Another Pentax Kx owner.

ElRazur

Link Posted 11/08/2010 - 22:54
Hello there, and nice forum we have here. Okay, so here is a brief "camera history" about me lol:

I started out with a Bridge type camera - Fuji film 9600 - but I ended up wanting a beginner DSLR, so I bought the Pentax Kx with twin lenses. It was too much off a bargain to pass off. As it stand, I am enjoying my new toy.

I look forward to posting here and to learn from everyone. (I am a complete noob )

Anyway, nice forum guys.

i-Berg

Link Posted 12/08/2010 - 00:13
G'day and welcome.
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

StephenLewis

Link Posted 12/08/2010 - 03:25
Hello and welcome. I am looking forward to seeing your posts.

Regards,

Stephen
I gladly welcome C & C's. Being foggy minded they really help me learn.

snappychappy

Link Posted 12/08/2010 - 06:28
Hi and welcome, get some images posted up, we are a friendly lot.
My piccies.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 12/08/2010 - 06:30
Welcome to the family.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Snootchies

Link Posted 12/08/2010 - 08:49
Welcome!

you'll definitely enjoy your K-x!!!

Which kit lens package did you go for?
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link

ElRazur

Link Posted 12/08/2010 - 11:26
Thank you guys.

Snootchies wrote:
Welcome!

you'll definitely enjoy your K-x!!!

Which kit lens package did you go for?

Thanks.

It was the twin lens package from PC word (Yeah I know, PC world lol). I originally wanted to buy it from CameraWarehouse (£544), but after seeing a link on here showing the chain stores are doing it for less, I just went in and bought one for £449.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/pentax-k-x-digital-slr-camera-18-55mm-zoom-lens-50...

Mine is black with 18-55mm lens and 50-200mm lens.

Right guys, I will be needing your guide please. I am taking my time going through the manual and taking test shot when I can. What wil be the best way to learn this camera? I am thinking of trying to focus on a particular aspect - for example, learn about Shutter priority and then take photos of various object around that. . . ?

Also I am looking at picking up a 70-300mm lens as it appears to be selling for cheap, or should I just make use of what I have for now? Finally, I am looking at getting a bag, what will you guys recommend? Thanks.
Last Edited by ElRazur on 12/08/2010 - 11:28

Snootchies

Link Posted 12/08/2010 - 11:34
Go for the Tamron 70-300!!!!!!

You get a very reasonable macro mode, and it's still pretty sharp at 300mm. Used copies go for around £60 - £80.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link

Helpful

ElRazur

Link Posted 12/08/2010 - 11:37
Thanks. I have read reviews around it and it is fair to assume the images can be soft at the far end? Do you share any of these views?

johnwhit

Link Posted 12/08/2010 - 11:41
ElRazur wrote:
Thanks. I have read reviews around it and it is fair to assume the images can be soft at the far end? Do you share any of these views?

welcome

Stop it down to f/8 or f/11 and it should be nice and sharp.

Regards,

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

Helpful

i-Berg

Link Posted 12/08/2010 - 11:58
Head over to the lens forum on this site, and have a look at the chat in that. Ask questions.

The best way to start is "to get your feet wet" - take pictures, do some post-processing of them, post them here and then get some discussion going about your images.

If you don't yet have a Photobucket account - get one soon, it's free, and it will make posting your images here a fairly simple operation.

Hint - use aperture priority, let the camera pick a suitable shutter speed.

Or just kick off with 'Green' mode until you get started with your own experimentation.

The manual has heaps of great info in it, and it's worth a thorough re-read.
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

Helpful

tomkeet

Link Posted 12/08/2010 - 18:45
Hi and welcome to the Forum.
Regards
Tom

K-3iii's.
SMC PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE 1:3.5-4.5 10-17mm ED [IF], SMC PENTAX-DA* 1:2.8 16-50mm ED AL [IF] SDM,
SMC PENTAX-DA 1:4 15mm ED AL Limited, SMC PENTAX-DA 1:3.2 21mm AL Limited,
SMC PENTAX-F 1:2.8 28mm, SMC PENTAX-FA 1:2 35mm AL,
SMC PENTAX-FA 1:1.4 50mm, SMC PENTAX-DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited,
SMC PENTAX-D FA MACRO 1:2.8 100mm WR, SMC PENTAX-DA* 1:4 300mm ED [IF] SDM,
HD PENTAX-DA 1:5.6 560mm ED AW,
HD PENTAX -DA 1.4x AW AF REAR CONVERTER,
PENTAX AF160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash.

https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artist-gallery/?artist_id=20168301

GMatthews

Link Posted 12/08/2010 - 19:08
Hi

I only joined this forum last week so 'welcome' from me too.

I'm sure you'll receive lots of advice here but I'll stick to the following 3 pieces for now:

1) Take photos... lots of them and analyse them on your pc. You won't like all of them and the best way to learn is from your mistakes. Understand what it was you were trying to capture and what will improve it next time. Don't worry about getting it wrong... we all do it sometimes. Also get to know what you like, why you like it and what you did right to capture it.

2)Don't just stick to green mode. Try all the functions and see what differences they make. Get to know your new camera and two lenses well before you worry about adding to your kit. Learn their capabilities and limitations to help you decide where next to invest.

3)Read as much about photography as you can. Get to understand shutter speed, aperture, depth of field, ISO, histograms, composition and a whole lot more.

Good luck and have fun!

Regards

Geoff

Helpful

CoDa

Link Posted 12/08/2010 - 22:27
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

ElRazur

Link Posted 13/08/2010 - 08:46
Weldingblues wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Thanks man. 'like your signature.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.