Amazing new medium

RR

Link Posted 13/08/2009 - 22:05
WATCH THIS

If it looks this good on film image what it's like in the flesh !
My Flickr

Malo1961

Link Posted 13/08/2009 - 22:19
I have seen something like that on youtube.
Some idiots projected a prison escape (old fashioned by rope) with a large format beamer on a actual prison wall.
And indeed........all hell broke loose.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

RR

Link Posted 13/08/2009 - 22:26
Public projections are becoming more commonplace, but never as spectacular as this new technology.

I see a compact has just been (or is shortly to be) released with a built in projector, also a 3d camera with 2 sensors by another. How long before we see a marriage of the 2 I wonder ?
My Flickr

Tooks

Link Posted 13/08/2009 - 22:47
Incredibly impressive!
Last Edited by Tooks on 13/08/2009 - 22:47

pentaxian450

Link Posted 13/08/2009 - 23:19
Watch this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVK5qXfYMwA
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Aero

Link Posted 13/08/2009 - 23:43
Extraordinary. This is part of what makes Montreal one of the top cities in the world.

Al
Last Edited by Aero on 13/08/2009 - 23:43

pentaxian450

Link Posted 14/08/2009 - 13:19
Aero wrote:
Extraordinary. This is part of what makes Montreal one of the top cities in the world.

Al

Actually, this is in Québec City, about 140 miles north east of Montréal. Québec is the only fortified city left in North America (if my memory serves me well). You can still go on the "Plaines d'Abraham", were Admiral Wolfe defeated Montcalm and won Canada for the British Crown. A truly great historical city. It is also where Samuel de Champlain built the first French dwelling in North America. It is a UNESCO listed city, worth visiting.

Aero

Link Posted 14/08/2009 - 14:32
Apologies, Yves. Change that to "... this is part of what makes Quebec such a great province". I'd love to visit Montreal and Quebec City one day soon.

Al

pentaxian450

Link Posted 14/08/2009 - 15:35
Aero wrote:
I'd love to visit Montreal and Quebec City one day soon.Al

If you ever come across the pond, let me know, and I'll show you the Québec you couldn't see with a tour operator.

Aero

Link Posted 14/08/2009 - 15:56
Will do. I've overdue for a trip back to BC and the extra "leg" to your part of the country would be more than worthwhile.

Al

rparmar

Link Posted 16/08/2009 - 01:04
pentaxian450 wrote:
If you ever come across the pond, let me know, and I'll show you the Québec you couldn't see with a tour operator.

Yeah, like what's the name of the pub that's right down on the plains? Can't remember. Was some time ago.

But I think Sacrilège or Pub St. Alexandre might be the place to hang out.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

pentaxian450

Link Posted 16/08/2009 - 13:33
There is a lot more than that to see, but I agree we can't dismiss that important part of Québec. I was thinking more in the line of the "pioneer's road" and less mainstream places that would be known by "locals" only. I remember the first time I went to England, went to see a play, but it was all about British society, and even if everybody was laughing, I didn't understand anything and fell asleep. I was thinking about things more or less in that line of thought.

rparmar

Link Posted 16/08/2009 - 14:10
Oh yeah, my mind always turns to good pubs, and there are some nice Quebec breweries... yum, beer!

Was just in Canada for the second visit with my wife. For the third trip we definitely would like to do Ottawa - Montreal - Quebec, especially as we have friends in the capital. Quebec has a great feeling, especially for N.Americans who would like to feel a bit of Europe. The Gothic style is captured very well in Hitchcock's "I Confess".
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

rparmar

Link Posted 16/08/2009 - 14:29
But, back on topic. it should be pointed out that the original video post is not of a live projection. It's just a demo, as one of the comments on Vimeo points out. Here's the real thing:

http://vimeo.com/5677879

The History of Quebec projection is technically amazing, though I would personally have found some cooler content. I do like some of the techniques, but it's so after-school TV CBC. Besides, they should have used Pierre Schaeffer's music for the "Le chemin de fer" section.

But the bit where the building turns into a boat is class.

pentaxian450

Link Posted 16/08/2009 - 14:29
Before going to Ottawa, maybe you should make a short stop in Kingston (Ont), seat of the first Canadian government. The government was moved from Kingston to Ottawa when the Americans tried to invade Canada (yes, they tried that with their neighbors). Since Kingston is just a stone throw from the American border, it was deemed too vulnerable, but you can still visit the old Fort. On the other hand, there is a lot to see in Ottawa. The War museum, Science and Technology museum, Aviation museum, the Parliament, the Rideau canal,and ... But Québec city is something very special.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.