Batch reduction in size
Posted 03/05/2011 - 14:57
Link
I have previously used shrinkpic (free download). While I haven't tried it with webmail a search with google suggests it works http://www.onthegosoft.com/shrink_pic.htm
Posted 03/05/2011 - 15:39
Link
Thanks Alan,
I've downloaded and sent a test message to my email address and it does appear to work. So next I'll attach photos to the web pages contact "email"
I'm in complaint mode -rattling the bars of the local footpaths zsar at .gov.uk to try and get some of the local footpaths into a usable state.
Some local farmers do their utmost to restrict access yet according to what I've discovered the humble footpath has the same public access rights as a main road - if only they would enforce them.
Best shut up before I turn purple.
Thanks again
Bernard
I've downloaded and sent a test message to my email address and it does appear to work. So next I'll attach photos to the web pages contact "email"
I'm in complaint mode -rattling the bars of the local footpaths zsar at .gov.uk to try and get some of the local footpaths into a usable state.
Some local farmers do their utmost to restrict access yet according to what I've discovered the humble footpath has the same public access rights as a main road - if only they would enforce them.
Best shut up before I turn purple.
Thanks again
Bernard
Posted 03/05/2011 - 15:53
Link
Frogherder wrote:
I don't want to do this one at time with Photoshop - any ideas
But Photoshop can do batch conversion, at least PSE can. Look under Process Multiple Files...
I don't want to do this one at time with Photoshop - any ideas
Best regards
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Posted 03/05/2011 - 15:55
Link
In full versions of Photoshop you can create an action - basically you save a series of steps and allocate them to an F key. So, for example, when I add a thin white line to my web images I just press F2 and it all happens automatically.
Best regards, John
Posted 03/05/2011 - 16:08
Link
If you've got access to a linux box or VM, bulk resizing of images is dead easy using ImageMagick.
Posted 03/05/2011 - 16:14
Link
Thanks Terry, John.
I only have Photoshop 7 and I'm not sure it does what yoou're suggesting (there's nothing obvious on the tool bars - that I can see).
For one offs I'm quite happy to load one at a time and "fiddle" but I wanted to send quite a few.
Anyway Bythman solved my problem for me and I've now sent a batch of "photographic evidence" regarding the blocked footpaths and will have to see what transpires.
regards
Bernard
I only have Photoshop 7 and I'm not sure it does what yoou're suggesting (there's nothing obvious on the tool bars - that I can see).
For one offs I'm quite happy to load one at a time and "fiddle" but I wanted to send quite a few.
Anyway Bythman solved my problem for me and I've now sent a batch of "photographic evidence" regarding the blocked footpaths and will have to see what transpires.
regards
Bernard
Posted 03/05/2011 - 16:17
Link
Photoshop 7 is fine - on the right hand side look for the "Actions" tab. It's next to the "History" tab. Click the icon next to the trash can "Create new Action".
Basically you open your image, press record, go through the actions needed and press stop recording. You can name the action and allocate a shortcut key or sequence of keys.
Basically you open your image, press record, go through the actions needed and press stop recording. You can name the action and allocate a shortcut key or sequence of keys.
Best regards, John
Posted 03/05/2011 - 16:19
Link
If it comes up again Bernard, try Faststone's Resizer. It's also freeware and easy to use. Can select what ever criteria is prefered - file size or pixels on an edge.
Steve
Steve
In the Pack - Gripped K5 (SE),K7 & K20, Gripped MZ-S(SE)& MZ-S,DA10-17, DA12-24, DA14, DA*16-50, 50-135, 60-250 & 300mm; FA31mm/43mm/77mm Ltds; Sigma 8-16, 135-400 & 150-500
Half Backs: K10+BG,DA16-45, DA50-200
Backs: LXs,Super As and lots of A, M & K lenses
Impact Subs: 28mm Shift, K 135-600 (the Banahan of Pentax zooms ), 400-600 Reflex
Half Backs: K10+BG,DA16-45, DA50-200
Backs: LXs,Super As and lots of A, M & K lenses
Impact Subs: 28mm Shift, K 135-600 (the Banahan of Pentax zooms ), 400-600 Reflex
Posted 03/05/2011 - 16:22
Link
Thanks Sorted78,
I'm running Windows XP and don't have access to a Linux OS (or a VM - whatever that is- I assume that as I don't know, I haven't got it).
I'll investigate ImageMagick, they may have a version for XP.
If not it might spur me on to downloading a Linux CD/DVD version as I'm also told that its useful to have if my PC ever goes down.
regards
Bernard
I'm running Windows XP and don't have access to a Linux OS (or a VM - whatever that is- I assume that as I don't know, I haven't got it).
I'll investigate ImageMagick, they may have a version for XP.
If not it might spur me on to downloading a Linux CD/DVD version as I'm also told that its useful to have if my PC ever goes down.
regards
Bernard
Posted 03/05/2011 - 16:35
Link
Thanks John, Steve,
I found the Actions tab under Windows so I'll have a play.
I'll look out for Fastone's Resizer and try hat out also.
I must admit that until recently the idea of "fiddling" with pictures was almost alien to me and I'm still on a learning curve (near the bottom though I fear) and I was thrown when the website wouldn't accept even one picture straight off my K10D. It's sorted now and I've sent them a dozen to be going on with.
regards
Bernard
I found the Actions tab under Windows so I'll have a play.
I'll look out for Fastone's Resizer and try hat out also.
I must admit that until recently the idea of "fiddling" with pictures was almost alien to me and I'm still on a learning curve (near the bottom though I fear) and I was thrown when the website wouldn't accept even one picture straight off my K10D. It's sorted now and I've sent them a dozen to be going on with.
regards
Bernard
Posted 03/05/2011 - 16:36
Link
sorted78 wrote:
If you've got access to a linux box or VM, bulk resizing of images is dead easy using ImageMagick.
Better still on Linux/Gnome install 'nautilus-image-converter' and you can reaize directly from Nautilus File Manager from the right click menu. It uses ImageMagick to do the conversion.
If you've got access to a linux box or VM, bulk resizing of images is dead easy using ImageMagick.
Posted 03/05/2011 - 16:44
Link
Sorry; I spend most of my day working with engineers, immersed in acronyms!
By VM, I meant Virtual Machine, which is effectively a way of running an entire 'virtual' PC in software, from within your native OS (e.g. in this case, you could use it to run a Linux virtual PC from within your normal Windows OS).
I'd recommend having a play with Linux (Ubuntu is a good place to start). It's not for everyone and has its limitations but it's quite interesting and can be useful for things like this, or, as you say, booting from a live CD/DVD and recovering your data after a hard disk crash.
By VM, I meant Virtual Machine, which is effectively a way of running an entire 'virtual' PC in software, from within your native OS (e.g. in this case, you could use it to run a Linux virtual PC from within your normal Windows OS).
I'd recommend having a play with Linux (Ubuntu is a good place to start). It's not for everyone and has its limitations but it's quite interesting and can be useful for things like this, or, as you say, booting from a live CD/DVD and recovering your data after a hard disk crash.
Posted 03/05/2011 - 19:25
Link
The export function in Adobe Lightroom is excellent for this purpose. You can specify max hoz and vert size, a file type and wehether or not to apply any sharpening.
There's even a plugin to send the exports to an FTP site if you want.
There's even a plugin to send the exports to an FTP site if you want.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1776 posts
17 years
Burton upon Trent
I want to send a batch of photographs by email and need to reduce their size accordingly.
As I use Outlook Express this is automatically done for me but in this instance I need to attach to a webpage email so need to externally reduce them.
I don't want to do this one at time with Photoshop - any ideas
regards
Bernard