advice on photo PP
Posted 31/03/2011 - 17:19
Link
I'd be pretty pleased with those too if they were first shots from an unfamiliar lens, nicely done. TBH I still use CS3 because it loads faster than CS5 (32 bit anyway) and only use the RAW cnverter, a little smart sharpen 200-300% @ 0.5 and maybe noise reduction if needed with Topaz Denoise. Other than cropping, levels tweak and saving different formats PSD, jpeg etc thats about it for me. If you've not already done so I might try a little smart sharpen to bring out the fur/feather detail a little.
John
John
Posted 01/04/2011 - 09:13
Link
johnwhit wrote:
a little smart sharpen 200-300% @ 0.5 John
Thanks for the comment John. Not sure what you mean by the above statement, could you (or anyone else.) explain a little more..Sorry but im a little thick..But I want to try and take my photography to the next level
a little smart sharpen 200-300% @ 0.5 John
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses
Stuart..
Stuart..
Posted 01/04/2011 - 09:37
Link
Hi Stuart,
From the filter tab in PS, scroll down to Sharpen>Smart Sharpen, from the pop-up screen that appears:
Amount: 200%
Radius: 0.5 Pixels
Remove: Lens blur
[IMG]http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac49/johnwhit24/5577140398_bbd49374de.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac49/johnwhit24/5577127482_c310d4dd9a_z.jpg[/IMG]
John
From the filter tab in PS, scroll down to Sharpen>Smart Sharpen, from the pop-up screen that appears:
Amount: 200%
Radius: 0.5 Pixels
Remove: Lens blur
[IMG]http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac49/johnwhit24/5577140398_bbd49374de.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac49/johnwhit24/5577127482_c310d4dd9a_z.jpg[/IMG]
John
Posted 01/04/2011 - 12:47
Link
Not bad at all - I think a lot of people dismiss the 55-300 as a kit lens when it can produce a very reasonable image.
PS - You had better let Tozza know that you have found Cyril. I think he was a little concerned.
PS - You had better let Tozza know that you have found Cyril. I think he was a little concerned.
Posted 01/04/2011 - 13:39
Link
John, they both look the same! Ideally you want to sharpen the subject while leaving the background unaffected, and de-noise the background while leaving the subject unaffected. Using layers would facilitate this.
Or for sharpening which will not affect the background, you can use unsharp mask, and set the threshold level at the point where the noise is not sharpened (and therefore worsened).
Or for sharpening which will not affect the background, you can use unsharp mask, and set the threshold level at the point where the noise is not sharpened (and therefore worsened).
Posted 02/04/2011 - 09:18
Link
Much appreciated. These really are great pointers..
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses
Stuart..
Stuart..
Posted 02/04/2011 - 14:17
Link
johnwhit wrote:
Hi Will,
I've only applied a little de-noise to the bakground, maybe I've been a liitle too restrained. I'm back off lunch now, I'll have another go when I get home, very little software to play with here
John
It's the over-sharpening that caused the noise !
Hi Will,
I've only applied a little de-noise to the bakground, maybe I've been a liitle too restrained. I'm back off lunch now, I'll have another go when I get home, very little software to play with here
John
K-7 | K10 | DA 18-135 | DA 18-250 | DA 55-300 | DFA 100 |
Posted 02/04/2011 - 16:15
Link
Cisco wrote:
It's the over-sharpening that caused the noise !
Maybe they're jpegs straight from the camera and already sharpened, I generally only work with RAW, besides the basic advice is still relevant, it's up to the individual how they process their images.It's the over-sharpening that caused the noise !
John
Posted 02/04/2011 - 18:19
Link
200% sharpening is way to much in any situation! Seriously, if you print that it will look even more weird than it does on screen!
It produces some really bad artefacts, look at the background twigs! That is not supposed to have sharp lines.
You need to balance the sharpening, detail and masking. I find that 100/30/60 tends to be a simple all rounder but depending on the subject masking will change a lot.
It produces some really bad artefacts, look at the background twigs! That is not supposed to have sharp lines.
You need to balance the sharpening, detail and masking. I find that 100/30/60 tends to be a simple all rounder but depending on the subject masking will change a lot.
Posted 02/04/2011 - 18:30
Link
Quote:
You need to balance the sharpening, detail and masking. I find that 100/30/60 tends to be a simple all rounder but depending on the subject masking will change a lot.
You lost me with that comment, Dan Yes they are Jpegs. almost straight out the camera. They have had exposure tweaked. Cropped and levels set. That is my skill level im afraid.
You need to balance the sharpening, detail and masking. I find that 100/30/60 tends to be a simple all rounder but depending on the subject masking will change a lot.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses
Stuart..
Stuart..
Posted 02/04/2011 - 18:34
Link
stub wrote:
You lost me with that comment, Dan Yes they are Jpegs. almost straight out the camera. They have had exposure tweaked. Cropped and levels set. That is my skill level im afraid.
That explains a lot, there is probably some in-camera sharpening, depending what your default settings are.You lost me with that comment, Dan Yes they are Jpegs. almost straight out the camera. They have had exposure tweaked. Cropped and levels set. That is my skill level im afraid.
John
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1973 posts
16 years
Manchester
Stuart..