Adjusting iso with K-r
Posted 20/10/2010 - 17:36
Link
...there isn't a manual available yet AFAIK.
The K5 and K7 have an ISO button to press and hold, and additionally one of the wheels can be mapped to ISO.
The K20D, and K10D could be programmed to map the ISO onto a wheel (either front or back)
Whether a quick-ISO-change feature is in the K-r remains to be seen
Matt
The K5 and K7 have an ISO button to press and hold, and additionally one of the wheels can be mapped to ISO.
The K20D, and K10D could be programmed to map the ISO onto a wheel (either front or back)
Whether a quick-ISO-change feature is in the K-r remains to be seen
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 20/10/2010 - 17:40
Link
I actually have the camera and the manual! I just can't figure it out!
Posted 20/10/2010 - 17:48
Link
MattMatic wrote:
The K20D, and K10D could be programmed to map the ISO onto a wheel (either front or back)
Press and holding the OK button and scrolling the front wheel is also a way to change ISO with these cameras.The K20D, and K10D could be programmed to map the ISO onto a wheel (either front or back)
Maybe it also works with the K-r?
Posted 20/10/2010 - 17:50
Link
noidea wrote:
I actually have the camera and the manual! I just can't figure it out!
You are probably the first user on this forum that has the K-R so no one might be able to help you.
I actually have the camera and the manual! I just can't figure it out!
Posted 20/10/2010 - 18:55
Link
Anvh wrote:
Maybe it also works with the K-r?
The K-r doesn't have a front wheel. I think ISO adjustment is, like so many features, only menu based on it.MattMatic wrote:
The K20D, and K10D could be programmed to map the ISO onto a wheel (either front or back)
Press and holding the OK button and scrolling the front wheel is also a way to change ISO with these cameras.The K20D, and K10D could be programmed to map the ISO onto a wheel (either front or back)
Maybe it also works with the K-r?
The K-r page at www.pentaximaging.com offers a live chat option to answer queries. Maybe you could try that. Remember though that they are in Colorado so are on a different time to the UK or Europe.
Congratulations on your new camera btw .
Posted 20/10/2010 - 21:34
Link
Thanks, it's great
Posted 21/10/2010 - 01:03
Link
The design of the K-r appears based on the K-x. You have to use the ISO button on the back. After this you can either use the back dial or the left/right buttons to change the setting.
Posted 21/10/2010 - 13:25
Link
noidea wrote:
Is it possible to adjust iso level on the k-r without going into the menus? Eg canon have an iso button you can hold whilst turning the dial.
Sv mode (then roll the e-Dial thumbwheel) would be another option to the 'ditto K-x' method mentioned.Is it possible to adjust iso level on the k-r without going into the menus? Eg canon have an iso button you can hold whilst turning the dial.
Fwiw: I didn't grasp the point of Sv mode at first with mine but it seems the only way to get those finer resolution ISO adj numbers like 320, 640, 1250, etc.
Seems only Pentax has Sv on their dials too, is that correct?
.R.
Posted 21/10/2010 - 13:39
Link
Hypocorism wrote:
Fwiw: I didn't grasp the point of Sv mode at first with mine but it seems the only way to get those finer resolution ISO adj numbers like 320, 640, 1250, etc.
There are other ways.Fwiw: I didn't grasp the point of Sv mode at first with mine but it seems the only way to get those finer resolution ISO adj numbers like 320, 640, 1250, etc.
in the menu you need to set the EV steps to 1/3th instead of 1/2th and then you can set the ISO steps to match the EV steps.
That way you get ISO 320, 640, 1250 also normally.
Posted 21/10/2010 - 14:15
Link
Anvh wrote:
in the menu you need to set the EV steps to 1/3th instead of 1/2th and then you can set the ISO steps to match the EV steps.
That way you get ISO 320, 640, 1250 also normally.
?? Can you pls explain how?Hypocorism wrote:
Fwiw: I didn't grasp the point of Sv mode at first with mine but it seems the only way to get those finer resolution ISO adj numbers like 320, 640, 1250, etc.
