Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Best Film body to get.

ilovesaabs
Posted 20/01/2013 - 14:45 Link
Why not a Z-1p OH? When I gave myselfa choice of keeping my Z-1, Z-1p or MZ-S, I sold the MZ-S - although it's a beauty the Z-1s were better tools in my opinion.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Algernon
Posted 20/01/2013 - 16:23 Link
The Z-1p is a great camera. It has the two control wheels that
a digital has and also Hyper Mode which meant that if you
changed aperture or f stop using a wheel the camera set the
other one to whatever the meter reading needed.

Hard to find the Grip as well, but with it, it was the
best handling camera Pentax ever made. It just became part
of your hand.

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 20/01/2013 - 16:24
Hardgravity
Posted 20/01/2013 - 17:43 Link
We're drifting a little here, The Z-1p may have manual settings, as does the MZ series, but the original question is which MF camera.

I still think an MX, ME, or MV. But then again there's the P30 series, all good cameras, easy to find and a pleasure to use.

If offertonhatter just wanted manual settings then he has a MZ-5n, just flip the switch!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
spinno
Posted 20/01/2013 - 18:00 Link
MZ-M would be my choice. PASM all available (with the right lenses) what's not to like?
David
AndrewA
Posted 20/01/2013 - 18:21 Link
The ME Super is a great place to start, cheap and plentiful, then when you feel confident enough the MX?
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
Edited by AndrewA: 20/01/2013 - 18:23
JohnMcD
Posted 20/01/2013 - 20:00 Link
If it's just manual focus manual everything and small then I'd agree with most folks and vote for the MX. I've been using one that I bought 2nd hand in 1984 and it's never let me down. I did have it serviced once as the rubber had started to perish but that happens to all old cameras.

The best autofocus Pentax I ever had was the MZ5 which was very small, light and the pictures came out well exposed and in focus. This replaced my MX in 1996 when it came out.

The "nicest" autofocus camera I ever had was the Z1 / Z1P great spec beautifull to hold but inaccurate auto focus on both of mine.

Have never tried one but the MZ-M is small and light too.
Pentaxophile
Posted 20/01/2013 - 22:27 Link
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I think the MF body with the best ergonomics in the P30N. Older cmaeras are nicer overall to use but have much worse ergonomics.

I agree. The P30 and P30n are actually great to use. I have the MX which is a jewel. But the shutter speed dial is not as easy to operate. I have the SuperA. Nice to have Tv mode, but those tiny buttons are of the devil. Another point in favour of the P series cameras is they don't suffer from gummy light seals.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
ronniemac
Posted 21/01/2013 - 01:23 Link
Whoa! No one has mentioned the venerable KX.

My first Pentax was the MX, such a neat camera. The only fault I found with it was that when shooting into bright light, the led's can be difficult to see; although I never told him, I preferred the needle in my brother's OM1.

I now have the KX as well and enjoy that even more, it is as robust as the K1000 (It will outlive you!)but has all the functionality of the MX - plus a needle exposure indicator and mirror lock up!

If you want to go small and have more automation, the Super A takes the biscuit, but for the real feel of manual, choose one of the X's (K, L, or M).

But hey, don't take my word for it. Look at what other users say on link. The K2DMD is the most highly rated Pentax, but the KX is a very close second, beats both the LX and MX - these are ratings by users. There are not so many about because it was quickly superseded by the MX when small is beautiful became the mantra. They can be picked up for much less than £50 - got mine for £25 on ebay less than a year ago.

Whatever you buy, I promise you will enjoy the investment.
Edited by ronniemac: 21/01/2013 - 01:26
womble
Posted 21/01/2013 - 09:58 Link
I have a KX too but the fact you have to have the wind-on lever sticking in your eye in order to activate the light meter drives me nuts. I believe that you can have it modified to remove that "feature" but it isn't trivial.

Having used many (but by no means all) Pentax film cameras my favourite is the LX, followed by the MX, the KX and the ME Super (presuming we are sticking to K mount cameras).

My problem (and I emphasise that it is my problem!) with cameras like the SFXn is that they are just a bit too much like using a dSLR. I shoot film partly because I like using older cameras. Using an all singing all dancing whizz bang auto everything film camera, to me, is like having the worst aspects of using a dSLR mixed in with the expense and inconvenience of film. I guess I'm not unique in this in that later all-singing film cameras generally sell for less than older manual cameras.

Anyway, back to the original posting. I still recommend the MX, although I agree the ME Super is lovely (my first ever SLR!) and they are as cheap as chips. I've never used any of the P series camera so I cannot comment there.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
gwing
Posted 21/01/2013 - 13:11 Link
My vote goes to the MX. I bought an early one pretty soon after the model was introduced and loved it so much that, until the istD came along, nothing ever replaced it. Not even the LX I briefly flirted with.
davidaitch
Posted 21/01/2013 - 14:13 Link
My vote goes to the Super A, with an ME11 winder. I'd used earlier Pentax models but have always, since I got my Super A,sworn by it. After age began to tell on my eyes I switched to MZ7 and MZ5n and love them both.
Still have the film cameras and sometimes use them but most things are now done with the K20D.
ASa
Posted 21/01/2013 - 17:09 Link
Not that I'd have too much experience on the film bodies, as I only have an ME Super, but at least with that one the value is great! I bought mine for 25€, and that included a bag, Starblitz flash and an M 40-80 2.8-4 lens. Ergonomically speaking it's probably not the best one out there, but the metal build really makes it appear like a tank that would last over nuclear war. The included manual mode makes it a must have over the ME.
However I would like to have the Super A (or Super Program, same thing). In a similar body you'll get the possibility to adjust aperture in body. This opens up a huge range of lenses which you'll enjoy using on film and digital. Later aperture capable bodies have plasticy build which for me is a slight turn off.
Oh, and regarding batteries, get yourself a CR-1 for the camera to replace the double S/LR-44's, and you've got yourself a cheap battery that'll probably last the better part of your life.
Recently aquired LBA.
johnriley
Posted 21/01/2013 - 17:46 Link
Just a word of caution that lithium batteries are not suitable for use in the MX and ME type cameras. I think they are OK from Super A onwards. The reason may be heat generation, or maybe voltage, but their use is specifically excluded in later instructions.
Best regards, John
Hardgravity
Posted 21/01/2013 - 18:08 Link
And why panic about battery costs when LR44's are available on cards of 10 for less than £1.50!

That's at Boyes by the way.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
ASa
Posted 21/01/2013 - 18:28 Link
Interesting, I'm currently using the CR1 in my ME Super, and so far so good. In the manual for Super A it is specified that it can take two 1,5V batteries or one 3V lithium battery.
I have a feeling that this isn't stated previously due to the fact that lithium batteries didn't really exist commonly until the release of the Super A. But not to start an argue with it, if you say so I do believe it's not recommended. I'll let you know if anything happens to my beloved ME Super!
Recently aquired LBA.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.