Z1-p body

Monobod

Link Posted 21/04/2011 - 16:50
Hi,

Am I correct in assuming that the contact on the lens mount that is used to power the 28-105 zoom will also drive the autofocus motor on the latest Pentax lenses?

I know the K-5 uses the focus motor contact to drive the power zoom, so I assumed it would work the other way around.

Thanks.
Last Edited by Monobod on 21/04/2011 - 16:50

Algernon

Link Posted 21/04/2011 - 17:35
Unless it's mentioned in the specification for the Z1-P
I wouldn't think so.

Also have a look at the Dimitrov site to see when the 1st lens
with that motor was introduced. If it's not an FA lens it's
most unlikely that one would work.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Dangermouse

Link Posted 21/04/2011 - 18:14
AFAIK these contacts will not drive an SDM motor. I know I've tried a Bigma with an MZ-10 and it wouldn't AF.

I just wish Pentax had kept Power Zoom on all the DSLR bodies. I've got one of the lenses but my K-m doesn't support it.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Algernon

Link Posted 21/04/2011 - 18:43
The K10D supports PZ OK and I'm sure my K20D will, never tried it
though..... I'll have to dig out the old 28-80mm which has PZ
to check. I used to use it quite a bit a few years ago on longer
zooms.

Algi

johnwhit

Link Posted 21/04/2011 - 18:50
Algernon wrote:
The K10D supports PZ OK and I'm sure my K20D will, never tried it
though..... I'll have to dig out the old 28-80mm which has PZ
to check. I used to use it quite a bit a few years ago on longer
zooms.

K20D does support PZ, I have the 28-105.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

Algernon

Link Posted 21/04/2011 - 19:10
Thanks John...... Handy to know

Algi

fatspider

Link Posted 21/04/2011 - 19:35
Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that the contact on the lens mount that is used to power the 28-105 zoom will also drive the autofocus motor on the latest Pentax lenses?

Power Zoom Contacts in Film bodies will not drive the motor in SDM lenses, they will supply power to it but the lens also needs additional AF information via the mount contacs so the SDM motor will not function. Also I cant think of any SDM lenses that are designated DFA, DA lenses are designed for APS-c sensors and so the outer edges of the frame on a 35mm camera will suffer.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

johnwhit

Link Posted 21/04/2011 - 19:37
Algernon wrote:
Thanks John...... Handy to know

Hi Algi, I've not used mine much lately but keep thinking it may be good for the steam specials as I rarely need anything wider than 28mm, I wonder how fast the focussing speed is

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

Monobod

Link Posted 22/04/2011 - 10:10
Is it a case of internal wiring in the lens, because the contact on the lens mount is in the same place. I suppose on the Z1-p it is live all of the time from the body side, so that the lens can use it for the zoom whenever needed.

I think I will need to check this out with Pentax technical.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 22/04/2011 - 20:35
From what I've seen, Pentax seem to have kept PZ on the more expensive bodies and those with rechargeable batteries. The K7 will do it but not the K-m/K-x/K-r which are designed to be able to run from AAs. Presumably they decided that there would be too much current draw from AAs to ensure 100% reliable operation.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Monobod

Link Posted 08/02/2013 - 15:47
I have found that my K-5 body will power the zoom on the 28-105 f/4 lens.

johnha

Link Posted 12/02/2013 - 23:46
The PZ functionality didn't offer too much additional functionality and drained the Z-1(p)'s 2CR5 battery too much to be of any real use. I used mine almost exclusively in manual zoom at the time.

The Z-1(p) doesn't know anything about SDM lenses and doesn't have the logic to focus them using the SDM system (then again it was released almost 20yrs before SDM!).

The K-5 will power-zoom the PZ lenses although without the special zoom modes of the Z-1(p) (it still doesn't really offer anything but drains the battery less).
PPG Flickr

Monobod

Link Posted 13/02/2013 - 00:52
Agreed, it is not much use without the focus tracking.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.