Architectural lens / Perspective control lens

SMarsden

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 15:28
Greetings Pentaxians,

Im in need of a Architectural lens / Perspective control lens for my trusty K5... Does any one have any ideas..?
My website

Flickr

Pentax Photo Gallery

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong" Carl Sagan

johnriley

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 16:16
To reproduce straight lines as straight lines I'd suggest the SMC Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4 lens. Excellent drawing.

For correcting verticals then Photoshop's Transform tool does the job very nicely. For this reason there are not many PC lenses about these days.

You might find the SMC Pentax 28mm PC lens second hand, but the price would be high.
Best regards, John

japers45

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 16:35
well this is available but I think it's expensive

link

over £2000 I think

jane7l

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 17:08
never tried it, but a while ago i found this:
http://araxfoto.com/specials/tilt-shift-35/
know nothing about, seems reasonable priced.
good luck, janko
pentax k7 + grip, mz-5n, da 15/4 ltd, revuenon 55/1.2, falcon 8/3.5 fisheye, leica m7, 50/2, 90/2.8, voigtlander 15/4.5, 35/2.5

gartmore

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 17:15
That lens is designed for 35mm film and not really much use on an APS-C sensor. Even the 28mm Pentax Shift isn't much use on one.

Until Pentax or someone else manufactures a 18mm shift then John's suggestion is really the only option.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

womble

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 17:29
Ahhhh, now there is a question!

Pentax only ever made one shift lens for 35mm: the SMC Pentax 28mm shift. Excellent lens but on a cropped digital, not very wide. I found it worked wonderfully in very large buildings like a cathedral, but less useful in more confined spaces. Second hand these usually go for between £300 and £400 on ebay but buy-it-now prices are often much higher (as with most BIN prices!).

There are a small number of 3rd party options, but none of those are very wide either.

Sadly, there is nothing available like the Canon 17mm TS E lens which retail at more than $2000. If I could afford one of those I'd get a body to put on it.

Alternatives are:

a) as John says, use the 12-24mm lens, which has minimal distortions, and optionally crop the excess stuff off the bottom.

b) use the perspective control/correction stuff in photoshop. I, personally, have found it very difficult to do that convincingly.

c) The route I chose: use a large format view camera. It is actually cheaper to buy second hand LF stuff than it would be to buy the Canon lens + body. You have the additional fun of learning how to use it, and everyone looking at you as if you have just landed from Mars. Without boring everyone with details, personal circumstances make it hard for me to get the film developed and so the camera doesn't get as much use as I would like. Once I have cracked that stage of the game, I'm planning a project photographing the churches of Hertfordshire.

Personally, I don't give two hoots about Pentax making a full frame camera but I'd give my right arm for an equivalent of the Canon 17mm TS.

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

johnha

Link Posted 17/02/2012 - 20:17
I can't help with shift lenses, although some of the 35mm ones have (had?) very limited ranges of shift movement anyway (especially across the long side of the frame).

As I understand it, the reason why you get conveging verticals is because the focal plane is not parallel to the wall of the building (i.e. usually tilted up). If you keep it parallel, the verticals should be straight, but this means using a wider lens than you otherwise would and leaves a lof of foreground at the bottom of the frame.

As an aside, 6*6 medium format cameras are useful for this as you can then crop the bottom off the frame and still print to the 6*4.5 format.
PPG Flickr

amilner

Link Posted 19/02/2012 - 08:25
Paintshop Pro has a very easy to use perspective correction tool - you just find something in the frame that is meant to be rectangular, mark the four corners and double click and presto - done! Of course if the original was taken from (e.g.) a very low angle the result may look unnatural - but in fact it would have looked exactly the same if you had used a shift lens from the same viewpoint.

I did have the 28 shift for a while, but got rid of it when I went digital because (a) the optics are not so great - or at least they were not in my copy! (b) it messes up metering (c) digital sensors don't like light coming at them from odd angles (d) 42mm shift (the effective equivalent fov) is not so useful (e) it is big and heavy and (f) it is easier to either use an ultrawide and crop or use software to correct.

Many of these have been corrected in some way (sorry some - taken with a non Pentax camera...)
Tony Milner
Super A, ME Super, MZ6, K5II, Ricoh GR & lenses from 8-500mm
www.amilner.org www.flickr.com/photos/tonymilner

smudge

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 22:14
On their facebook page the man from Samyang is saying they are bringing out a 24mm tilt/shift later this year. He does not go into detail but they usually do their lenses in Pentax fit.

I've never tried to link to a facebook page before, so here's hoping this works...
https://www.facebook.com/#!/fotogears
Regards, Philip

smudge

Link Posted 22/03/2012 - 22:19
Mmm, link did not work as I hoped...just scroll down the 'all posts' section until you reach the 'Bigelow Photo' post of the 3rd March. The Samyang 24mm tilt/shift lens reference is in one of the replies to that post.
Regards, Philip
Last Edited by smudge on 22/03/2012 - 22:21

rparmar

Link Posted 23/03/2012 - 03:22
womble wrote:
Personally, I don't give two hoots about Pentax making a full frame camera but I'd give my right arm for an equivalent of the Canon 17mm TS.

You've got to stop thinking like a photographer. It'll on1y drive you crazy!

Why would anyone want a tilt-shift lens in this digital age?
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

K10D

Link Posted 23/03/2012 - 04:28
rparmar wrote:
Why would anyone want a tilt-shift lens in this digital age?

What would one do if they did not have the skills needed in Photoshop or other software?

It's an option other marques offer their users that we Pentax users don't have with the current Pentax system.

I have the 28mm shift Pentax. It just sits on the shelf unless I use it with a film body.

Best regards

johnriley

Link Posted 23/03/2012 - 08:26
Quote:
What would one do if they did not have the skills needed in Photoshop or other software?

The skills needed to correct converging verticals in Photoshop are extremely simple and would not take much learning. Given that we probably already have Photoshop then learning to use it for this purpose would be far, far less expensive an option than buying a tilt-shift lens that would be there at a very high price.

The digital age just has different techniques to tackle various photographic needs.
Best regards, John

JohnX

Link Posted 23/03/2012 - 08:30
I'm sure LensBaby http://www.lensbaby.com/#1 do something that offers some if not all of the tilt lens functionality.

But, to paraphrase a question raised earlier in this thread - why use hardware if software will do the job - I suppose it's for people like me who would rather get it right in-camera than spend time later on a computer. (Plus it's another lens )

Dave_Evanson

Link Posted 28/03/2012 - 14:38
I have never tried it but… could you use the sensor shift feature of the K5 (or K7) to achieve the same effect as a tilt &shift lens? (well the shift part anyway).
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.