Portrait Lenses with extension tubes

LennyBloke

Link Posted 28/06/2019 - 16:53
Steve (LubbyMan) is currently experimenting with one of my favourite combinations, lenses designed for portraiture with an extension tube attached. As I said on Steves' post - the look produced can be different to a macro lens, with background OOF areas often much more pleasing to the eye.

This one is with the DA*55/1.4 (at f2.2) and a short extension tube:

This one (although not quite sharp) is also with the DA*55/1.4 at maximum aperture:

Give it a go yourself and see some subjects a little differently
LennyBloke

LennyBloke

Link Posted 28/06/2019 - 17:24
...and one more at f2.0...

LennyBloke

pschlute

Link Posted 28/06/2019 - 22:43
Oh come on. We all know that extension tubes + portrait lenses are for portraits of very small folk. Stop kidding us
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 28/06/2019 - 22:43

Lubbyman

Link Posted 29/06/2019 - 16:43
There's definitely a 'look' to the backgrounds that's soft and dreamy. Would be reasonable to say (although a big generalisation) use a macro lens to illustrate a textbook about flowers, use a portrait lens + tubes to illustrate a book of poetry?

pschlute wrote:
Oh come on. We all know that extension tubes + portrait lenses are for portraits of very small folk. Stop kidding us

The very small folk are very good at hiding behind foliage when they see a camera. Which is perhaps fortunate if they happen to be a Nac Mac Feegle. (Look it up...)

Steve

davidwozhere

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 01:07
Crivens!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

derek897

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 13:58
Cracking set, 2nd one is almost painterly with the way it transitions, well shot sir
I know what i like, If not always why.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 22:20
Thanks for the comments - they aren't great shots, they were intended to provoke others into having a go (there must be hundreds of us who have tubes but haven't used then with portrait lenses) - and you did
LennyBloke

Sry

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 22:46
LennyBloke wrote:
they were intended to provoke others into having a go (there must be hundreds of us who have tubes but haven't used then with portrait lenses)

I've been playing around with a tube on a 28mm, but now I will be trying it/them out on my 50 and 135! Thanks for the provocation!

LennyBloke

Link Posted 02/07/2019 - 09:57
Sry wrote:
LennyBloke wrote:
they were intended to provoke others into having a go (there must be hundreds of us who have tubes but haven't used then with portrait lenses)

I've been playing around with a tube on a 28mm, but now I will be trying it/them out on my 50 and 135! Thanks for the provocation!

I've never got anything out of a tube on a wide angle - not sure why Be interested to see your results
LennyBloke

Sry

LennyBloke

Link Posted 02/07/2019 - 12:32

Aah - Yes - I hadn't appreciated they were with a 28mm and extension tube

From the circular OOF background highlights I'm guessing some of these were taken at maximum aperture, giving incredibly shallow depth of field - your use of B&W suits these too, some nice shots Keep em coming
LennyBloke
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.