Flying Scotsman Fail 2019 At Speed With A Whistle - Who said Pentax FF couldn't do Action Photography.

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 20:45
Chooo Choo!
- So a couple of weeks back I had a go at photographing the Flying Scotsman on its way to Worcester, unfortunately it didn't quite work out how I had planned.
Thankfully I managed to get a second chance a little later, the following little 5 min video captures the moment. I hope you enjoy.
https://youtu.be/-jlMHcQH3zE

Regards
Geoff
YouTube: Photography Vlog
Facebook: Photography Page Weekly Updates and Musings
Twitter: Photography Mini Thoughts
Instagram: Yes, Here
Flickr: Yes Here

Algernon

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 21:18
Fantastic video The 2nd shots an absolute cracker. Well done!

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

JAK

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 21:30
If you could pan the loco at a slower shutter speed you'd give a better impression of movement.
Perhaps you were concentrating too much on the YT video rather than the shot of the loco which effectively you left to chance..
John K

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 22:14
Algernon wrote:
Fantastic video The 2nd shots an absolute cracker. Well done!--

Thank you, thats very kind of you to say. It did well for me, as it got picked up by the local press etc.

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 22:21
JAK wrote:
If you could pan the loco at a slower shutter speed you'd give a better impression of movement.
Perhaps you were concentrating too much on the YT video rather than the shot of the loco which effectively you left to chance..

Thanks for the tip JAK, as the first shot in the morning wasn't up to much, I didn't want to risk not getting an image on the 2nd chance. I do feel as though the trail of steam offers a sense of movement, perhaps a blurred background/wheels might have made the image better, I'm not so sure, I assure you I didn't leave anything to chance however as my settings were dialled in for the image I wanted to capture. As for concentrating on the YT video well I'm a one man band so I do my best!

droopsnoot

Link Posted 01/07/2019 - 19:25
I have similar issues when photographing steam-hauled trains - I'd love to get a sense of speed by slower shutter speed, but I don't want to risk not getting the shot. It's not like motorsport where they all come around again in a few minutes and I can try again.
Real name: Mike Edwards. My homage to seventies Vauxhalls: www.firenza.net

Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror

Helpful

MilesGreen

Link Posted 01/07/2019 - 21:49
Super!!!
It is stressful looking at the video, thinking you might lose the shot. I can certainly understand opting not to overdo the motion blur!
You could crop some of the grass in front. It would be even more striking in 16:9 format, i think.
And would it be cheating to clone out the post on the left?

Helpful

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 01/07/2019 - 22:59
droopsnoot wrote:
I have similar issues when photographing steam-hauled trains - I'd love to get a sense of speed by slower shutter speed, but I don't want to risk not getting the shot. It's not like motorsport where they all come around again in a few minutes and I can try again.

This was exactly my thought process, really is a single chance in fleeting moment of time. Next time, assuming it comes through the area again I might try a pan and blur 😁

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 01/07/2019 - 23:02
MilesGreen wrote:
Super!!!
It is stressful looking at the video, thinking you might lose the shot. I can certainly understand opting not to overdo the motion blur!
You could crop some of the grass in front. It would be even more striking in 16:9 format, i think.
And would it be cheating to clone out the post on the left?

Thanks Miles, I if'd and ah'd about the post, in the end I thought the train takes the focus, and it would be a keen and critical eye to linger on the post for more than a split of z second. I do like the idea of the 16:9 ratio. I didn't give that to much thought more of a passing consideration. I'll have to give it a go now you have mentioned it 😁
Last Edited by GeoffMoore on 01/07/2019 - 23:02

AlJones2402

Link Posted 02/07/2019 - 19:07
Algernon wrote:
Fantastic video The 2nd shots an absolute cracker. Well done!

--

Agree with above comments. 👌

Helpful

richandfleur

Link Posted 02/07/2019 - 23:12
Love it, great video and final images too. Good stuff.

I agree that the 16:9 aspect ratio is often pretty nice for stills too. Also allows your image to be a screensaver for example/display nice on a TV.

Did you prefocus manually ahead of the shot? I think I'd be leaning that way to avoid any risk of a nice background in focus and the train out of focus

Thanks for sharing.

Helpful

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 03/07/2019 - 16:29
richandfleur wrote:
Love it, great video and final images too. Good stuff.

I agree that the 16:9 aspect ratio is often pretty nice for stills too. Also allows your image to be a screensaver for example/display nice on a TV.

Did you prefocus manually ahead of the shot? I think I'd be leaning that way to avoid any risk of a nice background in focus and the train out of focus

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, there was a small signal/electrical box at the side of the tracks which I used to get the focus, edge camera over to the right a little, then case of just the timing the shutter button as the train reached that point.

@AlJones2402 - Thank you.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.