Rhayader

percy

Link Posted 18/05/2014 - 16:11
A few from a trip around the dams in the Elan Valley, and the Red Kites (plus an opportunist) at Gigrin Farm on Friday.

Wasn't overly happy with most of the BIF pictures - most of which were just not sharp enough for my liking! More practice needed I think. Any advice on BIF photography will be welcome

Gravelrash

Link Posted 18/05/2014 - 16:29
I'm no bird expert but I'd be thinking about lens movement at 300mm (I'm guessing you weren't using a pod) as well as the bird's movement.

I would also be trying to give myself a break with the field of view so trying for something around the F12 mark with a shutter speed between 500 and 1000/sec to reduce the problems of camera/subject movement.

I'm sure one of the more talented and experienced will jump onto this subject for you.

Looks like you captured the day though. Shame it wasn't brighter but in this Country you have to work with it lol
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?

percy

Link Posted 18/05/2014 - 16:40
No, all hand held. Took a monopod but didn't use it as these birds were just darting around and changing direction so quickly. I think you're right - a smaller aperture would have helped, at the cost of higher ISO and slower shutter! I'll have to try again later in the year

Blythman

Link Posted 18/05/2014 - 18:29
Don't be too hard on yourself Percy. These are so acrobatic its very difficult.

Its just practice, practice, practice. F8 would have increased your chances, but then you'd have had to double the ISO to 1600. Probably a trade off worth doing. I wouldn't go with a slower shutter speed
Alan

PPG
Flickr

percy

Link Posted 18/05/2014 - 19:11
Blythman wrote:
F8 would have increased your chances, but then you'd have had to double the ISO to 1600. Probably a trade off worth doing.

Thanks for that tip. I'll give that a try next time. As you say, lots more practice needed

I set everything up with manual settings, but when I got home wondered if TAV mode with 2 or 3 stops exposure compensation might have worked - but I guess switching between 'sky' shots and those with a landscape background would have scuppered that idea

mrfrosty

Link Posted 18/05/2014 - 20:11
I went there in March this year around the valley and a trip to the farm { great place } I don't think I am good enough to advise anyone but for what its worth I set my shutter speed to 1000 / turned off i/s / auto iso up to 3200 / got quite a few shots in focus but quite a few just not sharp . Maybe I should have closed lens down a little but for me I seem to need at least 1000 shutter speed to do any good.
Dave.

percy

Link Posted 19/05/2014 - 01:02
Hi Gareth,
I'm in Hereford itself now, but am pretty familiar with the Credenhill side of town

Smeggypants

Link Posted 19/05/2014 - 03:21
percy wrote:

Wasn't overly happy with most of the BIF pictures - most of which were just not sharp enough for my liking! More practice needed I think. Any advice on BIF photography will be welcome

Oh FFS, stop being obsessed with sharpness.

The last three pics in this set are great. Their value is in the action and the composition, not the sharpness.

Yes you could stop down to F8 to give a bit more DOF to get more keepers in focus but only for #4. The shallow DOF works in #3 and #5 as it adds depth to the image. Far more important than sharp, sharp, sharpity, sharp!

#4 of course can get away with any DOF as there's no depth to speak of given the lack of background/foreground.

#4 is fantastic and if the lack of sharpness annoys you that much then sharpen it up in post processing. easily done.

p.s that Fox's tail is bugging me. Topiary?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Blythman

Link Posted 19/05/2014 - 07:06
Smeggypants wrote:

Yes you could stop down to F8 to give a bit more DOF to get more keepers in focus but only for #4. The shallow DOF works in #3 and #5 as it adds depth to the image. Far more important than sharp, sharp, sharpity,

The depth of field at 15 m increases from 0.55 metres to 0.78 metres when moving from f5.6 to f8 prior to cropping. Giving a slightly increased latitude for focus but having minimal impact on the out of focus background.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

percy

Link Posted 19/05/2014 - 08:06
Smeggypants wrote:

p.s that Fox's tail is bugging me. Topiary?

Must have annoyed someone at the poodle parlour!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.