Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

CAA Lithium Battery Warning

steven9761
Posted 01/04/2014 - 09:09 Link
I only wish I was able to provide a link to the training dvd we were shown on the last DGR course I attended, which was provided to us by DHL, and approved as a training dvd by ICAO/IATA. After you've watched it, you will be in absolutely no doubt as to the carnage a faulty battery can cause. The only thing I can say in favour of "branded" batteries is that they usually conform to a higher standard within the manufacturing process. Cheaper batteries generally (but not typically) have poorly welded casings, and the problems associated with lithium batteries are that they react when exposed to air and/or moisture - spontaneous combustion being the biggest risk. At 35,000ft, you definitely don't want a fire in the hold!!
dpm
Posted 01/04/2014 - 09:26 Link
dangie wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:
..What do you mean by "fake" batteries?

There's a big difference between 3rd party batteries that haven't got the camera brand label on that are probably made in the same factory to the same specs and quality control, and "fake" counterfeit batteries that probably have a couple of AAA's soldered together in a plastic case..

Exactly. With Canon or Nikon (for example) name on them.

^ but we couldn't know that and even if we did should't talk about it...
dangie
Posted 01/04/2014 - 09:55 Link
dpm wrote:
dangie wrote:
Quote:
..What do you mean by "fake" batteries?

There's a big difference between 3rd party batteries that haven't got the camera brand label on that are probably made in the same factory to the same specs and quality control, and "fake" counterfeit batteries that probably have a couple of AAA's soldered together in a plastic case..

Exactly. With Canon or Nikon (for example) name on them.

^ but we couldn't know that and even if we did should't talk about it...

What don't we know? Counterfeit Canon and Nikon batteries exist.
Canon
ebay
Nikon
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
Smeggypants
Posted 01/04/2014 - 11:40 Link
steven9761 wrote:
I only wish I was able to provide a link to the training dvd we were shown on the last DGR course I attended, which was provided to us by DHL, and approved as a training dvd by ICAO/IATA. After you've watched it, you will be in absolutely no doubt as to the carnage a faulty battery can cause.

The reports of the faulty Boeing 787 lithium batteries used by the plane itself was a sure indicator of that

Quote:
The only thing I can say in favour of "branded" batteries is that they usually conform to a higher standard within the manufacturing process. Cheaper batteries generally (but not typically) have poorly welded casings ....

I don't see how something can be generally but not typically. It reads contradictory and if batteries that cost the usual market price (rather than the over inflated Pentax branded price of £55 )do generally, typically, usually have poorly welded casings then that would indicate that the vast majority of batteries in the world aren't manufactured properly. Is there any evidence of this or is it just a perception?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
gartmore
Posted 01/04/2014 - 12:06 Link
I have to agree with you, it is contradictory.

I don't doubt for a moment that there are perfectly good non OEM batteries on the market but there seems to be a general assumption that everything bought from ebay for £6.99 or something is equal. We just don't know if they are. We do know that there are dangerous forgeries on the market.

I'd rather just stick with genuine Pentax ones and they last the lifetime of the camera or more, why take a chance.

Incidentally the only lithium battery I have seen go on fire is a genuine Pentax one, but then a Labrador puppy had a hand, or rather teeth in it.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
dangie
Posted 01/04/2014 - 12:33 Link
gartmore wrote:
..I'd rather just stick with genuine Pentax ones and they last the lifetime of the camera or more, why take a chance

I quite understand you wanting to stick with genuine OEM batteries if you have an expensive camera, but in the mind of a sub £100 compact camera buyer no way are they going to be happy forking out half the price of the camera for a battery.

If it is correct that the danger problem lies with counterfeit poorly made batteries, then it should be asked why there is a market for them. Obviously this market exists because there is money to be made. Why is there money to be made? Simple. Because the genuine product is so expensive. Lower the cost of the genuine product and the market for counterfeit's will reduce considerably.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
gartmore
Posted 01/04/2014 - 13:13 Link
I take your point but I dont knoe any compact users with a spare battery and most people are using mobile phones now.

