Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Battery problems with Ist DL2

This topic has a poll - login to enter
Posted 24/08/2009 - 14:50 Link
Does anyone else have the same problem as I experience with AA rechargeable batteries in the Ist DL2? Even after newly charging a set of batteries (Ansmann - not recharged too many times) when I put them in the camera it records them as not being charged. HAve tried many different types of rechargeables and even wrote to Pentax Technical whizzes, but no help. If you have experienced the same problem or have any suggestions please come back to me. I'm a new user on the Forum but have had the Ist for a number of years and also have a K10D, with which I have no battery problems at all.
Pwynnej
Posted 24/08/2009 - 15:24 Link
Hi,
Does this problem affect only the rechargeable batteries you mention??? Is it a new problem, ie they have worked fine before?

I am not sure that the power of the batteries has anything to do with it, but if the camera works fine with lithium (which are best in my opinion) or alkaline then I struggle to work out what the problem might be....

Good luck
Peter
Father Ted
Posted 24/08/2009 - 15:28 Link
I have this problem, but cleaning the contacts helps. Also, for some strange reason, when I continue to use batteries which are showing as half full, after a few shots, they then show as full.

I've just learnt to live with it, and keep a spare set to hand
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
grahamwalton
Posted 24/08/2009 - 22:10 Link
I had similar problems with my istDL2. I changed to Uniross Hybrio rechargables and have had no further problems. Hybrio batteries come ready charged and have low drain technology. Others have said that Sanyo Eneloop batteries are similar.
Friendly Regards
Graham
Posted 25/08/2009 - 10:23 Link
To Pwynnej, Father Ted and grahamwalton:

Thanks so much for your replies. Could not work out how to reply to you individually, but have tried many types of battery, all with the same result. Have not tried the ones specified by Graham, so will try to get some of them and see if I fare any better.

Many thanks
gillyflower.:
Mongoose
Posted 25/08/2009 - 10:24 Link
bizarely I have this problem only if I DO use Uniross Hybrio batteries, standard NiMH's work fine in my DL2.

I did have a similar problem a couple of years ago which turned out to be my battery charger, have you tried borrowing a friends charger?
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
Posted 25/08/2009 - 10:32 Link
Dear Mongoose

Yes - bought new charger as well. Maybe I'ss stick to the K10D!!!

gillyflower
TheVicar
Posted 25/08/2009 - 22:22 Link
gillyflower

I have a DL2 and a Samsung GX10 (K10D clone). The DL2 was unused for a while after I got the GX10. When I went back to it I had a problem that neither rechargeables, nor alkaline would work, got the empty battery flashing icon.

Following advice on this and other forums I tried Energizer Ultimate Lithium, and these have worked fine. However, after my earlier problems, I always remove them between use, and usually when I put them back, I get the empty flashing icon, I remove & re-insert then they show full power.

Recently they have been on offer at ASDA & Tesco for £3.99 a 4 pack, normally £6.99. It's worth a try at that price, I'm still on my first set, and they're still showing full power after quite a bit of use.

Watch out when buying to get the ones that say, " Up to 630 digital photos" on the pack. Because they do some energizer which are not lithium, but the packaging is almost identical.
ist*DL2, 18-55Mk1, DFA 100 f2.8 Macro, Samsung GX-10, 10-17,18-55,50-200, Sigma 10-20,100-300, 150-500 Tamron 18-200, Jessops 360AFDP
ME Super, MX, 2No. 50mm f1.7, MZ-10, 28-70 f4, 28mm f2.8, Samyang 500 & 800 f8 mirrors, Vivitar 2x TC, K-01, K-30
loweswood
Posted 31/08/2009 - 00:21 Link
I had this exact problem with my ist Ds, Cleaned the battery contacts, bingo, problem solved.
Posted 24/09/2013 - 14:14 Link
I'm still having this problem with my DL2. It doesn't matter what type of batteries I use, whether they be rechargable or Energizer Ultimate Lithium. I've even tried cleaning the contacts and using a graphite pencil on them, but I still get only 2 or 3 shots before the camera tells me that the battery is depleted.

I'm very close to just throwing it in the bin, I'm so frustrated, particularly on the day I'd travelled 60 miles to photograph a steam loco, and had taken 8 (yes, eight) fully-charged sets of batteries with me, and I wasn't able to take a single shot. When I got home, I checked the batteries and they were all fine.
Edited by womble_lancs: 24/09/2013 - 14:14
Gamka
Posted 24/09/2013 - 15:22 Link
On my old *istD there were occasionally problems with NEW batteries. I would switch ON/OFF several times before the camera would come to life and sometimes I would need to just short circuit the battery (through a low value resistor) to kick them into life. Then they would perform fine.

I also have a thought in my mind about a "battery type" setting - cannot remember if the *istDx series had this or not or it might have been with older film cameras.

Ultimately it is down to the battery chemistry and on-load voltage. Some will be as low as 1.2v and others as high as 1.5 which with 4 in series is a significant difference.
Father Ted
Posted 24/09/2013 - 20:41 Link
womble_lancs wrote:

I'm very close to just throwing it in the bin, I'm so frustrated,

Don't do that!
Try lightly sanding both the contacts on the battery door ( very lightly) and the ends of the batteries.
It did work for mine, got to be a shot.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
erikro
Posted 28/09/2013 - 18:42 Link
I use Eneloop 2000mA and I have no problems, but had a lot of trubles before using other brand of batteries.
K5IIs/K-1 II + film cameraes
I love my Pentax, all of them.
kudjusi
Posted 05/11/2016 - 00:21 Link
I had this issue with my 2006 *ist DL2 - brand new batteries simply resulted in the flashing empty battery symbol and the camera failing to switch on - tried alkaline, NIMH and Lithium. Strangely, replacing the previous (partially depleted set of batteries) and the camera would switch on fine.

Eventually I decided to leave a set of the brand new lithium batteries in the camera overnight (approx 12 hrs), with the camera switched on and empty battery symbol flashing. The next morning the empty battery symbol was still flashing, however when I switched the camera off and then back on again - HEY PRESTO! The camera switched on and the display showed a full battery symbol.

It appears that a new set of batteries has to be "initialised" in some way. At the moment I know that it appears to require a maximum of 12hrs to do this, so will experiment to determine the minimum amount of time required.

Really glad I got it working - I had also emailed pentax support, but got a response saying that the camera was too old and that parts were no longer available.
JAK
Posted 05/11/2016 - 21:32 Link
Have you tried the Eneloop suggestion in the previous post? Can confirm that works for early Pentax DSLRs that take AA batteries. Normally Lithium batteries are fine too.
There are Youtube videos about the issue which may help as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBmLxdUlkW8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLPKgoG76bw
(albeit those refer to a K-x but it is the same problem.)

Welcome to the forum!
John K
Edited by JAK: 05/11/2016 - 21:34

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.