Arts Documentary...about me.

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 29/06/2019 - 17:19
Sorry to make this long winded but heres as quickly as I can explain it

As some of you on here may know, I like to shoot street portraits of the people that I meet when I am out and about. It started about 7 years ago and back in the beginning it was with 35mm cameras and any film I could get my hands on. There there was bit of a lull and I started back again this time on digital with my then Pentax K-5 and primes. I flirted with film again two years ago and then the whole dried up again because of personal issues and lack of funds, In fact because I was so impoverished for a while I couldnt even afford to buy a roll of film and photography took a back seat.
Last year I came into some money and bought a 5D (I know but bare with me lol) and fell in love with the process of meeting people, hearing their story and capturing their portrait AGAIN.

Then last fortnight I was contacted by a PR company in England that wanted to shoot an arts type regional programme on people around the UK and yours trully was selected for Northern Ireland. The rationale - to walk around the streets of Belfast with my Pentax Me Super and films and let them document me surreptiously as I walked around talking to people and taking shots. A lot of time was taken up doing close ups for video i.e. loading the film and me pretending to be selecting an aperture but overall a very funny and humbing experience. I prefer being behind the camera so dont look forward to hearing me babbling on lol

I've just got some of the shots back from the day I was filmed for the documentary and I would love to share them.

* all photos with Pentax ME Super and K 50mm 1.7 with Fujuifilm C200

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

Anyone interestedin following my portrait journey please check out the following links

https://www.facebook.com/StreetStrangersOfNorthernIreland/ https://www.facebook.com/HumansofNI/

Cheers!

Alistair
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Last Edited by QuestionableCarrot on 29/06/2019 - 17:42

Algernon

Link Posted 29/06/2019 - 17:44
A lot of people detest Facebook and I'm certainly not giving them my details so they can spy on me..... just so I can look at photos. Also they have banned a lot of people off their platform for hardly any reason.

I'm very interested in your stuff though. Maybe the documentary will be posted later.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 29/06/2019 - 17:54
Huge congrats on the documentary Alistair... very well deserved... you have a unique take on this world, and the people in it... a very tasty set of street portraits as per... do tell where we can see the doc as and when itís broadcast...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 29/06/2019 - 18:26
This is great news Alistair and thank you for the insight into the making of the documentary.

I particularly enjoy your threads even if I don't always add to them. I find people's stories fascinating and it is great to see how your style has developed over the years along with you sharing some of their stories. This has helped me be more relaxed about talking to strangers (not yet asked to take their picture though!). Not thought of lying in the road to take a picture (staged shot or not)

Glad to hear too that things have improved for you.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

stub

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 09:28
Yes a very well done on your achievements Alistar. Very much deserved. Love no 8....
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

pschlute

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 16:21
Yes well done. Very interesting too for you to be the "subject" this time.

Some lovely shots too from the day
Peter

My Flickr page

Sry

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 22:25
Lovely portraits there, Alistair, you choose your subjects well.

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 01/07/2019 - 08:51
many thanks everyone
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

theonenadeem

Link Posted 01/07/2019 - 23:10
Congratulations

A nice set of photographs and I shall definitely watch the documentary.

Regards

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 02/07/2019 - 08:55
Very well deserved, I can't think of a photographer I'd be more interested in seeing in a documentary. Please post a link where we can see it when it's ready.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 02/07/2019 - 21:44
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Very well deserved, I can't think of a photographer I'd be more interested in seeing in a documentary. Please post a link where we can see it when it's ready.

cheers everyone

HAHAH

thanks J thats very kind- all being well the local channels over here in NI will be interested

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.