Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Another new boy here.

RR
Posted 03/12/2008 - 02:41 Link
Hi All,

I've just joined the world of Pentax with the purchase of a K20d. The current price drop & cashback offer was too good to pass up. I was intending to wait til after xmas to jump into a dslr & was in the process of confusing myself with reviews, tests, opinions & conjecture on all the various models from all the manufacturers, but as the K20d was selling out fast I thought I better check one out whilst I could find one.

My local pentax pro centre had one in stock & were willing to pricematch Jessops website so I found myself walking out with one. I checked out the competition & the only other one with a quality feel was the D300, but I'm an exposure lock and centre focus spot kinda guy so paying around double the price for a complicated metering system & 50 focus points I'll never use was out of the question. I was really surprised by the build quality & functionality of the Pentax (pleasantly I might add).

No money for new glass til mid Jan, so I'm just gonna go out and shoot to see what lenses I think I need to pursue further.
For now I just have the kit lense & waiting for some ebay fodder to turn up. Snapped up a few fast(ish) manual primes (28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.7, 50mm f2 & 135 f2.8 & some extension tubes) This lot should keep me occupied til I can afford some new glass to play with.
It will also help me see if I can live with primes vs zooms - I certainly hope so, those limited lenses look very nice indeed.

Manual focusing & stop down metering will do me good as I explore the k20d I think. No rush to take the shot then so can put more time into composition & getting the tech bits right (dof, shutter speed, etc.)
Will benefit my skill & the end result I think. The temptation to go out and point & shoot your new camera at anything & everything just results in a hard drive full of mediocre images at best.

I have had a few problems getting the focus spot on with the 50mm f1.7 I bought, especially at wider apertures, so have ordered a split prism focusing screen to aid me, I'll let you all know how I get on.

Thanks for reading my mini life story & I'll see you all soon with some questions no doubt.
Don
Posted 03/12/2008 - 02:47 Link
Hi!
Welcome.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
fatspider
Posted 03/12/2008 - 07:38 Link
Quote:
The temptation to go out and point & shoot your new camera at anything & everything just results in a hard drive full of mediocre images at best.

And I thought thats what digital photography was all about

Welcome to the forum Bob
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Hyram
Posted 03/12/2008 - 08:32 Link
Welcome RR
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Steve O
Posted 03/12/2008 - 08:48 Link
Hello, and welcome.
Steve
-----
Keep your words soft and nice in case you have to eat them.
hefty1
Posted 03/12/2008 - 11:58 Link
Welcome to the forum - some of those older lenses may be a little "clunky" in use but the results are often sublime. The 50/1.7's especially are fantastic lenses.
Joining the Q
ttk
Posted 03/12/2008 - 14:23 Link
Hi and Welcome RR,
would you please fill in your location details in your profile when you have a mo..Thanks..
Tel,
Roscoe
Posted 03/12/2008 - 16:06 Link
RR wrote:
Hi All,

I've just joined the world of Pentax with the purchase of a K20d. The current price drop & cashback offer was too good to pass up. I was intending to wait til after xmas to jump into a dslr & was in the process of confusing myself with reviews, tests, opinions & conjecture on all the various models from all the manufacturers, but as the K20d was selling out fast I thought I better check one out whilst I could find one.

My local pentax pro centre had one in stock & were willing to pricematch Jessops website so I found myself walking out with one. I checked out the competition & the only other one with a quality feel was the D300, but I'm an exposure lock and centre focus spot kinda guy so paying around double the price for a complicated metering system & 50 focus points I'll never use was out of the question. I was really surprised by the build quality & functionality of the Pentax (pleasantly I might add).

No money for new glass til mid Jan, so I'm just gonna go out and shoot to see what lenses I think I need to pursue further.
For now I just have the kit lense & waiting for some ebay fodder to turn up. Snapped up a few fast(ish) manual primes (28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.7, 50mm f2 & 135 f2.8 & some extension tubes) This lot should keep me occupied til I can afford some new glass to play with.
It will also help me see if I can live with primes vs zooms - I certainly hope so, those limited lenses look very nice indeed.

Manual focusing & stop down metering will do me good as I explore the k20d I think. No rush to take the shot then so can put more time into composition & getting the tech bits right (dof, shutter speed, etc.)
Will benefit my skill & the end result I think. The temptation to go out and point & shoot your new camera at anything & everything just results in a hard drive full of mediocre images at best.

I have had a few problems getting the focus spot on with the 50mm f1.7 I bought, especially at wider apertures, so have ordered a split prism focusing screen to aid me, I'll let you all know how I get on.

Thanks for reading my mini life story & I'll see you all soon with some questions no doubt.

Hello Bob,
Like you I've just bought a K20D, and entered the world of Pentax DSLR.
Welcome to the Forum
Tony-O
Posted 03/12/2008 - 16:24 Link
Hi RR,Welcome to the Forum.Tony-O.
K7,DA*50-135, 35mmLTD Macro, 21mm Ltd, Voightlaender 58mm 1.4 NOKTON SL,Ricoh GRD,GRX, Zeiss 100mm f2 Makro Planar.Zeiss Ikon ZM,Zeiss f1.5 C Sonnar.

It ain't no sin to take off your skin,and dance around in your bones.Tom Waits.
TGK
Posted 03/12/2008 - 20:02 Link
Hi and welcome
Tracey
K100D Super,DA 55-300.
CS3
Gwyn
Posted 03/12/2008 - 20:17 Link
Hello RR, welcome.

RR as your location is not wildly helpful btw I have no idea where that might be.
RR
Posted 03/12/2008 - 21:38 Link
Whoops, sorted my location out now.

My extension tubes arrived today so took a quick snap to test them out. Metering is well off when all tubes are used, dof preview works fine so aperture levers must be operating, just not fast enough for the metering system I'd suggest.

Below (hopefully) is what caused the impulse buy of my K20d. Shot with the M 50mm f1.7 & all 3 extension tubes - 20 seconds at F22 iso 200, no tripod or lighting setup, just lay the camera down next to my fish tank for a light source. Pretty impressed with the result of such a quick test as I wasn't expecting much from a total outlay of £25 !

Comment Image

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.