Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

A touch of pink.

Malo1961
Posted 30/06/2009 - 20:19 Link
Have been fiddling in my garden, this afternoon. Liked the idea of one flower against the backdrop of yellow.
The wind wasn't helping and a tripod was no option. I think I got lucky with this one. C & C more than welcome as usual.

Comment Image

K10D with DA 50-200.(at 125 mm) 1/30 sec at F 6,3 ISO 100. Hand-held, SR on.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
Father Ted
Posted 30/06/2009 - 20:22 Link
Dare I say it...I find the Bokeh distracting

Sorry, couldn't resist
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Malo1961
Posted 30/06/2009 - 20:27 Link
Bokeh?? Please explain Seriously.....I tried to avoid that word.
If this turns out in another B**** discussion, I'll sell my gear and join the Canon crew

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

TonyM
Posted 30/06/2009 - 20:33 Link
Personally, I would have upped the contrast a bit with curves (or whatever) to bring out the pink/green and cloned out the cobwebs (which I find distracting!) The yellow background works, but maybe a change of position so that the other green plant to the left was out of shot?
Father Ted
Posted 30/06/2009 - 20:36 Link
Malo1961 wrote:

Oops...sorry
Quote:

If this turns out in another B**** discussion, I'll sell my gear and join the Canon crew

Martin.

We won't let you do that

Seriously, though. I agree with Tony, I'd have cloned the cobweb out. And, joking aside about the background, I also find the bottom right hand corner distracting. I think I'd have cropped it above the darker area. (IMHO)

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
titchgamer
Posted 30/06/2009 - 21:02 Link
Although I agree the bottom corner is distracting, I don't agree with the cobweb.
I think it adds to the picture a bit and if you took this hand held to get that sorta detail you must have the hands of a hunter martin!!

Beter than me ne ways
Lil Andy

K20D, PENTAX DA 18-55, TAMRON DI 70-300, PENTAX SMC-K 135 f2.5

www.ajohnson-photography.co.uk
mikew
Posted 30/06/2009 - 21:18 Link
Malo1961 wrote:

Martin.

Leica, go for Leica and get some real Bokeh. I'm sure a man of your means can do it

Surprisingly I find that composition a bit off. It feels unbalanced but not in a good tension creating way just a tall and spindly way and the bit of pink at the bottom doesn't seem to help. Perhaps it needs more space at the top for the flower to reach into?

Lovely colours, focus and detail.

I agree about the steady hand. I'd have used a tripod come what may for a shot like this.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
paullucas
Posted 30/06/2009 - 21:22 Link
Malo1961 wrote:
Martin.

This word "Bokeh" is annoying me soooo much. No offence to any of you guys and gals that use it but is it really needed.

Anyway, I would keep the cobweb as it is a natural part of the picture and I personally don't like altering an image unless it's really needed.
I do like cropping though and I think I slight crop about a 3rd of the way down from the leaf would benefit this image. The stalk does look very good but the bottom of the image does look a tad distracting.

Apart from that, nice shot of a delicate flower

Paul
Malo1961
Posted 30/06/2009 - 21:23 Link
Ok, after some editing maybe this is a bit better.

Comment Image

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

paullucas
Posted 30/06/2009 - 21:25 Link
I like the crop but not the cobweb being taken out

Just don't like mucking around with a good shot if it's not needed

Paul
Father Ted
Posted 30/06/2009 - 21:28 Link
paullucas wrote:

This word "Bokeh" is annoying me soooo much. No offence to any of you guys and gals that use it but is it really needed.

Sorry, bit of a joke regarding another thread

Father Ted
Posted 30/06/2009 - 21:29 Link
I do like this crop. Which just goes to show what I know, because I would have cropped it across the bottom, not up the right hand side

Malo1961
Posted 30/06/2009 - 21:31 Link
I tend to agree Paul. Not decided on the cobweb yet. Still got the original
so I can always revert back. Thanks for all the input so far.

@ Mikew:
Quote:
Leica, go for Leica and get some real Bokeh. I'm sure a man of your means can do it

Where did you get that idea ??

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Edited by Malo1961: 30/06/2009 - 21:32
mikew
Posted 30/06/2009 - 21:39 Link
Malo1961 wrote:

Quote:

Where did you get that idea ??

Martin.

Flattery and I can see you invest heavily in stylish clothes from your avatar which can't be cheap.

I worked out what a switch to Leica would cost me a minimum of £8,000 and even then I'm not convinced it would be better than what I have as there's a whole load of issues over IR filters or something.

I'd hope the lenses would be better and I know I'd like to go back to a rangefinder but I don't think their cameras are as simple as they once were. Not small either. While the K10D isn't that big or heavy and is pretty simple to use.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Malo1961
Posted 30/06/2009 - 21:52 Link
If I had the money to spend on Leica Digital and a set of lenses I wouldn't buy it.
I have had my fun with Leica's (M4P and M5) But rangefinders and my eye's don't mix that good any more. If digital hadn't take over I would have gone the Mamiya 7 route.

But....money no issue, I'll opt for this baby, if you don't mind.

Well, one can dream.......right?
Best regards,

Martin.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.