A walk with one prime

LennyBloke

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 15:27
I find it quite difficult to go out and about with a single lens unless it's a zoom, so this morning I put one of my old "Hollywood" lenses on the K1 mkII and walked for a couple of hours. Here's a few of the images (click for a bigger image on Flickr)...

1. Sheep on the hills:

2. Shady foxglove:

3. Monochrome leaves:

4. Green woodland:

5. Foxglove detail:

6. St Anes Road:

I find it a difficult lens to use (the lack of an "A" setting is quite restrictive to me) and my reject rate is high, but when I get it right I think it's worthy of its reputation.

Comments and criticisms welcome
LennyBloke

HarisF1

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 15:36
Number 2 demonstrates why this lens is so highly rated. Good contrast and a very clear separation from the background making the plant pop.

pschlute

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 16:18
Great angle on the first and I too like the second. The light shining through the "gloves" is lovely
Peter

My Flickr page

alfpics

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 16:44
Some very nice images. No 2 is very nice, but no 3 is the stand-out one for me. The oof areas and the almost abstract nature of it.
Andy

Daronl

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 17:21
Great set - put a good prime in the hands of an imaginative and competent photographer and thatís what you get, regardless of focal length.

Great work Iíd say, well done
Daronl

Chrism8

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 18:22
Well shot John, #1 for me
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.

Sry

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 22:18
3 & 4 are the ones that leave more to my imagination, so they get my vote. Going out with just one prime is the norm for me (the only times I bring two primes is for shooting live music - which I only do if I know the performers or the venue, and preferably during rehearsals or soundchecks). Even when vacationing I only take my M28/3.5... seems to do everything I need...

derek897

Link Posted 01/07/2019 - 07:49
Cool set, never tried a "Hollywood lens" so cant say much about them, but You have taken some lovely shots with it. 1 and 2 for me.
Good shooting indeed 👏👏👏
I know what i like, If not always why.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 02/07/2019 - 01:14
You can't beat 'old glass'. No.2 is wonderful.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 02/07/2019 - 08:57
I find a walk with a single prime very liberating, though 28mm on FF wouldn't be my choice, too wide.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

LennyBloke

Link Posted 02/07/2019 - 10:14
Thanks for all the comments, it really is a superb lens - although as I mentioned I don't find it that easy to use (fiddly, keep forgetting to "green button" it, etc.).

An outing with a single Prime really does make you work hard (compared to a Zoom or selection of lenses) - I guess most of us are used to visualising an image and will then use the most appropriate focal length to fit that subject, but having a wide when you see a telephoto shot can be quite frustrating. You literally have to change your view, often taking a different angle to make your photo. With a wide your main subject may often become much closer to the lens and thus more dominant that it may have been with other lenses, a telephoto will allow tighter cropping and more emphasis on detail, but the fun of the single Prime is the challenge - you just have to forget the missed opportunities and make new ones

The next outing will be with my Pentax A 100mm f2.8 (non-macro) - I haven't used it for a couple of years (never on Full-frame digital ), but it has always been a real favourite and I suspect it will be a little gem
LennyBloke

Lubbyman

Link Posted 02/07/2019 - 13:48
For those of use who don't know what a "Hollywood lens" is, can someone explain please.

Didn't want to ask earlier in the thread, I thought the answer might emerge, but it hasn't. Does it make the average ageing British male look like a film star?

Thanks

Steve

JAK

Link Posted 02/07/2019 - 14:12
I'm not sure what lens this is either. I've always thought the Hollywood lens was a 28mm based on the Zeiss design. But these images are reporting that the focal length has been manually entered as 200mm.
John K

Algernon

Link Posted 02/07/2019 - 14:14
See here.....

http://forum.mflenses.com/poor-mans-zeiss-distagon-28mm-f-2-hollywood-t16851.htm...
and
http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Pentax_28_2_M/00_pag.htm
--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

LennyBloke

Link Posted 02/07/2019 - 14:39
Apologies to JAK and Lubbyman

Steve (and Others...)
I did mean to add the explanation of the "Hollywood" - it's real name is the "SMC Pentax 28mm F2" and was the result of a venture between Zeiss and Asahi Pentax in the mid 1970's with a Zeiss T* and an SMC version being produced. I've read a few variants of the story behind the development, with several key features often mentioned:
The designer is Dr Erhard Glatzel who was responsible for the Apollo mission medium format Distagons used by NASA and the 50mm Planar F0.7 used by the legendary film maker Stanley Kubrick on Barry Lydon.
The 28mm f2 design contains a floating element to allow better performance at close distances and the Pentax versions were assembled in Japan.
The short lived partnership between Zeiss and Asahi Pentax (approx 1 year) was supposedly to look at the potential to exploit cheaper manufacturing cost found in Asia, and to improve Zeiss famous T* coatings. Another lens that was a result of the partnership was the 15mm f3.5 which has it's own story (featuring undeclared changes in significant parts of the optical design).
The lens was produced between 1976 and 1981 in two versions that were optically identical but with slightly different name designations.

John
You are correct - it is reporting on Flickr as a 200mm lens - but it is definitely the K28/2.0! Either I have dialled in the wrong setting on the camera when I mounted the lens (very likely as I was using the 200 Macro the day before) or Flickr is mis-reporting

....and I've just seen the helpful post from Algi on the history - Cheers
LennyBloke
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.