Advice for a wildlife newbie

MattyH
Posted 11/06/2014 - 11:32 Link
I have been thinking for a while and having seen some stunning photos on here, I thought I would try my hand at a bit of wildlife photography, I currently don't own any long lenses and the last one I did own was the sigma 135-400mm some years ago.

My number one thought was to buy the DA 300mm f4, but the more I think about it a zoom would be better, but which one? I can't stretch to the DA 60-250mm so that's out, So I have been looking at the Sigma 120-400mm and the Sigma 150-500mm.

The price difference on the two I have short listed what with the cash back offer on the 500mm is so close not to matter but the 120-400mm is slightly smaller and lighter and a stop faster but I would be 100mm down, but will I miss it?

The lens will be used on a K3 with grip so this now throws up another problem as the the tripod I own will not be strong enough to take the weight, so any advice on tripods, heads or monopods would be also helpful.

I would like to point out I will not be trekking into jungles of far way lands but just to local nature reserves and field close to where I live.

Any help or advice will be fantastic as I am a total newbie to this field of photography.
Blythman
Posted 11/06/2014 - 11:59 Link
Matty, I started off with the DA55-300. Found this wasn't long enough.

Got myself a 150-500, which is great value and can produce really sharp images. Here's an example link

While I have used it wide open at the full 500mm, I tend to rein it in to approx 450mm, and close it down a stop when conditions allow. Here's one at 500mm and wide open at f6.3 link I use this lens exclusively hand held. It has exellent image stabilisation. Better than the Pentax IS in my opinion, with options for static and panning scenarios.

I also used the DA 300 and the 1.7x for a lighter combo.

However now (aside from the 560mm I've bought) I use the DA 300 and the 1.4x TC when its required. Again, this set up is all hand held. And the image quality is fabulous. See here for some shots with the TC https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/bempton-cliffs-30th-may-2014-49705 or here for shots without the TC https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/a-few-with-the-da-300---f4-40397

You need all the length you can get. I'm still doing sizeable crops with the 560mm. So, there's no way I'd be tempted with a 120-400 which is perhaps sharp up to 350mm

If I were you I'd get the DA 300 and the 1.4x. If this is out of the price range get the 150-500. Cropping images from the 300 and 1.4TC will give you better quality than the full image from the zoom. The TC attached gives f5.6 too. My 150-500 will be up for sale soon ... lol
Alan


PPG
Flickr
Edited by Blythman: 11/06/2014 - 12:02
MattyH
Posted 11/06/2014 - 12:13 Link
Thanks Alan I was hoping you would offer up some advice, I was confused a bit over whether I needed a longer reach or a faster lens without breaking the bank. As I thought I could just crop my images if I went for the 400mm

I also I must admit never thought about hand holding these types of lenses but you have but my mind at rest with that concern as well.

I already own the new 1.4x converter and my first buy was always going to be the DA 300mm f4, but I think I will get more use out of having a zoom, until I find a focal length I am happy with.

Matt

P.s
I just love that photo of the Goldfinch.
Edited by MattyH: 11/06/2014 - 12:14
McBrian
Posted 11/06/2014 - 14:49 Link
Hi Matt,

I have to agree with Alan, length, length and more length for wildlife.

I have also have a 150-500 which I use for wildlife and I have to admit it is always zoomed out near the 500 mark. I've also not long aquired a DA*300 and the 1.4xHD combo which I'm still getting to grips with but the 150-500 hasn't been played with since.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
MattyH
Posted 11/06/2014 - 16:23 Link
Cheers Brian, like I said I was confused wether to go for length or speed and then crop, it looks like the 150-500mm for me
Posted 11/06/2014 - 18:35 Link
Another vote for the 150 500 from me Mat - i used it nearly every other day for three years chasing birds and other wildlife. With a little love and care you can yield great results

Comment Image
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
MattyH
Posted 11/06/2014 - 19:50 Link
Now these are the type of shots I am looking for, Cheers Alistair for sharing.
NeilP
Posted 11/06/2014 - 21:21 Link
Sorry if this doesn't help, but since I bought the DA*300m my Sigma 150-500mm hasn't been used TBH, Im now using it on my K-3 and the ability to go down to f4 in lower light has been the difference between getting shots and not.

I took this last night hand held at f5.0, shutter speed was 1/250th sec and Ive cropped to about 50 or 60% of orginal image, about the 500mm field of view.

