Not many people know this...

gartmore

Link Posted 29/03/2012 - 12:34
From 'The Pentax Complete System of Photography' c.1977

"With the advent of the space age, researchers started to work on ways to cut relections on instrument cover glasses for high performance aircraft and for viewing windows in Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and LEM spacecraft.

This research was the basis of the multi-coating system used exclusively on Takumar lenses that cuts surface reflection to a phenomenal low of 0.2%
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

George Lazarette

Link Posted 29/03/2012 - 12:38
Surely Zeiss and Pentax collaborated on this, and the T* coating is pretty much the same as SMC. But I may be misinformed.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

gartmore

Link Posted 29/03/2012 - 13:13
I dont know, the preceding paragraph:

"Over the years, leading manufacturers (and Ashai was amongst the first) developed methods of depositing a thin film of magnesium flouride on lens surfaces. This now conventional 1, 2, or 3-layer coating cut reflection by about 75%"
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

gartmore

Link Posted 29/03/2012 - 13:22
This too, is a valuable quote, nothing changes:

"Takumar lenses are not 'cheap'. But in no other industry is it truer that 'you get what you pay for'. There are many so-called bargain lenses that will fit your Pentax camera. If you use them infrequently, if you expect only limited use or if reliabilty isn't important to you you may find an inexpensive lens to satisfy your needs."
Ken

davidstorm

Link Posted 29/03/2012 - 21:12
I think your last quote says it all Ken. The SMC Taks are absolute proof of this and the fact that there are still so many being used so often makes the effectiveness and durability of the coatings indisputable.

My humble SMC Takumar 135mm F3.5 is one of my favourite lenses despite its 'slowness'. It takes stunning quality pictures that suit my style very well.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

johnha

Link Posted 29/03/2012 - 22:20
One of my MX brochures has:

"By reducing light loss due to reflection to an absolute minimum, a Super-Multi-Coated standard lens actually transmits almost 20% more light than a conventionally coated model. Moreover, in lenses composed of more elements, the gain in effective lens speed increases. For example, increase of transmission through a lens of 12 elements may soar to 50% over that of a similar lens which has conventional coating."

For those looking for a long zoom, how about the M 135-600 f/6.7?
PPG Flickr
Last Edited by johnha on 29/03/2012 - 22:21
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.