Any new FF gossip

mattox

Link Posted 07/09/2015 - 20:11
Been reading the latest gossip on Pentax forums that especially has been quoted by asahiman, the release of the FF On the 6th October. Anyone heard any other rumors or updates?
Last Edited by mattox on 07/09/2015 - 20:12

stu62

Link Posted 07/09/2015 - 20:36
according to 50mpCMOS
it is not being releasted now till feb next year with the 70/200 (not holding my breath for it)

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 07/09/2015 - 20:38
F A B more time to enjoy my K-3
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

stu62

Link Posted 07/09/2015 - 20:46
ilovesaabs wrote:
F A B more time to enjoy my K-3

yeah but a 70/200 f2.8 would be nice now though

SteveLedger

Link Posted 07/09/2015 - 20:56
stu62 wrote:
according to 50mpCMOS
it is not being releasted now till feb next year

What are his credentials?

stu62

Link Posted 07/09/2015 - 21:19
havent a clue but it all relates about the lens and the delay again

SteveLedger

Link Posted 07/09/2015 - 21:35
iow, unsubstantiated rumor from someone without any ties to Ricoh?

50mpCMOS

Link Posted 08/09/2015 - 23:02
No ties to Ricoh here, which is almost a blessing. But significant ties to companies such as: Nikon, Canon, (even) Hasselblad. Some thingS that are never heard about at Pentax are: Customer service, and actually answering to professionals. If I were to drop Canon an email (or even pick up the phone) I can literally expect an answer, unless it's a company trade secret.

Ask Canon if and when there will be any new camera bodies at or above the level of the Canon 5ds R (at 50mp), and one will get a far better answer from Canon than one has ever received from Pentax.

Onto the next topic; when will the Pentax Full-frame come out?

Let's ask the retailers first. Not one single one of the ten largest camera retailers in the world has heard one single item of a Pentax full-frame body. Perhaps we should focus on number one; B&H out of NYC.

After all B&H posted that the release date for the yet unreleased Pentax full-frame ("glass") 80-200aw was being pushed back until February 2016. This was announced by B&H last month.

B&H tends to publish there release dates for most lenses and most camera bodies (such as Canon, Nikon, and darn even Pentax) typically at least one month in advance. Given the proven track record and history of B&H, its usually several months of advance notice of when any Pentax item is to be released; it's been this way for at least five years.

Again, it's not just B&H, but also all of the other top ten camera retailers in the world. Not one has heard one single item about any Pentax full-frame camera body coming out this year. Based in current release dates for Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc... and their time frame for releases... Also Pentax's pushing back the release of the 80-200aw, that I'd be willing to take any bet that states the Pentax full-frame camera body will not be released until at least end of February 2016.

Also feel welcome to take a further glance into some other items... No price yet published by Pentax, and strangely enough they have not released word one about the delay of the 80-200aw on their site?? Not one word anywhere that any plant might be getting ready to ramp up production of it, unless they are going to make it at Area 51.

Anyone with an education want to "talk credentials"?

SteveLedger

Link Posted 08/09/2015 - 23:35
50mpCMOS wrote:
No ties to Ricoh here, which is almost a blessing. But significant ties to companies such as: Nikon, Canon, (even) Hasselblad. Some thingS that are never heard about at Pentax are: Customer service, and actually answering to professionals. If I were to drop Canon an email (or even pick up the phone) I can literally expect an answer, unless it's a company trade secret.

Ask Canon if and when there will be any new camera bodies at or above the level of the Canon 5ds R (at 50mp), and one will get a far better answer from Canon than one has ever received from Pentax.

Onto the next topic; when will the Pentax Full-frame come out?

Let's ask the retailers first. Not one single one of the ten largest camera retailers in the world has heard one single item of a Pentax full-frame body. Perhaps we should focus on number one; B&H out of NYC.

After all B&H posted that the release date for the yet unreleased Pentax full-frame ("glass") 80-200aw was being pushed back until February 2016. This was announced by B&H last month.

B&H tends to publish there release dates for most lenses and most camera bodies (such as Canon, Nikon, and darn even Pentax) typically at least one month in advance. Given the proven track record and history of B&H, its usually several months of advance notice of when any Pentax item is to be released; it's been this way for at least five years.

Again, it's not just B&H, but also all of the other top ten camera retailers in the world. Not one has heard one single item about any Pentax full-frame camera body coming out this year. Based in current release dates for Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc... and their time frame for releases... Also Pentax's pushing back the release of the 80-200aw, that I'd be willing to take any bet that states the Pentax full-frame camera body will not be released until at least end of February 2016.