Comment Image
rabbit by Neil Phillips, on Flickr

On my Sigma I would have been at f8.0 to keep it sharp, at too low a shutter speed to not get shake/motion blur and only have been at 420mm as it softens towards 500mm. I find its better to use 300mm prime and crop, especially on K-3.

That said Dave C uses his 150-500mm still and owns the Da*300mm so I guess its what you shoot the most. The 300mm is a killer dragonfly and large butterfly lens, which I shot a lot off
davidstorm
Posted 11/06/2014 - 21:37 Link
I've recently acquired a DA*300 and 1.4TC. I don't class myself as a Wildlife Photographer, purely because I don't have the time to pursue it properly, given my job and home commitments. However, when I get the chance I really enjoy it and I want the best equipment for the job. Currently, in the Pentax World, my feeling is that the DA*300 and 1.4TC are the best available, barring spending a lot of money on a DA560. Yes, you lose the flexibility of the Sigma 150-500, but you gain extra light transmission (very important) and the ability to shoot at maximum aperture and still get razor sharp images (also very important).

The Sigma 150-500 is a truly excellent lens, as Alan and others have demonstrated it can take very sharp images, but it's not quite in the same ball park as the DA*300 and 1.4 TC combination, especially when the light is poor.

I've just sold my 150-500, the clincher for me was that I still own a DA L 55-300, this covers the shorter focal lengths if I need the flexibility. I couldn't justify keeping the Sigma as it would have got very little use, as good as it was. To counter this, I would still recommend the 150-500 for someone who wants to get involved in wildlife photography, it won't let you down and costs a lot less than a DA*300 plus 1.4TC.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Edited by davidstorm: 11/06/2014 - 21:37
MattyH
Posted 11/06/2014 - 21:42 Link
Thanks Neil, I have always wanted the DA 300mm but as I am new to this game my thinking was your viewset a zoom in which i could gain some experience and what I was comfortable with.

I will have the gear but like they say, no idea and will be starting from scratch. what are your views on the 150-500mm not compared to the 300mm but on its own merits.
ilovesaabs
Posted 11/06/2014 - 21:43 Link
QuestionableCarrot wrote:
Another vote for the 150 500 from me Mat - i used it nearly every other day for three years chasing birds and other wildlife. With a little love and care you can yield great results

Comment Image
Is that bird stuffed QC? I've never been able to get a Blue Tit anywhere near as still and sharp (and close as that)..... JEALOUS!!
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
MattyH
Posted 11/06/2014 - 21:44 Link
Thanks David also, now what do I do?
davidstorm
Posted 11/06/2014 - 21:48 Link
MattyH wrote:
Thanks David also, now what do I do?
How much are you prepared to spend to start on your wildlife adventure?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
MattyH
Posted 11/06/2014 - 22:53 Link
davidstorm wrote:
MattyH wrote:
Thanks David also, now what do I do?
How much are you prepared to spend to start on your wildlife adventure?

Regards
David
Ha ha, as little as possible, I suppose I thought I could budget around the £600-£700 mark, as this was my sigma 18-35mm f1.8 money, but that's a lens I want and not need.

I saw the cash back deal on the 150-500mm and that fits in nicely within budget, but then I also budgeted for a stronger tripod/monopod.

If I go and buy used then yet again that would be a even bigger help.
Edited by MattyH: 11/06/2014 - 22:55
fritzthedog
Posted 12/06/2014 - 08:48 Link
Just to give a view on the Sigma 120-400 Vs the 150-500 as this appears to be one of the choices being considered - I own and use both.

I started with the 120-400 and bought the 150-500 for the extra reach intending to sell the 120-400.

If pushed to venture an opinion - in many respects, I prefer the 120-400. It is slightly faster, and much more comfortable to hand hold for long periods than the 150-500 and more versatile. Until my recent purchase of a Tamron 70-200 2.8 - the 120-400 was also my weapon of choice for candid street/ event shots and performs very well in those environments.

The only downside of the 400 Vs 500 is the shorter reach but in use - I tend to find that shots that are too long for the 120-400 are also more often than not too long for the 150-500 to perform well with either.

Although wildlife and particularly birds are something I photograph fairly frequently - I am by no means an expert in this area and some of the other members who have posted opinions produce much better wildlife images than I.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo