Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Another K3 mk.III thread

takuman
Posted 19/05/2021 - 13:26 Link
Thanks Vic. Already have. Saw chat about this so liked what I read. My gift to me! Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro . Regards John. PS I will tell the wife it was your idea. Regards John
Just passing thru
Lubbyman
Posted 19/05/2021 - 16:28 Link
walkeja wrote:
If you move to mirrorless, then you have another piece of electronics to go wrong.

That's true. But having said that, I took my 12+ year old K20D for a nostalgic morning out a couple of days ago and its 12+ year old electronics worked perfectly (as did the optical VF, of course). Not to mention Voyagers 1 and 2 that are 44 years old, have each travelled well over 10 billion miles in outer space, never been serviced and their electronics are still functioning. There's no reason to doubt the reliability of good quality electronics.

Steve
johnriley
Posted 19/05/2021 - 16:36 Link
Your K20D probably has more computing power than Voyager 1 and 2 together.
Best regards, John
robbiec
Posted 19/05/2021 - 21:38 Link
Been informed that my K-3iii is on its way today. I'm still in my 40s so probably makes me a young un
I find the older I get the more cynical I become of market driven technologies - some examples,
:Win 95 over OS/2 - OS/2 had an object oriented desktop that still has not equalled today 20+ years on.
:Cloud vs OnPrem - I can build a workstation for €4K that has a equivalent compute power to a cloud server that costs €1.8K pm.
:Nokia's Meego on the N9 vs Windows Mobile - shakes head
While I understand the concept of the mirrorless camera helping a layperson creating a better image through improved compute and automation, Pentax is right to and brave in sticking to their concept of their photographic process and majoring on that. The one thing that has struck me in any report I've watched or read is that the K-3iii is fun to use but underneath it all is an image creating powerhouse.
I'm looking forward to its arrival.
My Gallery
[url=http://pentaxphotogallery.com/Robbie Corrigan]ppg[/url]
Simonmac
Posted 19/05/2021 - 22:21 Link
vic cross wrote:
To Takuman. Hi John. Your just a youngster. I'm now 82 and have just bought the silver limited anniversary K1 Mk2. Now that "MIGHT" see me out but you should look ahead and buy something new for your old age.
CHEERS Vic.

That is brilliant Vic. I moan at 53 about weight and the like. You have genuinely inspired me!
macmccreery.com
www.flickr.com/photos/simac/
www.500px.com/simac
Flan
Posted 19/05/2021 - 22:35 Link
Hi Robbiec,to my mind I think your right and many other posters about Pentax and their commitment to the purity of the photographic experience and in the last number of years have managed to have convinced their Ricoh guardians as well and that is no mean feat . The history is special and all is
there for everyone to see.
Yes everything takes time and maybe that’s the price we pay for a dedicated team with a proven legacy .
So best of luck with the K3iii and celebrate it with new images.
I’ll tell you this. No eternal reward will forgive us now . For wasting the dawn.😉Jim Morrison, I couldn’t help myself😀
vic cross
Posted 20/05/2021 - 01:06 Link
Simon. The K1 mk2 with battery grip and the Sigma 50/500 is a bit of a beast but it's not to bad on a monopod.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Chrism8
Posted 20/05/2021 - 07:26 Link
vic cross wrote:
Simon. The K1 mk2 with battery grip and the Sigma 50/500 is a bit of a beast but it's not to bad on a monopod.
CHEERS Vic.

The K1 with grip plus the Pentax 150 - 450 is quite manageable handheld, just keep the shutter speed up a tad or a steady arm

1/125 sec ISO 100 F14 ( K1 + 150 - 450 @ 450mm )

Comment Image
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Daronl
Posted 20/05/2021 - 10:39 Link
Well I am a Pentax man of 73 years with aborted ( expensive) forays intoCanon and Nikon (plus a couple more).

I have also persistently winged on this site about the poor buffering tracking snd AF on Pentax cameras.

My first love is bird photography and after many years of frustration with BIF I bought a Nikon D500 and a used 400 zoom.

Well, having owned the K3.3 for just a few weeks I have hammered BIF with it AND IT IS REMARKABLE,

I sold the D500 and can say I am gobsmacked at this beautiful K3.3

I have no complaints, it is just a marvel and is a better camera all round camera than the D500 as well with regard to tracking and AF, matching it ( if not bettering it) on action and BIF.

It is the best Pentax I have used and IQ is barely discernible from my K1.

So well done Pentax even if the the birth of this wonderful machine was over-long and very painful.

Any serious wild life photographer would be in awe of this camera regardless of what camp they are in.

I have had to eat my words and “winges” but do so with pleasure
Daronl
womble
Posted 20/05/2021 - 11:58 Link
Although I have a great deal of sympathy (obviously!) with many of the comments, here are a few observations.

