Pentax K1ii, K3, K-m & MX-1.
Pentax LX, MX, ME Super & MV.
"Old Skool" with the new!

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 25/12/2013 - 12:17
Very Nice

johnriley

Link Posted 25/12/2013 - 14:42
Looks good to me. I always wanted a black MX, but couldn't afford the extra at the time. Now the black MX-1 does very nicely!
Best regards, John

co049

Link Posted 25/12/2013 - 15:40
I could not afford a black MX either John, it was all I could do to scrape 1/2 the cost of the silver MX from my milk round and selling my bike. My mum and dad had said they would match the rest as a Christmas present, I think the MX cost 160 back then!

I did wonder wether to get a silver MX-1 to match but I do like the black MXs, but I'd never part with the original one

Chris
Chris,

Last Edited by co049 on 25/12/2013 - 15:40

McGregNi

Link Posted 25/12/2013 - 16:06
Seeing that beautiful old MX is nearly enough to tempt me back to 35mm ... probably not, but it does make me regret that I didn't use Pentax in earlier days

Its the build and feel of the old stuff that is so special - my 2 1980's lenses (an 'A' prime & an 'M' zoom) are always such a pleasure to use, and they both appear to have never been out of their boxes - I was lucky there. The finish is clearly of such quality, and it looks like the cameras were the same.

It will be interesting to see how long this trend towards 'retro' new digital versions of old camera styles continues. It will I think if its not just restricted to looks - the build and solid feel that is valued from the older items would be key to it lasting. I'm sure many here would enjoy 'retro' versions of lenses for example - the new AF, coatings etc within the solid & quality constructed bodies of the 70's & 80's.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

johnriley

Link Posted 25/12/2013 - 16:16
The Limited lenses are sort of retro designs anyway, with their cut outs for the distance scale, metal construction and aperture rings.
Best regards, John

swarf

Link Posted 25/12/2013 - 16:26
I couldn't afford an MX at the time, so I bought the "cheap" package (still not cheap relatively when compared to the prices of cameras today, but all I could afford at the time!) of an ME and a 40mm f2.8 "pancake" - I still have both.

The build quality of the ME is outstanding - if you haven't handled one, or better still an MX, just find one and pick it up; they just ooze quality engineering.

This ability to engender a quality feel into their cameras is something that I think that Pentax excel at when compared to most of their competitors (with the possible exception of Olympus which also have it).

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

co049

Link Posted 25/12/2013 - 16:58
I still enjoy 35mm along side digital, the build and feel of Pentax 35mm cameras is special, instinctive natural to use. I would like the digital bodies to have a shutter speed dial, but that is me being "old Skool" .

I'm looking to up grade my K-r next year, one reason is the a better shutter speed / aperture indication of the K5 / K3 series in AV / TV mode.
Chris,

McGregNi

Link Posted 25/12/2013 - 17:22
You'll certainly enjoy the upgrade - the amazing flexibility of the auto-exposure controls (using both front and rear e-dials), allowing instant access to each 'priority', along with the ability to customize the use of both e-dials, gives Pentax an edge I believe.

I guess you're talking about a dedicated shutter speed dial, like a mode dial on the top plate? I can see how these would have been very quick and intuitive to use, coupled with the aperture ring around the lens. You'd have had to read off the meter in the viewfinder wouldn't you, so you wouldn't be looking at the dials all the time - not dissimilar to what we have now where you can either check the meter and exposure compensation in the viewfinder, or on the rear LCD - clearly more flexible.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 25/12/2013 - 19:24
What a charming picture.
Has there ever been a better looking camera than the original MX with a standard lens?
Just imagine Pentax making a retro digital version like Nikon's Df...
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

davidtrout

Link Posted 28/12/2013 - 10:11
bwlchmawr wrote:
What a charming picture.
Has there ever been a better looking camera than the original MX with a standard lens?

I totally agree with Andrew. The original MX was a beaut. I had a Spotmatic but when I saw the MX for the first time I just had to have one. I then found it was also perfection to handle and operate.
I wish I still had it.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 28/12/2013 - 10:12

MattyH

Link Posted 28/12/2013 - 12:49
davidtrout wrote:
bwlchmawr wrote:
What a charming picture.

I totally agree with Andrew. The original MX was a beaut. I had a Spotmatic but when I saw the MX for the first time I just had to have one. I then found it was also perfection to handle and operate.
I wish I still had it.
David

+1, I do think when they made the MX, Pentax reached its perfection that hasn't been seen since.

co049

Link Posted 28/12/2013 - 22:01
MattyH wrote:
davidtrout wrote:
Quote:
What a charming picture.

I wish I still had it.
David

+1, I do think when they made the MX, Pentax reached its perfection that hasn't been seen since.

+1
Chris,

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.