Adobe releases subscription-only Photoshop CC

woodworm

Link Posted 21/06/2013 - 11:34
cabstar wrote:

lets be honest here the only reason people are unhappy is because the most pirated software in the world will no longer be pirated. The hackers may have found a workaround yesterday, but this wont be so in the future. I am pleased with this and as creatives we should back companies that find ways to stop their business being destroyed by infringement. This will result in mire r and d by adobe and a better product for the future that we can all enjoy.

With respect that is just wrong - this will do nothing at all to even slow down piracy, I think the only way to stop piracy completely is to make it a 100% cloud based application, which may happen in many years ...

I've already mentioned, but amateurs like us are not Adobe's main user base for the CS Suite and professionals will not want to spend the time, money and risk on migrating to a new system, that will probably cost more than the software to start with.

There are 2 issues with the new policy - 1 Cost, 2 Tie In. If you are a pro then you probably upgrade every year regardless and therefore won't see as big an increase in cost as someone that used to skip versions. Pro's don't care about being tied in as I've already said, they would rather stay with what they know.

If Adobe do increase profits from this then it's very hard to argue it's not the correct decision. If they don't then maybe it will revert back.

gartmore

Link Posted 21/06/2013 - 12:47
Well I have just subscribed to it, fortunately I can get the academic rate and £15 a month seems pretty reasonable especially bearing in mind that it isnt just PS you get.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

tyronet2000

Link Posted 21/06/2013 - 13:28
gartmore wrote:
Well I have just subscribed to it, fortunately I can get the academic rate and £15 a month seems pretty reasonable especially bearing in mind that it isnt just PS you get.

Mrs Snap was wondering if there was an 'Old Git' rate I should apply for
Regards
Stan

PPG

gartmore

Link Posted 21/06/2013 - 13:32
If you are studying on an approved 'Old Git' course at an FE college such as an HNC in Old Gittery then you would get the student and teacher rate too.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

cabstar

Link Posted 21/06/2013 - 13:53
I can get the student rate too its worth mentioning if you have school aged children then they also qualify for student rate too
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

cabstar

Link Posted 21/06/2013 - 14:00
woodworm wrote:
cabstar wrote:

lets be honest here the only reason people are unhappy is because the most pirated software in the world will no longer be pirated. The hackers may have found a workaround yesterday, but this wont be so in the future. I am pleased with this and as creatives we should back companies that find ways to stop their business being destroyed by infringement. This will result in mire r and d by adobe and a better product for the future that we can all enjoy.

With respect that is just wrong - this will do nothing at all to even slow down piracy, I think the only way to stop piracy completely is to make it a 100% cloud based application, which may happen in many years ...

I've already mentioned, but amateurs like us are not Adobe's main user base for the CS Suite and professionals will not want to spend the time, money and risk on migrating to a new system, that will probably cost more than the software to start with.

There are 2 issues with the new policy - 1 Cost, 2 Tie In. If you are a pro then you probably upgrade every year regardless and therefore won't see as big an increase in cost as someone that used to skip versions. Pro's don't care about being tied in as I've already said, they would rather stay with what they know.

If Adobe do increase profits from this then it's very hard to argue it's not the correct decision. If they don't then maybe it will revert back.

Why is this wrong? Do you doubt a subscription method will not stop piracy? Sky used to have a problem with chipped cards and their technology department soon found ways to stop that.

I also dont get what you mean about the cost and the tie in, if you pay the full £600ish for PS then surely that is a huge investment and tie in, also with the subscription methid there is never any worry about future upgrade costs. I still think Adobe are right to do this to protect their business and their goods, its like complaining about having security guards at the front of Tesco, we all know why they are there.

I also dont get the migration issue here either, soinstead of paying up front i pay monthly and download the software and run it, hardly much of a migration is it?

woodworm

Link Posted 21/06/2013 - 14:16
It won't stop piracy as you still have to download the software and install it locally on your PC. It won't take people long to work how to stop it 'phoning home' once a month to stop it from being disabled, as already mentioned, it's been cracked already so no, it won't stop piracy.

Just to be clear - I could download the trial version of Photoshop this afternoon, and apply a simple 'fix' to stop it timing out after 30 days. Adobe have done nothing to address this as of yet.

