A Comment on commenting

DanielH

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 10:52
Just some thoughts.

Ive nearly given up posting pictures to this forum several times and the reason? negative feedback?technical issues? personalities? nope. The reason is very little or no feedback. Sometimes I think we all forget what an investment of time, effort and learning can go into a single image. Often I find that what slips through the net are not the very good images or the very bad ones! its the ones that are in the middle, and to be honest I think thats where 80% of images on here are, certainly mine.

I know that I am as guilty as anyone of quickly browsing without bothering to comment but in reality all it takes is seconds, we dont have to come up with any amazing pointers, often a little encouragement is all it takes.

Im sure we have all gone out to take pictures and spent hours agonising over PP only to post a pic and have 0 feedback! how does that feel?
Im not trying to send us on a guilt trip, just remember your own investment in your hobby or profession and try to leave a little something on every image you view. If we all did that imagine the impact we could have

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Daniel.

McGregNi

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 11:19
Fair points. I think more people though are probably put off at the prospect of getting a critical onslaught, and loads of suggestions to do things that would not be possible or weren't feasible unless you were able to mount a professionally prepared expedition specifically for the purpose.

Personally, I'm not worried about this - I'd rather hear it all and take it on board for future. We all know that in many cases the logical response can only be ' yeah, good idea, .. but..' Over time though, these things can add up and we can try to apply them when the opportunity turns up.

Sometimes the photographer can help though - I've seen many posts where the photos are thrown up with little or no background to the shoot, the equipment or settings used for example - all these things can provide other people with a springboard to respond, even if its just recognition of a location or lens used - this will often prompt further critical comments as well. So we an all help out by providing interesting context to the photos themselves. Even if something is an obvious issue, it could be flagged up initially as a question for others ideas.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 20/11/2013 - 11:19

johnriley

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 11:23
probably the reason people post images varies, but I do it to share something/anything that takes my fancy. I shoot a lot of images and go to a lot of places, the two things are intertwined.

Feedback is great, lack of feedback perhaps means no-one has anything salient to add. The number of views is a good indicator of how interested or otherwise we all are.

But you're right Daniel, we should pay more attention, but we can't reply to a thread just for the sake of it.
Best regards, John

vic cross

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 13:07
DanielH. I've posted pics I thought were OK and had good, and bad, C&C. I've also posted my first attempts at something new and had good, and bad, feedback. All accepted in the spirit it was given and learned from. There are people like me who don't feel we are good enough to give others C&C but sometimes say if we like something or not.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 13:22
johnriley wrote:
probably the reason people post images varies, but I do it to share something/anything that takes my fancy. I shoot a lot of images and go to a lot of places, the two things are intertwined.

Feedback is great, lack of feedback perhaps means no-one has anything salient to add. The number of views is a good indicator of how interested or otherwise we all are.

But you're right Daniel, we should pay more attention, but we can't reply to a thread just for the sake of it.

+1

And sometimes an image is a bit boring or commonplace, albeit with nothing overtly wrong with it, that we don't really have anything to add. A lack of comments in itself ought to tell you something.

If you really want comments/C&C the best way is to start a thread in Your Photos... if you don't get much of a response it would probably be OK to bump the thread until you do. People are less forthcoming in the gallery since there's an expectation that people are posting work they are particularly happy with, so the prevailing attitude seems to be if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all (unless it's just a minor suggestion)....
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 20/11/2013 - 13:26

bforbes

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 13:33
vic cross wrote:
There are people like me who don't feel we are good enough to give others C&C but sometimes say if we like something or not.
CHEERS Vic.

+1, especially if it's a genre I don't shoot.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

McGregNi

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 13:46
But everyone's ideas and responses are valid and worthwhile - we're all photographers and use Pentax - that is qualification enough to comment on any photo and equipment aspect also. Sometimes comments might be limited to just a certain aspect of a shot.

For example, I might suggest a touch of 'low contrast', or mention some colour noise, and I might have a suggestion for how it could be dealt with. Saying this does not imply that I rank myself equally or above the photographer in question, or that I even could have got the shot if I had the opportunity. It just means I have seen something similar in my own shots and have an effective remedy, and I feel it could be applied to and help the shot in question.

I believe that most photographers here, even the most experienced, do appreciate that input.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

walkeja

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 13:50
I've just added a post, no comments yet! Back to the dawing board.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Last Edited by walkeja on 20/11/2013 - 13:50

McGregNi

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 13:58
walkeja wrote:
I've just added a post, no comments yet! Back to the dawing board.

Thats kind of an example of the sort of post that might not draw a lot of attention. Your HMS Victory shot is perfectly OK of course, but the way its presented and the intro comments don't really draw out critical comment, either artistically or technically, because the assumption is that it was a 'record-type' capture of something you visited. You only talk about the boat itself, not about the capture process or equipment aspects, so critical analysis doesn't appear to be your priority.

I'm not inclined to pass critical comments on framing, exposure etc because it doesn't seem appropriate in the context, if you know what I mean.
Last Edited by McGregNi on 20/11/2013 - 14:05

walkeja

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 14:26
I've come to the conclusion that a sense of humour is severely lacking on this forum!
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

bforbes

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 14:28
walkeja wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that a sense of humour is severely lacking on this forum!

No, I don't think that's true. Look at all the funny folk that post
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

vic cross

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 14:39
walkeja wrote:

You're JOKING
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

wvbarnes

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 16:00
My daughter Zoe often says 'you're not funny Dad'

I do think it's funny that some people think owning thirty or forty lenses make them better photographers.

It is more odd than funny that some people judge photos or the kit they were taken with based on a 800 pixel jpeg reduced to 96 or 72 dots per inch.

It's also funny that we spend so much time on here. Must be nothing on the telly eh?

It's not funny that I nearly bought a 35mm DA Ltd on here today and then the wife came home...Please stop posting these things guys!

Fletcher8

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 16:14
DanielH

I hope this may be of service. People may not comment about images for various reasons, they may feel they have nothing to offer in terms of feedback or constructive criticism. When someone asks a specific question in relation to an image they have posted they are more liable to receive feedback.

I will be honest, when I log on to Pentax User and see the initial home page and the most recent 10 images I only click on them if they interest me or I can't make out what the image is. If the there is a question linked to an image I try to answer it or provide my point of view. However, if i don't click on an image it will never get any feedback.

As photographers we all want people to look at our work and efforts, some people will some people won't. Some will provide feedback some won't.

I will try and make more of an effort to look at more images and leave comments and feedback as I think you raise a valid point.
Fletcher8.

McGregNi

Link Posted 20/11/2013 - 16:26
There's plenty of humour all over the forum. The point I made about the HMS Victory shot was that the way it was presented and the photographers comments (which were limited to witty remarks about the subject) did not invite critical comment on the creative or technical elements.

It is these aspects of photography that most interest me, so whilst I can enjoy the humour, I'm less likely to join in on this occasion. If the photographer had reported that they had chosen (for example) 'HDR normal mode, f11 @ 1/60sec, -0.7 EC to retain highlight detail .... etc etc' then that would likely provoke a critical response, focusing on the effectiveness or otherwise of the chosen settings, and of course debate about alternatives.
Last Edited by McGregNi on 20/11/2013 - 16:27
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.