I Aston Martin cann taken in, what chance for the rest of us link
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Edited by gartmore: 01/04/2014 - 13:14
Smeggypants
Posted 01/04/2014 - 13:30 Link
gartmore wrote:
I have to agree with you, it is contradictory.

I don't doubt for a moment that there are perfectly good non OEM batteries on the market but there seems to be a general assumption that everything bought from ebay for £6.99 or something is equal. We just don't know if they are. We do know that there are dangerous forgeries on the market.

I'd rather just stick with genuine Pentax ones and they last the lifetime of the camera or more, why take a chance.

Because there's no evidence sticking a brand label on something suddenly makes it more safe or indeed higher quality. You can have nine or ten non branded batteries for the price of a branded one. Even if they each hold only half the charge you're still quids in.

As for dangerous forgeries, it makes more sense to me that if you're going to forge something then it's more likely that the branded version are going to be forged. There's no incentive to forge a £6 battery, but there's plenty of incentive to forge a £55 battery and sell it for £20.

Quote:

Incidentally the only lithium battery I have seen go on fire is a genuine Pentax one, but then a Labrador puppy had a hand, or rather teeth in it.

Crikey, I hope the poor doggie was OK?
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Smeggypants
Posted 01/04/2014 - 13:33 Link
gartmore wrote:
I take your point but I dont knoe any compact users with a spare battery and most people are using mobile phones now.

You do now. I have two spare batteries for my little Sony TX-5 compact. Yes they cost £4 each instead of something like £25 for the branded version. They work about 75% as well as the branded version. superb value.

Oh and I also have 2 spare batteries for my Nokia 808 mobile phone ( which I use as a camera ) - £1 each. And actually th3ey are genuine, but from an earlier discontinued model with slightly less capacity.

Quote:

I Aston Martin cann taken in, what chance for the rest of us link

Like I say they are forging expensive branded parts not generic OEM parts
gartmore
Posted 01/04/2014 - 13:52 Link
The dog survived, I had put one of the little Q batteries on a low table and then a few moments later thought I was losing my marbles and couldnt find it. Then a yelp and a clunk from the adjacent room. Startled dog and me startled at the sight of a smoking flaming battery with fizzing liquid coming out of it.
Ken
Smeggypants
Posted 01/04/2014 - 14:46 Link
gartmore wrote:
The dog survived, I had put one of the little Q batteries on a low table and then a few moments later thought I was losing my marbles and couldnt find it. Then a yelp and a clunk from the adjacent room. Startled dog and me startled at the sight of a smoking flaming battery with fizzing liquid coming out of it.

I can imagine. Our two puppies ( now 9 years old ) chewed everything when we first got them.
gartmore
Posted 01/04/2014 - 15:14 Link
You will imagine just how pissed off ii was that. It was a Pentax one and not a £6.99 unbranded one
Ken
Edited by gartmore: 01/04/2014 - 15:17
Smeggypants
Posted 01/04/2014 - 15:17 Link
gartmore wrote:
You will imagine just how pissed off it was a Pentax one and not a £6.99 un branded one

hehe another reason to buy non-branded versions.
JohnX
Posted 01/04/2014 - 17:38 Link
Seems that in the RC model world they have big problems with their LiPo batteries and buy LIPo Safe bags for when they are charging, transporting them, etc. The bags aren't expensive and seem to be flame retardant, so if anyone's concerned about all this could be worth a look?
spinno
Posted 02/04/2014 - 15:43 Link
JohnX wrote:
Seems that in the RC model world they have big problems with their LiPo batteries and buy LIPo Safe bags for when they are charging, transporting them, etc. The bags aren't expensive and seem to be flame retardant, so if anyone's concerned about all this could be worth a look?

is that LiPo as in suction?
David

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.