PP Example - Any Hints/Tips?
Posted 06/03/2011 - 23:20 - Helpful Comment
Link
The problem here is the camera has exposed for the predominantoly dark area of the image, if it was shot in RAW then you need to adjust the RAW exposure first and then export it as a new jpeg before doing anything else.
I reckon this is easily overexposed by 1-2 stops,
The Software that came with the K5 is quite good and will easily sort out the exposure problem.
EDIT: Sorry I was looking at the last shot before tyoing my reply, the first shot is well over-exposed and you may have trouble restoring the exposure, but it is worth a try. do it in 1 stop steps and refer to the preview between stages
I reckon this is easily overexposed by 1-2 stops,
The Software that came with the K5 is quite good and will easily sort out the exposure problem.
EDIT: Sorry I was looking at the last shot before tyoing my reply, the first shot is well over-exposed and you may have trouble restoring the exposure, but it is worth a try. do it in 1 stop steps and refer to the preview between stages
Posted 06/03/2011 - 23:22
Link
It just looks like a red biased pic to me. Problem is unless you were their on the night it's going to look like a badly PPed pic.
I actually prefer the first version ( but it needs more contrast - particularly his face )
I actually prefer the first version ( but it needs more contrast - particularly his face )
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 06/03/2011 - 23:36
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
It just looks like a red biased pic to me. Problem is unless you were their on the night it's going to look like a badly PPed pic.
The intended audience will be primarily (I'd imagine almost exclusively) people who were there on the night. Plus it will be in the context of quite a few group shots in which the red lighting is clearly visible, i.e you can actually see some of the lights. In those particular shots the bright white flash light just looks plain wrong.
It just looks like a red biased pic to me. Problem is unless you were their on the night it's going to look like a badly PPed pic.
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Posted 06/03/2011 - 23:50 - Helpful Comment
Link
MarkTaylor wrote:
I wouldn't argue with that. flash in a club looks awful Smeggypants wrote:
It just looks like a red biased pic to me. Problem is unless you were their on the night it's going to look like a badly PPed pic.
The intended audience will be primarily (I'd imagine almost exclusively) people who were there on the night. Plus it will be in the context of quite a few group shots in which the red lighting is clearly visible, i.e you can actually see some of the lights. In those particular shots the bright white flash light just looks plain wrong.It just looks like a red biased pic to me. Problem is unless you were their on the night it's going to look like a badly PPed pic.
I would enhance your red a lot mroe though. much more contrast.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 06/03/2011 - 23:59
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
I wouldn't argue with that. flash in a club looks awful
I tried quite a few without the flash. Some of those with people basically standing still came out quite well. Those with people dancing, on the other hand, were almost all blurred, even with the ISO ramped up really high. Now if it were the kind of dancing where people didn't move their heads much, it wouldn't be too bad. You could get away with a bit of motion blur in the limbs giving a sense of movement and all that. However as mentioned this was rock and metal... rockers/metalheads just don't do non-head-moving type dancing. I wouldn't argue with that. flash in a club looks awful
If I do something similar in future I'll be tempted just to underexpose everything and rescue the exposures in PP. Allows using faster shutter speeds and is much easier than rescuing overexposures. Particularly with 14-bit RAW. However, I didn't really think it out too well beforehand and I can't go back and take the photos again.
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Posted 07/03/2011 - 00:41 - Helpful Comment
Link
Hi Mark,
I have to agree on the problems with flash, I steer clear of it most of the time.
Regarding the dancers, why not try some slow synch flash shots. I decided to try this after getting bored and frustrated of the results I was getting trying to shoot our rally crew in the pitch dark. I know its a completely different environment but the challenge is the same, and it could make for some interesting images in the club. I just experimented with different shutter speeds and following different moving subjects before firing the shutter. You need a good dose of luck but I feel it can inject a nice dynamic element.
A couple of examples:


I have to agree on the problems with flash, I steer clear of it most of the time.
Regarding the dancers, why not try some slow synch flash shots. I decided to try this after getting bored and frustrated of the results I was getting trying to shoot our rally crew in the pitch dark. I know its a completely different environment but the challenge is the same, and it could make for some interesting images in the club. I just experimented with different shutter speeds and following different moving subjects before firing the shutter. You need a good dose of luck but I feel it can inject a nice dynamic element.
A couple of examples:


