Bigger lenses

GrumpyGrandPa

Link Posted 11/07/2021 - 19:08
Not a lot about this afternoon. But I kept walking and eventually got one reasonable shot - Black Headed Gull on a speedy fly past, along the River Hull.
Pentax K-S2 with Tamron 18-250mm lens at f6.3 and 1/40th sec panning (roughly) along the flightpath!
Not sure if i could have got a better shot with a longer, heavier lens - but . . . . .

Grumpy GrandPa, Recently Retired.
K-S2 and suffering from a relapse and so now buying digital camera kit - started with a little Lumix TZ80 and now LBA has re-occured for my K-S2. Not sure where it will lead!
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 40 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more

GrumpyGrandPa

Link Posted 16/07/2021 - 20:21
LBA: Can anyone explain this please re how it starts?
I'm rather concerned as I have just purchased a Pentax-da 55-300mm f4.5-6.3 ed plm wr as it is a tiny bit longer and faster at focussing on my K-S2 and am now thinking about a 1.4 or 1.7 converter.......

I may be able to be treated though as I am sure I have read somewhere that a tc may not work with this lens !
K-S2 and suffering from a relapse and so now buying digital camera kit - started with a little Lumix TZ80 and now LBA has re-occured for my K-S2. Not sure where it will lead!
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 40 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more
Last Edited by GrumpyGrandPa on 16/07/2021 - 20:23

Lubbyman

Link Posted 16/07/2021 - 21:41
GrumpyGrandPa wrote:

Congratulations. You have taken the first step on the slippery slope... and you have explained with admirable clarity how it has started for you. And it will continue. No lens is ever long enough for wildlife. No lens is ever wide enough for architecture or landscape. No lens is ever fast enough to photograph black cats in dark rooms. No lens is ever perfectly sharp with absolutely no abberations. And every lens that takes you towards the ultimate goal weighs more than the one before, so then the quest for lighter lenses starts. Followed by a passion for primes. And nostalgia for the old classics. Good luck!!!

Steve

Helpful

greentricky

Link Posted 16/07/2021 - 22:18
GrumpyGrandPa wrote:
I'm rather concerned as I have just purchased a Pentax-da 55-300mm f4.5-6.3 ed plm wr as it is a tiny bit longer and faster at focussing on my K-S2 and am now thinking about a 1.4 or 1.7 converter.......

I may be able to be treated though as I am sure I have read somewhere that a tc may not work with this lens !

The 1.4x works but you are at f9 at 300mm with it, so I wouldn't want to try the 1.7x. I use the 1.4x but only on very bright days, anything less than sunshine and you are better off cropping.
Pentax K-50
https://www.flickr.com/photos/103386117@N06/

Helpful

Mike-P

Link Posted 17/07/2021 - 07:40
I purchased the 55-300mm PLM for when I don't want to carry my 150-450mm and the 1.4x does work on it although tbh the quality hit makes it a non starter for me.

I was surprised how fast it focuses, I use it in crop mode on my K-1 and the PLM motor is excellent.
. My Flickr

Helpful

jeallen01

Link Posted 17/07/2021 - 18:02
Mike-P wrote:
I purchased the 55-300mm PLM for when I don't want to carry my 150-450mm and the 1.4x does work on it although tbh the quality hit makes it a non starter for me.

I was surprised how fast it focuses, I use it in crop mode on my K-1 and the PLM motor is excellent.

Mike

Did you ever try a comparison between the original Sigma 1.4x TC and the Pentax 1.4x AW TC on any (of many! ) of your Sigma 100-300 F4 lenses on a K-3 or K-3 II?

If so, what were your impressions as to which TC came out the "best"?
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Helpful

Mike-P

Link Posted 17/07/2021 - 18:13
jeallen01 wrote:

Mike

Did you ever try a comparison between the original Sigma 1.4x TC and the Pentax 1.4x AW TC on any (of many! ) of your Sigma 100-300 F4 lenses on a K-3 or K-3 II?

If so, what were your impressions as to which TC came out the "best"?

I think I have had 4 ...... so far, the only lens I have had more of is the DA*50-135mm

I tried the Sigma 1.4x and 2x, Pentax 1.4x and 1.7x and the Kenko 1.5x.

By the time I sold the last 100-300mm the only converter I used with it was the Pentax, partly because the IQ was very slighty better than the sigma converter but also you got full exif readout which means SR was working properly.
. My Flickr

Helpful

jeallen01

Link Posted 17/07/2021 - 18:19
Mike

Thanks.

Your comment "only converter I used with it was the Pentax, partly because the IQ was very slightly better than the sigma converter" seems to mirror my experience with my own V2 100-300 - but that was based on only a very brief comparison of the combos in our back garden (due to lockdowns and much reduced personal mobility) over the last year or so.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Helpful

Chrism8

Link Posted 17/07/2021 - 19:19
I've tried the 150 - 450 on the K3iii and have been pleased with the results, intend to try an early Sigma 100 - 300 F4 tomorrow.

I do need to get up to the mach loop to give the K3iii a decent trial, hopefully latter this year.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

Helpful

Mike-P

Link Posted 18/07/2021 - 07:14
Chrism8 wrote:

I do need to get up to the mach loop to give the K3iii a decent trial, hopefully latter this year.

I had today booked off work for RIAT.
. My Flickr

Helpful

GrumpyGrandPa

Link Posted 19/07/2021 - 14:49
Mike-P wrote:
Chrism8 wrote:

I had today booked off work for RIAT.

Hope you got some great pix

Mike-P

Link Posted 19/07/2021 - 15:43
GrumpyGrandPa wrote:

Hope you got some great pix

It was cancelled due to covid.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 19/07/2021 - 15:43
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.