Also feel welcome to take a further glance into some other items... No price yet published by Pentax, and strangely enough they have not released word one about the delay of the 80-200aw on their site?? Not one word anywhere that any plant might be getting ready to ramp up production of it, unless they are going to make it at Area 51.

Ease up on the defensive sarcasm.
I'd never question "Rumour has it that it won't be released until Feb 2016".. But when someone says' "According to so'n'so.." then I want to ask how they come by this information and is it credible.

richandfleur

Link Posted 08/09/2015 - 23:59
Ricoh displayed a 3D model mock up at a show - a lump of non functioning black plastic. They acknowledged that they were indeed working on a FF camera. That's about it.

Rumours have included a bunch of specs, and what sensor is going to be used. I'm not sure if any of that was formally announced by Ricoh.

richandfleur

Link Posted 09/09/2015 - 00:00
SteveLedger wrote:
50mpCMOS wrote:

Ease up on the defensive sarcasm.
I'd never question "Rumour has it that it won't be released until Feb 2016".. But when someone says' "According to so'n'so.." then I want to ask how they come by this information and is it credible.

Nothing wrong with asking that question mate.

50mpCMOS

Link Posted 09/09/2015 - 04:30
Quote:
Ricoh displayed a 3D model mock up at a show - a lump of non functioning black plastic. They acknowledged that they were indeed working on a FF camera. That's about it.

Rumours have included a bunch of specs, and what sensor is going to be used. I'm not sure if any of that was formally announced by Ricoh

I got to witness (under glass) that exact model quite close up, and even photograph it. Btw it was more than a model, as someone (at a distance later) did change over the lens from the camera body. As for if it had a sensor and/or working electronics - nobody will ever know. Based on measurements alone; it was a prototype full-frame camera body.

When the Pentax full-frame camera was on display; quite a number of Ricoh/Pentax people (with credentials) also clearly stated exactly what was being worked on, and even what time frames were - although the "time frames were not for publication". They also clearly stated two other items: At that time they were unsure what full-frame sensor would be used, and also what might be available in the near future. Also that two of them clearly stated, they would bet their careers (even retirement) that Pentax full-frame digital would happen in a short order of time.

As for most of the other specs... Quite a bit of what I've read so far is accurate about the so far non production model; although, over time also imagine how much could change from now until at least the end of February.

Besides the epic eventuality of Pentax full-frame... Here are the facts as they stand today... No color correcting flash unit on the pentaprism, the best weather resistance on the market (still placing even Nikon to shame (minus the weatherproof and underwater Nikon AW)), switchable mp sensor based on use of SOME full-frame lenses versus everything else. Outside of that, not much else...

I've heard and read the rumors of the Sony sensor, and this might be one of the major items that is setting back the release date. Consider the mp ratings of that Sony sensor. But also compare it to the much newer generation sensors that are presently out for Canon. There are going to be numerous (at least SIX) new full-frame cameras hitting the market between now and end of February. It will be interesting to see IF Pentax elects to keep the existing Sony sensor.

Which leaves price. Pentax will be very hard pressed to match the entry level Nikon full-frame, but will definitely have to bear Canon and Nikon flagships, even the Canon 5ds R. Best prediction for price now; is that Pentax full-frame WHEN released will cost about fifty percent more than their highest non full-frame.

Or, if anyone happens to recall the release prices of items such as the Pentax K3 and/or second variation of that design... That should give everyone a fairly accurate number.

Keep watching (shameless plug time) sites such as B&H. They "somehow" seem to be very in tune as to when items will be coming around the corner. It's unfortunate still that Pentax cannot give a few more hints about this, much like it's leading competitors

Helpful

johnriley

Link Posted 09/09/2015 - 08:59
A quick look at Google will give us all the rumours that we would wish to absorb.

I'm sure any hard facts would be subject to an embargo before release, but all the things that have been mentioned so far are reasonable deductions based on what we think has to be to compete.

Pentax do tend to surprise us though, after all who saw the pixel shift resolution until it suddenly was released?
Best regards, John

richandfleur

Link Posted 09/09/2015 - 09:33
johnriley wrote:

Pentax do tend to surprise us though, after all who saw the pixel shift resolution until it suddenly was released?

Or the K-S1

50mpCMOS

Link Posted 09/09/2015 - 12:11
Both the KS1 and the pixel shift were clearly detailed by B&H over two months before they hit the shelves.

The only items that B&H has missed were one single Pentax item in five years. My mistake, add to that posting release dates of Sigma lenses for PK that were never quite released -although that was not their fault, it was with Sigma

Again, take a look at the pushed back release date FIVE months from now of the 80-200aw; it's on the B&H site - yet on every Pentax site nothing at all is mentioned about it
Last Edited by 50mpCMOS on 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.