I probably didn't explain my migration point very clearly, but I was agreeing with you in that I do not believe people will migrate to something else, they will just subscribe and continue with what they have. I was replying to suggestions that people will be leaving Adobe in large numbers, which won't be happening.

edit - I should have asked you why you think the subscription licensing model will stop piracy?
Last Edited by woodworm on 21/06/2013 - 14:29

cabstar

Link Posted 21/06/2013 - 15:53
woodworm wrote:

edit - I should have asked you why you think the subscription licensing model will stop piracy?

At the moment its easy to download and hack the PS file, a subscription method requires a monthly check online. It will be this online check which will stop pirate copies working. As Adobe works on this then the encryption and methods to circumnavigate will get tighter as with Sky cards years ago. I think this is the main reason to go subscription to switch off all those pirate copies circulating.

I don't think there will be a time out limit I think once the check come backs as a fail then Adobe will be able to deactivate the software on the computer.

Eventually people will get bored trying to circumnavigate it every month.
Concert photography

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 21/06/2013 - 17:12
Well, I'm glad I have my CD copy. Monthly online activation sounds a bit of a faff. For business users with always-on internet connections it makes sense. I don't know what you do if you have to go 'off grid' for a bit and your monthly subscription comes up. (Actually there probably is a way of paying two months ahead if you know this will happen in advance).
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

cabstar

Link Posted 21/06/2013 - 17:24
I think the monthly check will happen in the background, you won't even know about it.

Your subscription I guess will be an auto payment every month via debit or credit card.
Concert photography

JAK

Link Posted 21/06/2013 - 17:24
Pentaxophile wrote:
For business users with always-on internet connections it makes sense.

Probably not for a film crew in the middle of the Amazon rainforest or the first settlers on Mars.

John K
John K

Smeggypants

Link Posted 21/06/2013 - 17:39
cabstar wrote:
woodworm wrote:

At the moment its easy to download and hack the PS file, a subscription method requires a monthly check online. It will be this online check which will stop pirate copies working. As Adobe works on this then the encryption and methods to circumnavigate will get tighter as with Sky cards years ago. I think this is the main reason to go subscription to switch off all those pirate copies circulating.

I don't think there will be a time out limit I think once the check come backs as a fail then Adobe will be able to deactivate the software on the computer.

I think you're misunderstanding the way pirate copies work.

The online check is switched off in the pirate copy, just as the code in programs that use Hardware dongle keys is switched off.

The Current subscription only PS CC copy has been hacked within a day. When Adobe released the next version of the subscription onyl copy that too will be hacked very shortly.

A said a true cloud based program might be the way forward to avoid piracy but that will never happen. Online access will ALWAYS A huge magnitude slower than local access
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

JAK

Link Posted 21/06/2013 - 18:13
There actually is a free online photo editor : http://pixlr.com

Looks very much like an PS Elements clone and it works OK.

John K
John K

Smeggypants

Link Posted 21/06/2013 - 20:36
JAK wrote:
Pentaxophile wrote:
For business users with always-on internet connections it makes sense.

Probably not for a film crew in the middle of the Amazon rainforest or the first settlers on Mars.

John K

You can be sure the first settlers on Mars will have an internet connection.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

gwing

Link Posted 21/06/2013 - 21:11
Smeggypants wrote:
cabstar wrote:
Quote:

I think you're misunderstanding the way pirate copies work.

The online check is switched off in the pirate copy, just as the code in programs that use Hardware dongle keys is switched off.

The Current subscription only PS CC copy has been hacked within a day. When Adobe released the next version of the subscription onyl copy that too will be hacked very shortly.

Probably true, it really should be possible to make cracking the programs much harder but Adobe's attempts at copy protection have to date been laughably pitiful.

Actually I suspect it is part of their business model as really anyone should be able to protect it better than that. If they can get everyone who is a legitimate target purchaser of the software purchasing it then all the extra pirate copies run by hobbyists are just zero cost advertising and a potential market if users used to Photoshop etc. and wanting to use it as their tool when/if they ever make it to a professional post.

Quote:

A said a true cloud based program might be the way forward to avoid piracy but that will never happen. Online access will ALWAYS A huge magnitude slower than local access

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.