Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Aqua

robbiec
Posted 02/06/2020 - 20:32 Link
K-1 & Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/25

Comment Image
Aqua by Robbie Corrigan, on Flickr

Little back story to this. I am attempting a challenge to use a single lens for a month, while posting an image a day. I had had a long day and was settled into a bath when I heard an almighty racket being generated by a couple of cats out the back. Fearing for my own cat, I had hopped out but noticed the droplets on the tap and ran downstairs to the back garden. Max, my cat was OK and I grabbed the camera, took a couple of images and settled back in with the 2nd days image completed.
My Gallery
[url=http://pentaxphotogallery.com/Robbie Corrigan]ppg[/url]
Benz3ne
Posted 02/06/2020 - 20:55 Link
robbiec wrote:
K-1 & Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/25

Comment Image
Aqua by Robbie Corrigan, on Flickr

Little back story to this. I am attempting a challenge to use a single lens for a month, while posting an image a day. I had had a long day and was settled into a bath when I heard an almighty racket being generated by a couple of cats out the back. Fearing for my own cat, I had hopped out but noticed the droplets on the tap and ran downstairs to the back garden. Max, my cat was OK and I grabbed the camera, took a couple of images and settled back in with the 2nd days image completed.

Ah on the other forum? I’ve seen some stellar work lately with the Distagon 25/2.8’s kicking around there. Very jealous of them.
Followed on Flickr, by the way.
Edited by Benz3ne: 02/06/2020 - 20:56
robbiec
Posted 02/06/2020 - 21:04 Link
That'd be Pepperberryfarm on the other forum. He took his 25 for a run out last month I've had this a good few years now, searched high and low, and chanced on it on the other forum and it came all the way from Australia. Prices nowadays are eyebrow raising to say the least.

Thanks for the follow.
S!
My Gallery
HarisF1
Posted 02/06/2020 - 21:10 - Helpful Comment Link
I managed to pick one up recently too - it looked like it had been a real workhorse for someone but the quality and craftsmanship shines through.

Cool story to the image. I'm glad you didn't do what some eBayers do and show us the goods in the reflections!
All the gear with no idea
Benz3ne
Posted 02/06/2020 - 21:11 Link
robbiec wrote:
That'd be Pepperberryfarm on the other forum. He took his 25 for a run out last month I've had this a good few years now, searched high and low, and chanced on it on the other forum and it came all the way from Australia. Prices nowadays are eyebrow raising to say the least.

Thanks for the follow.
S!

That’s the one! He’s a good guy and takes some lovely photos!
Did you know he only shoots JPEGs?
robbiec
Posted 02/06/2020 - 21:39 Link
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. He takes so many pictures with so many lenses that I doubt he has much time for processing
My Gallery
robbiec
Posted 02/06/2020 - 21:44 Link
HarisF1 wrote:
I managed to pick one up recently too - it looked like it had been a real workhorse for someone but the quality and craftsmanship shines through.

Cool story to the image. I'm glad you didn't do what some eBayers do and show us the goods in the reflections!

Heaven forbid
I had a 31 like that, worn everywhere and decidedly used looking but the glass was perfect, better even. Well wear on your new lens
I'll send you a little something via PM as a welcome
My Gallery
Edited by robbiec: 02/06/2020 - 21:53
pschlute
Posted 02/06/2020 - 22:35 - Helpful Comment Link
Great use of DOF
robbiec
Posted 03/06/2020 - 11:37 Link
Thanks all for popping by and having a look. Feel free to give me pointers
My Gallery
LongTimeLurker
Posted 11/06/2020 - 23:10 - Helpful Comment Link
I like it and the tones are perfect.

As much as I love it I'm not sure I would take my T* 2.5/28 into the bath though!
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
LennyBloke
Posted 12/06/2020 - 08:44 - Helpful Comment Link
This has a great look to it Robbie - as Nigel says the tones are perfect

I think you've really tapped into something special with that lens
LennyBloke
LongTimeLurker
Posted 12/06/2020 - 13:26 Link
LongTimeLurker wrote:

As much as I love it I'm not sure I would take my T* 2.5/28 into the bath though!

I never learn and I should have a Post-It note next to my monitor: 'I must not post to threads after my normal bedtime, to avoid typo-clangers'.

I have, of course, a T* 2.8/25 and not the fabled T* 2.5/28. Sigh.

Ah well, another miscrafted post down the plughole.
Nigel.

A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
robbiec
Posted 12/06/2020 - 15:12 Link
LongTimeLurker wrote:
LongTimeLurker wrote:

I never learn and I should have a Post-It note next to my monitor: 'I must not post to threads after my normal bedtime, to avoid typo-clangers'.

I have, of course, a T* 2.8/25 and not the fabled T* 2.5/28. Sigh.

Ah well, another miscrafted post down the plughole.

You had me looking for a 2.5/28 - nearest I came to was the C/Y 2.8/28
Anyways I am using this as my primary lens for the month, barring exceptions where @LennyBloke has tempted me with a new arrival. I've long understood its capability to close focus but as the month goes on I will be looking for what it does at Infinity and stopped down to f/8-f/11 range where it assumes a completely different personality.

12 Days in and close focus will render something a bit old school (sharp in the centre but really nice OOF transitions, resolving power does drop off at the edges). It can also misbehave quite willfully wide open too.

1: Misbehaviour - Focus distance, 10" - 12", f/2.8 - Centre 2/3rds of frame, strong resolution but the edges fall down, lots of LoCA in high contrast transitions
Comment Image
Switches by Robbie Corrigan, on Flickr

2: Micro Resolution - Focus distance, 7" - 9", f/2.8 - Great detail in the DFA* sign
Comment Image
Lens by Robbie Corrigan, on Flickr

3: Lets go to Infinity & f/10 - Click through on the Title at the bottom and open up full size, i'm loving the wall detail. Bit of green fringing visible on top wall left side.
Comment Image
Dormant by Robbie Corrigan, on Flickr

Link to an album showing how I get on during the month. Other examples in there too. https://www.flickr.com/photos/theconniseur/albums/72157714501104356
My Gallery
Edited by robbiec: 12/06/2020 - 15:36
robbiec
Posted 12/06/2020 - 15:16 Link
LennyBloke wrote:
This has a great look to it Robbie - as Nigel says the tones are perfect

I think you've really tapped into something special with that lens

Thanks John. Its kept a firm hold on its place in my bag
My Gallery
LongTimeLurker
Posted 12/06/2020 - 16:59 - Helpful Comment Link
The month is progressing well Robbie. I'll watch the Fickr album as the month progresses.

To be honest, 'Switches' is a real torture test. I'm not sure I would have been able to focus in that light let alone had the lens performing well as you have done.

Both 'Switches' and 'Dormant' illustrate the flexibility and character of the lens. I often use it as a walkabout lens and it excels in most lighting conditions. I blame Peng for introducing me to Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses

I'll avoid adding to the puns in this thread in case they become a flood.

I'll get my coat.
Nigel.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.