The new DA* 16-50mm f2.8

Nigelk

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 10:36
Looks like this long anticipated lens is close to arriving on the shelves. I'm sure it will be a great performer.

https://www.mikemuizebelt.nl/pentax-hd-16-50mm-f2-8-ed-plm-aw/

And the Ricoh site
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/star_lens/special/sp_da16-50/ind...
Last Edited by Nigelk on 15/07/2021 - 10:38

MrB

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 11:30
Nigelk wrote:
Looks like this long anticipated lens is close to arriving on the shelves. I'm sure it will be a great performer.

At 1499.99 it certainly should be!

Philip

maranatha

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 11:36
wow Can:t believe that price

MrB wrote:
Nigelk wrote:

At 1499.99 it certainly should be!

Philip

A question is only easy when you know the answer ..

maranatha

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 11:41
could someone explain how $1400 US dollars translates into 1500 uk pounds

DPREVIEW Ricoh announces HD Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 lens, set to go on sale in August for $1,400
A question is only easy when you know the answer ..

Nigelk

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 12:22
Given pricing of new camera gear recently I don't feel surprised by the price. Am I willing to pay that price is another matter.
Certainly not used to seeing a higher price in over $. I find the 16-85mm to be a very good lens optically so, don't know I need the f2.8, probably not at the full retail price.
I am however very happy to see continued investment in top end APS-c gear. Always nice to have options and temptations

pschlute

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 12:23
maranatha wrote:

That will be the commission Sir

The Americans always seem to get a better deal on list prices, although remember State and local sales taxes are added to the listed price (8-10%). Even so it is much cheaper.

I reckon the lens will eventually be retailing for the usual (roughly) 10% discount to Ricoh list price so around 1,350.
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 15/07/2021 - 12:25

MrB

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 12:59
So the recent trend in Pentax pricing is for APS-C gear to be significantly more expensive than the FF equivalents?

Philip

Nigelk

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 13:29
MrB wrote:
So the recent trend in Pentax pricing is for APS-C gear to be significantly more expensive than the FF equivalents?

Philip

I think we need to wait and see what pricing for the next top end FF bit of kit that comes out

Lubbyman

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 16:14
MrB wrote:

Optically, the closest FF lens to the new 16-50 is the 15-30 f2.8 and that's about the same price. Comparing with the FF 24-70 is a bit of a red herring, optics cares nothing for sensor size, but it does care about focal length and shorter seems to be more difficult to do really well. Given that the 16-50 has PLM focus and longer zoom range it's surprising it isn't more expensive than the FF 15-30. Perhaps it's counterbalanced by only needing to produce superb image quality for a smaller area at the sensor plane.

maranatha wrote:

See threads about launch price of K3III, K3II, K3, K1II, K1, K5 (various) and lenses too numerous to mention. It's almost certainly a financial thing, not a pricing thing. Taxes, size of market, exchange rate volatility and trends, when forward currency purchase contracts are made so as to avoid being hit by currency fluctuations etc. etc. The spot exchange rate is not a good basis for trying to understand prices.

As for me, gotta agree with this...
Nigelk wrote:
I find the 16-85mm to be a very good lens optically so, don't know I need the f2.8

Steve

pschlute

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 19:56
MrB wrote:

Philip

No one is forcing you to buy the lens.

The choice is yours. Either say yes I want that, or no I don't.
Peter

My Flickr page

MrB

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 20:14
pschlute wrote:

No one is forcing you to buy the lens.

Did I suggest that they were? I merely posed an observational query, to which Nigel gave a reasonable explanation - thank you Nigel.

pschlute wrote:

The choice is yours. Either say yes I want that, or no I don't.

I am grateful to be given the choice and my response is, "No I don't, thank you."

As always, to each his own.

Cheers.
Philip

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 21:05
Looks very nice quality...however does seem very expensive in UK for no good reason.

Euro price is EUR 1499...about 1350 and we all know that US price is always lower than UK or EU.

I think 'our' price is a try-on to see how much extra profit Ricoh can make from 'Treasure island' .

I can't afford it so academic really...however SRS is selling the 16-85WR on their ebay site (new) for 525.

You could buy 2.85 x 16-85WR for the price of 1 x 16-50 PLM.

Ok ...you lose out on the f2.8 which is useful...but gain on focal range...much more useful than on 16-50.

I suspect it will drop in price very quickly to match the EU price otherwise why wouldn't you just import one from EU?

pschlute

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 21:13
This forum seems to filled full of posts from folk who want new lenses and cameras then moan about the price when something new is released.

Rinse and repeat for over 10 years now.

Go and find something cheaper if you can is my advice.

Or just ignore it and keep moaning if that makes you happy/sad.
Peter

My Flickr page

Mike-P

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 21:46
1stEverPentax wrote:

I suspect it will drop in price very quickly to match the EU price otherwise why wouldn't you just import one from EU?

Because we have to pay 20% VAT plus other costs as we are no longer part of the EU?
. My Flickr

MrB

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 21:53
MrB wrote:

I merely posed an observational query, to which Nigel gave a reasonable explanation - thank you Nigel.

Apologies, Steve - the response giving an explanation to my query was yours, thank you.

Cheers.
Philip
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.