Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Bugger!

RobL
Posted 10/06/2015 - 14:56 Link
At the photographic show I took out amateur photographers equipment insurance with Glover & Howe for what seems a reasonable premium, assured by the young lady that this would cover me in all eventualities. Having glanced through the policy that is only if certain precautions are taken (house or car locked, equipment stored securely) and if the equipment isn't covered by another policy, presumably such as home contents or car insurance. It remains to be seen whether this will ever turn out to be useful and with so many get-out clauses I don't know whether Andy's unfortunate accident would qualify for a claim. Does anyone else have any experience of this policy?
andy_bell
Posted 19/06/2015 - 08:26 Link
Well some very good news, I phoned my insurance company yesterday as i have had the repair quotes in,
Had it ALL sorted out in a little over 20 mins.....
I e-mailed the quotes over and the assistant (who was brilliant) accepted them and approved the claim and told me it will be in my bank in 3-5 days.......Job done

So i will mention the company...it may surprise you.......AVIVA
I have had two claims recently unfortunately similar ones, but absolutely no quibbling at all
I can wholeheartedly recommend them for your insurance.
All i need is my camera and lens back.....

Andy
A few bits & Bobs
andy_bell
Posted 03/07/2015 - 12:43 Link
Got my lens back all sorted (21st)...... bar a deep scratch on the objective lens.....so back it went to Sigma for further repair....to be fair it possibly wouldn't have shown up in use, but if its being repaired anyway...........

K3 arrived back Yesterday (2nd), had a quick look with it at my usual repeatable target, the church tower 3/4of a mile away....it seems that it is sharper than it was before it went away.....certainly with the FA* 400......
Just need my Sigma 70-200 back now....
A few bits & Bobs
OldTaffy
Posted 03/07/2015 - 23:03 Link
I'm glad to know that it has worked out pretty well for you. Good to have a decent insurance company.

Years ago a strap broke when I was carrying a Spotmatic over my shoulder. It fell onto a concrete pavement, to my dismay. The lens hood was flattened (and thereby absorbed most of the impact) and the yellow filter smashed. Otherwise, the camera and standard 50mm lens seemed undamaged and continued to work fine. I still have the Spotmatic, but have not put a roll of film through it for a couple of years.

They don't make them like they used to!

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
stu62
Posted 04/07/2015 - 08:20 Link
it just proves how hit and miss insurance companys are

when i delt with said insurance company they was the biggist pain in the butt going and would not recomend them

regards stu
Horst
Posted 05/07/2015 - 06:19 Link
It also proves, what asset a lens hood is or could be..

Regards, Horst
50mpCMOS
Posted 05/07/2015 - 22:29 Link
Quote:
It also proves, what asset a lens hood is or could be..

I preferred to use a type of rubber lens hood if the angle of the lens permits it. But I've had many lenses retain damage with any of the variety of lens hood, rubber variety of lens hoods, or plastic compound, even variations of metal hoods.

Two worst examples... Sigma Green with custom made metal hood, receives hood damage so much that it had to be professionally removed at a shop. Leica f0.95 with built in hood; optics survived, but basically entire lens was replaced around it
dcweather
Posted 05/07/2015 - 23:11 Link
Jumbo48 wrote:
That's the reason I always put the seat belt round any camera equipment I carry in the car, plus it stops it being stolen if your in a traffic jam.

Good idea, never thought of that.
Dave
Horst
Posted 06/07/2015 - 00:30 Link
50mpCMOS wrote:

Quote:
I preferred to use a type of rubber lens hood if the angle of the lens permits it. But I've had many lenses retain damage with any of the variety of lens hood, rubber variety of lens hoods, or plastic compound, even variations of metal hoods.

What do you do with your lenses. The amount of damage yours receive is amazing.

Quote:
Two worst examples... Sigma Green with custom made metal hood, receives hood damage so much that it had to be professionally removed at a shop. Leica f0.95 with built in hood; optics survived, but basically entire lens was replaced around it

What would have happened to the glass without lens hoods?

It happened to me twice.

Once a long time ago with my Super-A and a A-50mm f1.4. I tripped on some stairs and the lens hood absorbed the shock. it had a small dent, but the lens was OK.
The second time was while i was walking, the strap got court on the edge of a park bench. The camera , a K5 with my favorite lens, a Pentax F-35-70 fell down. The lens hood had a ding, but the focusing mechanism of the lens was kaput. Next day I bought a new one on Ebay.
But it shows you the difference between metal and plastic made lenses.

Regards, Horst

Regards, Horst
Edited by Horst: 06/07/2015 - 00:40
Posted 03/08/2016 - 14:25 Link
Umm, in 1988 my wife dropped my 1970s Pentax ME super over the first floor landing's banisters down to the Welsh slate floor of the hall. I continued to use it in 1/125 non-battery mechanical shutter mode, via a paper clip down the new hole where the button was, no metering and I taped up the awfully bent back each reloading of film, to light seal it and keep it shut. Poverty is the mother of improvisation.
Around the same time my toddler son grabbed my SME arm by the Stanton Triple EEE cartridge and bent it up over its mount from which there was no recovery possible. Oh, sorry, wrong forum

Black tape proved useful again with a recent ebay lens with no cap. A few turns round the lens rim and a plastic Bisto lid fits great.
IMA CARDIE
Horst
Posted 03/08/2016 - 14:51 Link
imacardie wrote:

Quote:
Around the same time my toddler son grabbed my SME arm by the Stanton Triple EEE cartridge and bent it up over its mount from which there was no recovery possible. Oh, sorry, wrong forum

I was married in 1970. This was also the time when I bought my first Pentax, a Spotmatic.
A few days after my honeymoon, after arriving home from work, I found my wife in tears.
She tried to do the right thing and cleaned my turntable and also the Ortofon SL15 Cardridge.
The turntable was nice and clean and the Stylus and cantelever of the cardridge was missing.
However the honeymoon was not over and I gave her a big hug. After we made up in a most pleasent way.

Regards, Horst

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.