011 - 00:19 Link
Thanks, was going to link them all in but am just too tired right now. Been shooting most of the day and then processing the images. I need to go to sleep.

Had a lot of fun. We'll be trying some other locations in future.

I did find I could do with a second light stand and umbrella. That will just have to wait for now, too many other things to get sorted out.
Frogfish
Posted 06/03/2011 - 09:36 Link
These are very good Tyr. The only one that doesn't work for me is #3 ... and I wish #1 had a little more fill lower down and a touch less on her face too. Your wife is lovely and very photogenic - especially so with the goth style, love it !
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
SmutjeUK
Posted 06/03/2011 - 10:42 Link
Great shot. Really like the Goth Style. The V5 seems to be a good piece of kit to have.
Well done.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
Tyr
Posted 06/03/2011 - 11:33 Link
Frogfish wrote:
These are very good Tyr. The only one that doesn't work for me is #3 ... and I wish #1 had a little more fill lower down and a touch less on her face too. Your wife is lovely and very photogenic - especially so with the goth style, love it !
I wasn't sure about the light on the skirt. It is quite dark, but there is a lot of detail there, just needs a bit of fill in lightroom. Was trying to focus the light on her face and corset though. It can be difficult to gauge the balance though, especially with Tue variability of viewing media. One reason I need to get more prints done.

SmutjeUK wrote:
Great shot. Really like the Goth Style. The V5 seems to be a good piece of kit to have.
Well done.
Thanks, it is a real joy to use these triggers. I do need to stop the flashes sleeping though. That is the only thing that annoyed me. We'd take a short break and I'd forget about Tue flashes sleeping angf they wouldn't fire until I went over to wake them up.

So far reliability is good and they are such fun. So much freedom of movement while still having full control of light is definitely an eye opening experience.
thoughton
Posted 07/03/2011 - 10:19 Link
Nice shots, great light and love the clothes. Nice tattoo too, the pastel-y colours are a nice contrast with the strong blacks and red hair.

Strangely I have a hard time telling the two women apart, even though they have different hair and clothes! The eyebrows save the day They are both very photogenic though, compliments to the models.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 07/03/2011 - 10:20
Tyr
Posted 07/03/2011 - 19:51 Link
thoughton wrote:
Nice shots, great light and love the clothes. Nice tattoo too, the pastel-y colours are a nice contrast with the strong blacks and red hair.

Strangely I have a hard time telling the two women apart, even though they have different hair and clothes! The eyebrows save the day They are both very photogenic though, compliments to the models.
She actually wanted high key but I couldn't find a suitable backdrop. The low key black worked rather well. I think we would have needed summer tanned skin for high key. May try it later in the year.

I'm bad with names but not faces. Perhaps a diagram would help
bwlchmawr
Posted 07/03/2011 - 19:53 Link
What striking images. I particularly like the light, sharpness and framing of the first one.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Tyr
Posted 07/03/2011 - 20:00 Link
bwlchmawr wrote:
What striking images. I particularly like the light, sharpness and framing of the first one.
In which case you'll probably like this one too:

Comment Image


The wife's favourite was:

Comment Image


While her friend's favourite was:

Comment Image


I'd have a hard time refining the 20 I posted to flickr to a smaller set.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo