Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Aperture 2.1 problems.

hotshots4u2c
Posted 12/03/2008 - 00:03 Link
Help please.

I have an Apple iMac G5 with 2.5 gb memory. Run Leopard.

Last Saturday I received a brand new sealed version of Aperture 2 as a gift. Installed it and did the upgrade to 2.1.

My problem as follows.

Tried to adjust approx 100 RAW images, things went ok at first, however very slow, after 10 images I clicked on the next image in the browser. In the process of adjusting, it suddenly went black in the main screen. This happened intermittently to the rest of the images along with some images looking like a dark black negative. Subsequently just clicking on some browser images they would immediately bring it up black or with negative look in main screen.

The only way I can get the image to come up correctly is to get out of Aperture and back in again. Then the same events happen all over again.

I put some jpegs on and got through adjusting 60 and then the same events happened.

I removed Aperture and downloaded the trial, entered my s/n and tried again. Same situation.

Contacted Apple, tech rep stated never heard about this problem before, must be a computer problem. Maybe, however Aperture 1.5 worked fine. iPhoto 8 works fine. Photoshop CS2 works fine, as does everything else on this iMac. All worked great with Tiger and now with Leopard.

Does anyone have any idea what maybe causing the problem ? I am at my wit's end !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help,

RAG.
Don
Posted 12/03/2008 - 00:51 Link
is it trying to generate new previews for your entire library?
if so you might let it run overnight to finish up and try it in the morning.
here's a good resource with archives you can search:

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/aperture/
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
hotshots4u2c
Posted 12/03/2008 - 02:19 Link
Don,

I took almost every thing out of my library, only have 200 images in it.

I did forget to mention if I try to adjust the Canon and Nikon images that are included with Aperture 2, I don't have the problems ?????????

Thanks,

RAG.
Don
Posted 12/03/2008 - 10:37 Link
I have aperture 2.0 in the box at home (been staying in the city alot this month marketing my business) will try to install on one of my machines, later this week.
but I think it's an issue of migrating images from one version of aperture to the new version.
my guess is your images settings is applying some sort of adjustment to the files. (shadow highlights, or color or something). Are you bringing the library form an older version or straight from the camera? what adjustments are being applied at the import?
hotshots4u2c
Posted 12/03/2008 - 15:58 Link
Don.

I removed all my image files from Aperture 2 that were originally on Aperture 1.5. The only ones on there now are new ones straight from a card,

Shot RAW and was making a few adjustments. Like I stated on some images it happens in the process of the files loading to the window.
Get same problems with RAW and Jpegs. Last night I shot a few RAW images inside the house, loaded them on the computer from the card, second image I clicked on started loading and went black.

In about 30 minutes I am taking computer to a Mac Store to see if they can resolve the problem. I have tried everything I can think of, including turning of my Time Machine back up drive.

Thanks for suggestions,

RAG.
Don
Posted 12/03/2008 - 18:23 Link
keep me posted.....I'm upgrading at least one of my machines....r u using the k10?
hotshots4u2c
Posted 13/03/2008 - 00:33 Link
Don.

Yes, K10D.

Computer itself checked out fine at Mac Store.

The following is a copy of Aperture errors on my computer when trying to adjust images. Provided by Mac Store.

