Adobe releases subscription-only Photoshop CC

DrOrloff

Link Posted 19/06/2013 - 20:56
If you still need to download and install it I don't understand what the difference is. The program files will be equally replicable so how would it reduce piracy? What have I missed?
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

Algernon

Link Posted 19/06/2013 - 21:01
Don't forget that you have to DL it all if you lose it
locally That's after you've spent a few days
fixing your PC
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

cabstar

Link Posted 19/06/2013 - 21:53
DrOrloff wrote:
If you still need to download and install it I don't understand what the difference is. The program files will be equally replicable so how would it reduce piracy? What have I missed?

Possibly once a week the program will check your subscription level.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

FAT8BIKER

Link Posted 19/06/2013 - 21:59
According to the latest Digital Photo, if you stop your monthly sub you will not be able to open files as you will not have photoshop any more.
So will some body please tell me how this will happen if it is down loaded on your PC.
the real headache will come when you buy a new camera and your old copy of photoshop will not open the RAW FILES., short and curly comes to mind.
Cheers
Dave
Wrote this before seeing Cabstar comments.
just take the PC off line.
Cheers
Dave
Last Edited by FAT8BIKER on 19/06/2013 - 22:02

cabstar

Link Posted 19/06/2013 - 22:06
It will need to be online to check your subs before opening PS.

You will still be ableto view your files locally just not through PS and you have just noted why the ado e plan will work. Nearly every dslr shooter at some point will replace there dslr hence requiring a PS subscription.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Smeggypants

Link Posted 19/06/2013 - 22:31
cabstar wrote:
DrOrloff wrote:

Possibly once a week the program will check your subscription level.

Checks every 30 days according to Adobe. It won't reduce piracy though as the pirate copy will simply have the routines required to online authorise disabled.

If anything it will increase piracy as the pirate version will be more like the legitimate non-rent enslavement version and once installed will continue working regardless.

Needless to say this subscription model continues to be highly unpopular in all quarters and as side from increase pirate copies of Adobe products it will also increase sales of Competitors products.

In the past competitors like Corel haven't bothered to try and keep with PS. Now they have a good opportunity to create a non-enslavement program which can rival PS in quality. There's certainly a lot of ex-Adobe customers eager for a replacement now.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

johnwhit

Link Posted 20/06/2013 - 08:54
FAT8BIKER wrote:
the real headache will come when you buy a new camera and your old copy of photoshop will not open the RAW FILES., short and curly comes to mind.
Dave

There's a solution to that too:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/06/17/MetaRaw-offers-expanded-Raw-support-for-...

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

RussV

Link Posted 20/06/2013 - 11:51
The beginning of the end for Adobe. Apparently they expect to triple their revenues in the next few years but polls of Creative Suite users indicate a severe reluctance by many to upgrade.

Adobe seem intent on extracting very last penny they can from loyal customers and I don't mean 'Elements' users but professionals. Today I had to try and resolve an InDesign issue at work but the problem as I discovered on the web was incompatibilty issues between versions, even betwen 5 and 5.5.

I see a lot of people sticking to their current versions, software hacks being developed other and products moving in to fill the gap. Adobe is the indusry standard for various apps but standards aren't set in stone.

(All that said, I don't care because I use Paintshop Pro)
www.russv.me.uk
Last Edited by RussV on 20/06/2013 - 11:55

woodworm

Link Posted 20/06/2013 - 12:10
Maybe a change of heart though there is nothing definite in here ...

Adobe CEO admits need to tweak Cloud Only Policy

Gwyn

Link Posted 20/06/2013 - 16:01
It's already been hacked it seems:link

Smeggypants

Link Posted 20/06/2013 - 19:30
woodworm wrote:
Maybe a change of heart though there is nothing definite in here ...

Adobe CEO admits need to tweak Cloud Only Policy

I can't see a change of heart at all ...

Quote:
"Our decision to discontinue perpetual licensing of new versions of our desktop products has caused concern with some customers," said Narayen.

"While we will still continue to offer CS6 on a perpetual basis, the feedback from our community is important, and we are evaluating additional options that will help them with the transition," he added.

He claimed its "execution" of the Creative Cloud had been "spot on" but admitted it does not yet have a solution.

"We're looking for tweak that would lead to a better customer outcome. We don't have any that we've identified today".

They don't get it. It's the rental enslavement model that is putting the vast majority of Adobe Customers off. Instead of helping people with a 'transition' into something they are dead against they should offer perpetual licenses for the products again.
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..

woodworm

Link Posted 20/06/2013 - 20:46
Yes I agree, I should have probably read the entire article more closely rather than just skimming over it (another 'The Register' headline moment!). It is quite possible they will u-turn if they do receive enough negative feedback, look at the back tracking Microsoft have done recently (Windows 8.1 / XBox).

I'm not against the rental model, it will suit us at work as it will be much easier to get through the budget each year, but this probably doesn't apply to small business. What bothers me more about it is the possible requirement to connect to the internet to confirm it's live 'feature' - these things never work in an enterprise environment (I'm an IT admin that will be getting all the complaints!) - though they can't possibly do a bad a job as Autodesk have with their AutoCAD products (what's a proxy server?).

Whatever happens, Adobe are not going anywhere and the 'this will be the end of Adobe' comments are hyperbole in my opinion.

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 20/06/2013 - 20:58
The new shake reduction filter is a usefull looking thing
I'm only 4fut3, but I look a lot bigger from a distance

Nikon D600, 18-55, 50 F1.8, Sigma 70-200 HSM,180macro.
MZ-7, K-10,K-7, all gripped.
Pentax 35 28-80
Sigma 50 EX Macro.
A sexy little Q with 8.5mm Prime.
And a cup with a gorrila on it, it's also chipped a little, but holds tea perfectly well.

Ranfog Flickr Group
Last Edited by bettyswolloks on 20/06/2013 - 20:58

Smeggypants

Link Posted 20/06/2013 - 21:06
woodworm wrote:
Yes I agree, I should have probably read the entire article more closely rather than just skimming over it (another 'The Register' headline moment!). It is quite possible they will u-turn if they do receive enough negative feedback, look at the back tracking Microsoft have done recently (Windows 8.1 / XBox).

I'm not against the rental model, it will suit us at work as it will be much easier to get through the budget each year, but this probably doesn't apply to small business. What bothers me more about it is the possible requirement to connect to the internet to confirm it's live 'feature' - these things never work in an enterprise environment (I'm an IT admin that will be getting all the complaints!) - though they can't possibly do a bad a job as Autodesk have with their AutoCAD products (what's a proxy server?).

Whatever happens, Adobe are not going anywhere and the 'this will be the end of Adobe' comments are hyperbole in my opinion.

You're right, Adobe isn't going to crash, but it will IMO put more balance into the image software industry. it needs more balance so that Photoshop rivals can gain enough sales for them to be developed to e similar level of features and quality

DrOrloff

Link Posted 20/06/2013 - 21:11
So if I head off to deepest Mongolia for a month and a bit I come back to find PS switched off?
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.