My Images
K1 II|K3|DA10-17|DA*16-50|FA31|DA*50-135|DA*200|DA*300|Sigma 150-500
K1 II|K3|DA10-17|DA*16-50|FA31|DA*50-135|DA*200|DA*300|Sigma 150-500
Posted 07/03/2011 - 00:42
Link
What ISO is this shot?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 07/03/2011 - 00:43 - Helpful Comment
Link
Crossed-up wrote:
Hi Mark,
I have to agree on the problems with flash, I steer clear of it most of the time.
Regarding the dancers, why not try some slow synch flash shots.
Good idea. Dial in some underexposure for the flash too. like a stop at least.
Hi Mark,
I have to agree on the problems with flash, I steer clear of it most of the time.
Regarding the dancers, why not try some slow synch flash shots.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 07/03/2011 - 00:45
Link
I had a play; set levels black point, selected his face and neck, copied the selection into a new layer, adjusted into b&w then a bit of dodge and burn, reduced the layer opacity as required.
This is what I it turned out like
[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/Modified%20forum%20shots/Edit4MarkTaylor.jpg[/IMG]
I will of course remove if required to do so.
This is what I it turned out like
[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/Modified%20forum%20shots/Edit4MarkTaylor.jpg[/IMG]
I will of course remove if required to do so.
Colin
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
Posted 07/03/2011 - 09:51
Link
regards
Roy
Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/
my pbase gallery
Roy
Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/
my pbase gallery
Posted 07/03/2011 - 10:14
Link
CoDa's version is good.
Roy, too much clipping! LOL
I think the biggest problem with this type of shot is multi coloured light. Same with concerts, can be really difficult, especially as light levels keep changing!
Roy, too much clipping! LOL
I think the biggest problem with this type of shot is multi coloured light. Same with concerts, can be really difficult, especially as light levels keep changing!
Posted 07/03/2011 - 14:16
Link
The original seems overexposed to me. Here's my dialled down version, possibly slightly overdone
[IMG]http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/thoughton/IMGP1816.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/thoughton/IMGP1816.jpg[/IMG]
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 07/03/2011 - 15:56
Link
Quote:
Roy, too much clipping! LOL
i think you are right,having looked at them again
Roy, too much clipping! LOL
regards
Roy
Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/
my pbase gallery
Roy
Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/
my pbase gallery
Posted 07/03/2011 - 16:03
Link
The first step in editing is deciding which to keep and which to bin.
Before binning a shot take a moment to figure out what went wrong.
I suspect spot metering and manual settings would have served you well under those lighting conditions, as well as reviewing your shots and checking your histograms.
as for this shot, I'd bin it.
you might try adding some noise, b&w conversion or duo toning it for an Andy Worhal look...
sorry if that seems harsh.
but honestly, I try to think of photoshop as my spice rack... great for seasoning a well made dish, but all the seasoning in the world won't save a burnt mess stuck to the bottom of the pan...
blown highlights is blown. you cannot save what isn't in the file.
Before binning a shot take a moment to figure out what went wrong.
I suspect spot metering and manual settings would have served you well under those lighting conditions, as well as reviewing your shots and checking your histograms.
as for this shot, I'd bin it.
you might try adding some noise, b&w conversion or duo toning it for an Andy Worhal look...
sorry if that seems harsh.
but honestly, I try to think of photoshop as my spice rack... great for seasoning a well made dish, but all the seasoning in the world won't save a burnt mess stuck to the bottom of the pan...
blown highlights is blown. you cannot save what isn't in the file.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.




660 posts
15 years
Edinburgh,
Scotland
Last night I attended a reunion night for the Rock/Metal club I used to go to in my late teens / early 20s. The actual club closed its doors nearly 15 years ago now (makes me feel old!) so the reunion night was held in a nearby venue. I took a bunch of photos and have been asked for the best ones to go on a website for the event.
During the night with the ambient light being 'disco lighting' the lighting was predominantly red, with some blue and purple thrown in. I wanted to keep the appropriate (red) colour cast to the photos to give them a sense of the atmosphere on the night, but the ambient light was not bright enough to take sharp pictures, and the flash tended to wash out the colour of the light, not to mention producing quite a few overexposed faces.
Below is my attempt to compensate. Not the best picture of the night but a suitable example to work with as it had the flaws mentioned above plus a general lack of sharpness.
I first used RPP to create a custom white balance restoring the red light cast from the venue (and get rid of a rather unpleasant greenish cast - not quite sure where that came from as there were no green lights as far as I recall). Also used some sharpening, highlight restoration and so forth.
Then I imported into GIMP, cropped, resized and used the smudge tool plus a little dodge/burn to even out the skin tones a bit in an attempt to make the face look less overexposed (the highlight restoration in RPP had some effect but only went so far.) Anyway, below you can see the three stages. Any comments on how I could improve it further would be most welcome.
Original Camera JPEG, (Resized, Original was shot in RAW+ so this is the camera JPEG, not a JPEG version of the RAW file)...
[IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/msitaylor/Processing%20Stages/IMGP1816ocj.jpg[/IMG]
JPEG version of RAW file after processing in RPP (Resized)...
[IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/msitaylor/Processing%20Stages/IMGP1816RPP.jpg[/IMG]
'Final' JPEG after further processing in GIMP...
[IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/msitaylor/Processing%20Stages/IMGP1816.jpg[/IMG]