Mar 12 10:49:37 -imac-g5 [0x0-0xc00c].com.google.Desktop.Agent[104]: 2008-03-12 10:49:37 GoogleDesktopAge[115] we've retried toplinks too many times, stop
Mar 12 10:50:19 r-imac-g5 World Book Dictionary[3386]: LCC Scroll Enhancer loaded
Mar 12 10:51:27 -imac-g5 [0x0-0x2b02b].com.apple.Aperture[244]: CoreImage: shadowHighlight3: fragment program exceeds native limits:
Mar 12 10:51:27 -imac-g5 [0x0-0x2b02b].com.apple.Aperture[244]: 2/10 attrs, 11/32 temps, 9/32 params 78/96 insns
Mar 12 10:51:27 -imac-g5 [0x0-0x2b02b].com.apple.Aperture[244]: 76/64 alu insns, 2/32 tex insns, 2/4 tex indirections
Mar 12 10:51:27 -imac-g5 [0x0-0x2b02b].com.apple.Aperture[244]: CoreImage: shadowHighlight3: falling back to software
Mar 12 10:53:32 -imac-g5 [0x0-0x2b02b].com.apple.Aperture[244]: CoreImage: shadowHighlight3: fragment program exceeds native limits:
Mar 12 10:53:32 imac-g5 [0x0-0x2b02b].com.apple.Aperture[244]: 2/10 attrs, 11/32 temps, 9/32 params 78/96 insns
Mar 12 10:53:32 -imac-g5 [0x0-0x2b02b].com.apple.Aperture[244]: 76/64 alu insns, 2/32 tex insns, 2/4 tex indirections
Mar 12 10:53:32 -imac-g5 [0x0-0x2b02b].com.apple.Aperture[244]: CoreImage: shadowHighlight3: falling back to software
Mar 12 10:54:11 -imac-g5 [0x0-0x2b02b].com.apple.Aperture[244]: CoreImage: shadowHighlight3: fragment program exceeds native limits:
Mar 12 10:54:11 imac-g5 [0x0-0x2b02b].com.apple.Aperture[244]: 2/10 attrs, 11/32 temps, 9/32 params 78/96 insns
Mar 12 10:54:11 -imac-g5 [0x0-0x2b02b].com.apple.Aperture[244]: 76/64 alu insns, 2/32 tex insns, 2/4 tex indirections
Mar 12 10:54:11 -imac-g5 [0x0-0x2b02b].com.apple.Aperture[244]: CoreImage: shadowHighlight3: falling back to software
Mar 12 10:55:19 -imac-g5 Console[3393]: LCC Scroll Enhancer loaded

CoreImage is evidently a major software problem.

The Mac Store tech went on the Apple Website and into their discussions site. He typed in 'Black" in the find window, up came a list of other users with the same problem (plus a white screen which I also got today)
He didn't know what the problem is but suspected some other program is screwing up Aperture.

When I got home I contacted Apple and discussed situation with yet another tech rep. To cut a long story short (one and half hours on phone and various tests and emailing him my computer info) the tech told me I think I know what the problem is Adobe CS2 !!!!!!! (which I have). I guess CS2 does not work correctly with the Leopard System, which in turn affects Aperture 2, as CS2 even though not in use, still is somewhat running in the background. One of the reasons, some of the Aperture 2 adjustments are very similar to CS2, so CS2 interferes with the Aperture 2 adjustments. The Tech stated it is a major problem and Apple put out a statement prior to the release of Leopard with regard to this issue with CS2.
I was told I will have to do a complete re-install of my system using my Leopard Disc, because even if I take CS2 off, I will not get rid of all the program !!!!!!!

Really didn't understand most of the technical gobbly goop he was trying to explain, hope the above makes sense to you.

Would prefer not to go through all involved to do a complete re-install. What are your thoughts ?????

RAG.
Don
Posted 13/03/2008 - 01:08 Link
I'm still running tiger.
try this:
open your aperture presets and uncheck the shadow/highlights tool
save a new preset with that unchecked.
re-launch aperture, and don't use that tool.

see if that has any effect, then try this:

try this: open system prefs.
set displays color to adobe 1998.
then open aperture.
then set color back to your norma profile.
I had some issues with my monitor profile that caused wierd aperture behaviour.

let me know if that helps.

if not, here's something that may make you feel better....
Apple will get it sorted. they have too many pros using cs2 with aperture, and no one else to blame.

that's why I held off before installing.. you never want to be first to buy, first to install, and first to find he glitches!