Firstly, the idea that phone cameras are only for snaps by people not into taking good photos is no longer true. For example Tim Clinch, a good professional photographer with a long career especially in food photography and still life, now mainly uses a phone camera. He used to use a 5x4 view camera. The current generation of phone cameras are serious pieces of equipment and in the right hands can take fantastic images.

Secondly, although the new mirrorless models are pleasing the gear heads, the fact that changing to mirrorless will also mean changing many/most/all of their lenses is not something creating joy amongst current dSLR owners. Whether the big boys care and will maintain both their mirrorless and SLR lines is hard to say, but the suspicion must be that the SLR line will be phased out.

Thirdly, in the 1950s/1960s everyone predicted that rangefinders were a thing of the past and no one would want one. Leica has proved them wrong. In the first decade of this millennium, many argued film was dead. There has been a major resurgence. The clever marketing strategy for Pentax would be to claim the niche SLR market as Leica did for rangefinders. The K-3iii is a superb camera. Backwards compatibility is one of its strengths. I love the fact I can attach a 60 year old M42 lens to my K-3iii and use it very easily.

Which brings me to fourthly. Pentax have to promote themselves in this way. WE make SLRs with the best viewfinder ever. WE are going to support that corner of the market. WE are going to make legacy lenses a core part of what we support. Rather than making idiotic comments about mirrorless being a fad, shout from the rooftops what we do well. Unfortunately, being the Leica of the SLR world does mean that the prices are going to be Leica-esque as well.

Pentax are a small niche brand. They need to define and consolidate that niche, and be the very best they can at what they do.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
RobL
Posted 20/05/2021 - 12:06 Link
That's great to hear DaronL, and you get to use the teleconverter on it so a double bonus.
Mike-P
Posted 20/05/2021 - 12:26 Link
Can you focus and fire the shutter using the touchscreen?
maranatha
Posted 20/05/2021 - 17:59 Link
vic cross wrote:
To Takuman. Hi John. Your just a youngster. I'm now 82 and have just bought the silver limited anniversary K1 Mk2. Now that "MIGHT" see me out but you should look ahead and buy something new for your old age.
CHEERS Vic.

Thats great Vic and I hope u have many many more years to use and enjoy it Paul
A question is only easy when you know the answer ..
JonSchick
Posted 20/05/2021 - 21:25 Link
womble wrote:
Although I have a great deal of sympathy (obviously!) with many of the comments, here are a few observations.

Firstly, the idea that phone cameras are only for snaps by people not into taking good photos is no longer true. For example Tim Clinch, a good professional photographer with a long career especially in food photography and still life, now mainly uses a phone camera. He used to use a 5x4 view camera. The current generation of phone cameras are serious pieces of equipment and in the right hands can take fantastic images.

Secondly, although the new mirrorless models are pleasing the gear heads, the fact that changing to mirrorless will also mean changing many/most/all of their lenses is not something creating joy amongst current dSLR owners. Whether the big boys care and will maintain both their mirrorless and SLR lines is hard to say, but the suspicion must be that the SLR line will be phased out.

Thirdly, in the 1950s/1960s everyone predicted that rangefinders were a thing of the past and no one would want one. Leica has proved them wrong. In the first decade of this millennium, many argued film was dead. There has been a major resurgence. The clever marketing strategy for Pentax would be to claim the niche SLR market as Leica did for rangefinders. The K-3iii is a superb camera. Backwards compatibility is one of its strengths. I love the fact I can attach a 60 year old M42 lens to my K-3iii and use it very easily.

Which brings me to fourthly. Pentax have to promote themselves in this way. WE make SLRs with the best viewfinder ever. WE are going to support that corner of the market. WE are going to make legacy lenses a core part of what we support. Rather than making idiotic comments about mirrorless being a fad, shout from the rooftops what we do well. Unfortunately, being the Leica of the SLR world does mean that the prices are going to be Leica-esque as well.

Pentax are a small niche brand. They need to define and consolidate that niche, and be the very best they can at what they do.

Absolutely spot on. Pentax is not going to be a major competitor for Canikony but they can do very well if they produce products as good as the K3iii in the niche that they are carving out for themselves. That does mean, however, that their prices are unfortunately likely to be higher than many Pentaxians are used to.
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link
oldhat
Posted 21/05/2021 - 13:51 Link
In agreement with Womble.
Phone cameras have increased in quality of image produced and there is every reason to anticipate further advancement, particularly If lenses can be attached.
As this situation will affect all stand alone camera manufacturers, Pentax really has to consider emphasising and promoting their "niche" camera position now that everyone has deserted that DSLR ship. Whilst Ricoh will consider Japan and the Far East their main market, they should make some effort at promotion in Europe, particularly of the K3iii.
The last occasion I recall of any obvious marketing was when the K10D came out!!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.