Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Another pointless thread

womble
Posted 16/01/2021 - 11:53 Link
Ask it now prices maybe but the auctions are going through the usual post Christmas slump. I got a very nice flash for a fiver.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
pschlute
Posted 16/01/2021 - 19:22 Link
Hardgravity wrote:
Is it me, or are EBay prices a lot higher than they were before Christmas and UK'Freedom'?

I know they fluctuate through the year but...

Can you give some examples ? I am not seeing any difference in completed-sale prices over the last month.
davidwozhere
Posted 17/01/2021 - 01:33 Link
I think some of the ASKING prices are absolutely insane, never mind raised but the purchase prices seem about what one might expect. The notice, "20% VAT payable on this item" is also scaring buyers off big time!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Hardgravity
Posted 17/01/2021 - 07:50 Link
I have a sump guard for a BMW motorcycle on watch, the pre Xmas price average was £51, now it's £65.

A pair of rear footrest adaptors have gone from £25 to £33.

As well as the above, prices that are usualy low at this time of year are higher than they were last summer, 35mm bulk film comes to mind.

It might be the items I'm watching come from China that's the problem, but aren't they supposed to be cheaper now we're a 'free trade country'?
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Edited by Hardgravity: 17/01/2021 - 07:50
pschlute
Posted 17/01/2021 - 10:36 Link
Ah....BMW sump guards are not really my field ! I guess people are chancing their luck with higher offer prices. Don't pay the higher prices and they should come lower again.

We don't have a trade agreement with China, and there wasn't one when we were in the EU so there should be no change on that front. The EU did sign an Investment Agreement with China last month. Not a full trade deal, but could pave the way for one.

Transport logistics may be playing a part too. Coronavirus is causing problems with shipping items from all over the world, and combined with brexit bottlenecks at UK ports may persist for a number of months yet.
Lubbyman
Posted 17/01/2021 - 10:55 Link
Cost of sending things by container has gone up a lot - containers are stacked up in the wrong places all round the world, if you've got a container going on a ship you can pretty well charge what you want to people who want to put stuff in it. Other parts of the logistics system are in a similar state. Even sending post to Lewisham has been a problem, too many posties off sick with Covid-19.

And of course, if Covid precautions mean that your costs have gone up and output gone down, you might just see whether you can sell at a higher price to compensate.

Steve
Hardgravity
Posted 19/01/2021 - 07:50 Link
Good points folks, I hadn't thought about the container side..

Just about to refuse a £10 offer on a £50 item I'm selling.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Lubbyman
Posted 19/01/2021 - 10:24 Link
Anyone else going to do the RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch 29-31 January?

Steve
Aitch53
Posted 19/01/2021 - 10:29 Link
Don't have a garden.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
takuman
Posted 19/01/2021 - 10:43 Link
Lubbyman wrote:

Steve

Oh yes.
Just passing thru
Edited by takuman: 19/01/2021 - 10:44
Lubbyman
Posted 19/01/2021 - 13:13 Link
Aitch53 wrote:
Don't have a garden.

The RSPB says it can be done from a balcony or through a window looking onto a green space or courtyard.

Steve
RobL
Posted 19/01/2021 - 16:51 Link
This winter I have seen sod-all in the garden apart from a few sparrows, a couple of magpies, a robin, blackbird and pigeons. And a heron after my fish. Hardly worth the bother of a survey.
Edited by RobL: 19/01/2021 - 16:54
bforbes
Posted 19/01/2021 - 17:08 Link
Two Blackbirds and a Dunnock....all year. So no survey here.
PRYorkshire
Posted 19/01/2021 - 18:47 Link
Lubbyman wrote:

Steve

Yes definitely. I actually have been doing this through the year as during the lockdown in March I signed up for the British Trust for Ornithology Garden Birdwatch, being retired, aside from our daily walk and photography, there wasn't a lot we could do. The BTO Garden Birdwatch is the same as the RSPB's but you record the maximum numbers of each bird variety seen in your garden each week. It does make you look more regularly each day and I then photograph anything new that I see.
Paul

K1000, Espio 140, ist, istD, K70, K3iii and numerous lenses, just don't tell my wife.
RobL
Posted 19/01/2021 - 19:59 Link
PRYorkshire wrote:
Lubbyman wrote:

Steve

Yes definitely. I actually have been doing this through the year as during the lockdown in March I signed up for the British Trust for Ornithology Garden Birdwatch, being retired, aside from our daily walk and photography, there wasn't a lot we could do. The BTO Garden Birdwatch is the same as the RSPB's but you record the maximum numbers of each bird variety seen in your garden each week. It does make you look more regularly each day and I then photograph anything new that I see.

How do you know you aren’t counting the same birds more than once?

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.