I still got leopard in the box and haven't installed on any of my macs yet.
will do it when I can afford down time.
hotshots4u2c
Posted 13/03/2008 - 01:43 Link
Don.

Thanks, will try that.

The Apple Tech Rep informed me Apple will do nothing about it, not their problem, stated it is Adobe problem. Adobe supposed to be coming up with a fix for CS2. CS3 is compatible with Aperture 2, I would assume most pro's have already, or will upgrade to CS3, so why would Adobe bother with CS2 ?

He also stated any photo program running on Leopard which is not fully compatible with Leopard can cause some major issues with Aperture 2.

Thanks, RAG.
hotshots4u2c
Posted 14/03/2008 - 00:14 Link
Don.

Tried your suggestions to no avail.

It is mostly the Shadow tool that screws it up, however some other tools create the same problems, or it just goes black or white just by clicking on the browser image, starts to load and then turns black or white.

I tried a Shadows preset, clicked on it and every image I clicked on went black on the window. The browser file images stay normal.

Don't understand why Apple are blaming Photoshop CS2 for the problem, when it is very obvious many other users are having the same issues. I don't believe for one minute they all have CS2 on their systems. Plus some are stating it was a problem with Aperture 1.5 as well until Apple corrected it. (I didn't have any problems with 1.5.) It appears to be happening on a range of Mac Models.

It has to be some other common cause giving some of us these issues. Guess I will have to do a full restore of my system and see if it cures the problem. If not, I guess $199.00 goes down the drain.

RAG.
Mannesty
Posted 14/03/2008 - 01:37 Link
As it was a gift, you haven't lost much except time. If however the software was purchased as a gift for you, and it is not 'fit for purpose' the purchaser ought to be able to get their money back.

If everybody who was having these problems sent the software back, Apple would soon be more inclined to fix it.

I'm glad I use Windows, it never . . . ever . . ., no, that'd be tempting providence a little too far.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Don
Posted 14/03/2008 - 14:23 Link
ok.
I got it running on tiger, on a g5 and an intel macbook.
no problems here. I also have cs2.
It's gotta be an adobe issue with leopard. drop them an email.
maybe they'll get a patch done soon.
photo*ist
Posted 14/03/2008 - 15:36 Link
Mannesty wrote:

I'm glad I use Windows, it never . . . ever . . ., no, that'd be tempting providence a little too far.

hahaha Very funny Mannesty. If it had been Lightroom and Windows I know we would have heard from Don long before this.
hotshots4u2c
Posted 16/03/2008 - 20:51 Link
Don,

Did a complete re-install yesterday, now the problem is even worse.
I even shot some new RAW & jpegs to try, no difference. Out of 24 images, 13 in a row went black or white as they were loading, this was right after I had turned of computer and re-started. The new adventure as I was trying to adjust an image was the program shutting down !!! happened just the one time.

According to the Apple Aperture Tech experts I am supposed to have a clean system now. The last Tech I spoke with on Saturday told me to do the re-install and play around with the system over the weekend, then a super tech will call me on Monday to see if I still have the problem, if so he/she will try some other tweaks. I guess the tweaking will begin !!!!!

It's important to note that when it came to the instructions on how to re-install, the information given out by the Tech's was different depending on who one talked with. One guy told me to re-install from my original discs, then re-install Leopard. Another was not sure about the way to go. Two others told me, do not whatever you do re-install from original discs as that will really screw up the system, delete and install using only the Leopard disc, which is what I did.

I now have nothing on this computer that is not Apple related, the only software I re-installed for now is Aperture 2.1 Basically I have a bare bones unit.

Everything apart from Aperture works well and fast, better than before.

Talk about a pain in the ass,

Rg
Don
Posted 16/03/2008 - 20:58 Link
I wish I could give you a fix.
but i'm stumped.
it's running real well on my systems.

maybe it's bad ram and a highly improbable coincidence, (that it showed up at the same time you upgraded.....)?

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.