There are other ways.Fwiw: I didn't grasp the point of Sv mode at first with mine but it seems the only way to get those finer resolution ISO adj numbers like 320, 640, 1250, etc.
in the menu you need to set the EV steps to 1/3th instead of 1/2th and then you can set the ISO steps to match the EV steps.
That way you get ISO 320, 640, 1250 also normally.
Some data, In K-x menu:
- EV steps is 1/3 by factory default.
- Sensitivity Steps is 1 EV step by default.
Now with those in effect (and basically 'defaults' state for rest of camera too), and, with top Dial on P, TV, Av, or M, -- the ISO button (Rt cursor), then L-R cursor action only option-toggles back and forth through the 'normal' increments, 200 400 800 1600 3200 6400.
Also Enabling 'Expanded Sensitivity' (Hi ISO) adds 100 and 12800 to those of course. But that's not a default, nor does it alter any of this behaviour.
I find that only in Sv, will both that same ISO button, and the quick e-Dial (thumbwheel), toggle through all the unusual range of ISO numbers.
.R.
Posted 21/10/2010 - 14:18
Link
When hand holding in AV mode, I found it easier (on my K200d) to select 'Auto' in the ISO settings, and let the camera bump up the ISO whenever shutter speeds became too low. I did this because camera shake was a more likely cause of bad images than noise!
The camera was very conservative, avoiding raising the ISO unless absolutely necessary (say at shutter speeds under 1/25), and if the ISO became too high for my taste, I could open up the aperture a bit and make it drop down again. However I limited the Auto ISO to 640 so this was rarely a problem!
On the K-r I would certainly do the same, but I'd limit the Auto ISO to 1600 or something like that.
When you must have the lowest ISO setting, e.g. for long exposures or tripod shots, you can flip back to ISO 200 as described above.
The camera was very conservative, avoiding raising the ISO unless absolutely necessary (say at shutter speeds under 1/25), and if the ISO became too high for my taste, I could open up the aperture a bit and make it drop down again. However I limited the Auto ISO to 640 so this was rarely a problem!
On the K-r I would certainly do the same, but I'd limit the Auto ISO to 1600 or something like that.
When you must have the lowest ISO setting, e.g. for long exposures or tripod shots, you can flip back to ISO 200 as described above.
Posted 21/10/2010 - 14:22
Link
@ Hypocorism
in the Custom menu
1. EV Steps should be set to 2: 1/3 EV
&
2. Sensitivity Steps should be set to 2: As EV Steps
Those are not default settings because the default settings are always #1 as far as i know.
in the Custom menu
1. EV Steps should be set to 2: 1/3 EV
&
2. Sensitivity Steps should be set to 2: As EV Steps
Those are not default settings because the default settings are always #1 as far as i know.
Posted 21/10/2010 - 14:33
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
On the K-r I would certainly do the same, but I'd limit the Auto ISO to 1600 or something like that.
When you must have the lowest ISO setting, e.g. for long exposures or tripod shots, you can flip back to ISO 200 as described above.
Does K-r have option to do that?On the K-r I would certainly do the same, but I'd limit the Auto ISO to 1600 or something like that.
When you must have the lowest ISO setting, e.g. for long exposures or tripod shots, you can flip back to ISO 200 as described above.
K-x only seems to provide option for a Hi ISO start number for when the inbuilt Noise reduction kicks in.
No absolute ISO ceiling in sight (wish it did have though, because I'd wipe out >3200 for same reasons you suggest).
.R.
Posted 21/10/2010 - 14:43
Link
Just been having a play with the K-r in manual mode. I can click iso on the control pad and use the wheel to adjust it, but the iso value is not displayed in the viewfinder so have to pull back and use screen. Not the end of the world but seems an easy feature to have been implemented (you can change shutter and aperture without leaving viewfinder, why not sensitivity given it is third part of exposure equation)
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



15 posts
16 years