Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Book Cover Project

Puggy
Posted 17/05/2014 - 16:26 Link
Hi Folks

I've been working with my daughter to produce a book cover for her final college project, I'd really appreciate your feedback and comments on any improvements that could be made.

The book is a novella length ghost story and the cover is meant to invoke the idea that the main character is living in a world where the dead are manifest only to him.

If all turns out to plan the cover will wrap around the book and the tree placed middle frame should show up on the spine.

The image was produced by taking two shots, first a six second exposure (10 stop filter) with the "ghosts" standing still for two seconds then moving directly away from camera and the second shot a normal exposure with just the model. We then got the levels as close to each other as we could manage in Camera Raw and merged the two images with a layer mask and painting in the model and his shadow.

Weather was far from ideal, when we tested without people it was dead calm and the trees were pin sharp.

I understand the heavy PP won't suit everyone's taste but it is a ghost story and my daughter likes it hehe. I'd happily make the originals available if anyone would like a go at an alternative PP

Comment Image
My Photos link
Me link
MattyH
Posted 17/05/2014 - 16:38 Link
I like, but just wondering how it will fit on a book cover which is normally in portrait format?
Puggy
Posted 17/05/2014 - 16:50 Link
It will wrap round so the model will be on the front cover, the tree and path should be on the spine and the "ghosts" that are on the left of the shot will be the back cover.

It may need a crop to closer to 16/9 depending on how many pages she turns out
My Photos link
Me link
CMW
Posted 18/05/2014 - 10:29 Link
I'd suggest that the image is a little too 'busy'. I appreciate that it is attempting to convey the book's subject, but it has perhaps let the ideas trump the visual impact.

Is there enough visual space for the title (assuming it's going at the top)? Ideally, you need more sky. Although the area reserved for the spine is clear of people, the bushes and trees, the sky, and the pathway are very different (and therefore difficult) backgrounds for the lettering (author name, title, imprint) to run through. The lettering is unlikely to have an even prominence, crucial on a spine. I would suggest interrupting the wrap-round and running a solid colour down the spine (for over-printing or reversing out of).
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
Gravelrash
Posted 18/05/2014 - 10:35 Link
I really like what you have done and think it is very worthy of the cover.

Given the subject matter of the book I think mono may be worth a visit. Give it a try with slightly over done highlights and shadows.
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
Smeggypants
Posted 18/05/2014 - 11:24 Link
I think it works as a wrap around cover. Interesting on the B&W suggestion. You could have both....colour for the front and spine and mono for the rear
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 18/05/2014 - 11:31 Link
Coming from a graphic design background I would say you have it perfect, you may have to crop but apart from that, very appealing
Gamka
Posted 18/05/2014 - 12:44 Link
Very Good.

look at it as three separate images - front, spine and back. None look too busy to me and each will work on its own as well as an overall image.
Puggy
Posted 18/05/2014 - 14:55 Link
Thanks for the comments.

Adding the lettering will be my daughters job, I do see the point about keeping the prominence which is something we hadn't considered, maybe will look at reducing the opacity on the spine and back?

I had already processed a B&W version which I like much better as a standalone image. My daughter wasn't so keen ( I think she pretty much hates any media in B&W since I made her watch Brief Encounter lol )

I like Smeggy's idea but maybe front colour, spine and back mono

here's the mono version

Comment Image
My Photos link
Me link
Gravelrash
Posted 18/05/2014 - 15:35 Link
1. Smeggy's idea works for me.

2. I think that once the lettering is added in colour she may feel differently.

3. Just do what your daughter says. Life's too short haha
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
jeffstclair
Posted 18/05/2014 - 15:58 Link
I really like the feel of this,it makes you want to find out more ,so for a book jacket a good thing .
For me the building stage right is a distraction IMHO .... jeff..
CMW
Posted 18/05/2014 - 16:04 Link
Gravelrash's third point seems sound advice!

As a parting comment, do consider the lettering and photo in tandem. It'll be the difference between a successful and not so successful design. On the back, eg, will there be a blurb? (It would be usual to have one there, unless you are producing a jacket with flaps.) If so, where will it go and how will it contend with the figures in the photo?
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
johnriley
Posted 18/05/2014 - 16:27 Link
Would it have worked better if shot in a graveyard, perhaps with one of those small chapels we often see there in the background?
Best regards, John
Posted 18/05/2014 - 16:41 Link
Cliché perhaps
johnriley wrote:
Would it have worked better if shot in a graveyard, perhaps with one of those small chapels we often see there in the background?

Posted 18/05/2014 - 16:43 Link
You are not with it, your daughter knows best in this case,
Puggy wrote:
Thanks for the comments.

Adding the lettering will be my daughters job, I do see the point about keeping the prominence which is something we hadn't considered, maybe will look at reducing the opacity on the spine and back?

I had already processed a B&W version which I like much better as a standalone image. My daughter wasn't so keen ( I think she pretty much hates any media in B&W since I made her watch Brief Encounter lol )

I like Smeggy's idea but maybe front colour, spine and back mono

here's the mono version

Comment Image

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.