67II worth buying?
Posted 10/03/2012 - 05:58
Link
johnha wrote:
Hi Bjorn,
Looks like you've got some great kit there. My preference is for colour transparency film because they're big enough to view direcly on a lightbox (and because prints are expensive). I think they scan better than negatives too.
MF is great to slow down your photography, just be careful not to take too much kit out with you to the point where you get too tired to think about your photography. I've dragged a heavy bag on one shoulder, tripod on the other to the point where I'd just lost interest. Camera, one lens, tripod and film is all you sometimes need.
Getting used to the film handling is important, and unil you're confident, you may want to consider finding somewhere sheltered to change rolls.
And don't forget to share some of your shots.
John.
John.
Thank you, the Pentax 67ii kit I found is really nice. The previous owner, an amateur photographer, bought it new in 2000, and had only taken 30-50 or so rolls of film with it. Hi Bjorn,
Looks like you've got some great kit there. My preference is for colour transparency film because they're big enough to view direcly on a lightbox (and because prints are expensive). I think they scan better than negatives too.
MF is great to slow down your photography, just be careful not to take too much kit out with you to the point where you get too tired to think about your photography. I've dragged a heavy bag on one shoulder, tripod on the other to the point where I'd just lost interest. Camera, one lens, tripod and film is all you sometimes need.
Getting used to the film handling is important, and unil you're confident, you may want to consider finding somewhere sheltered to change rolls.
And don't forget to share some of your shots.
John.
John.
Colour transparency film would be interesting to try out, the only drawback is that not many labs in Norway process them anymore. Most photo shops here send transparency film to Europe for processing. It will probably also be quite a bit more expensive here than colour negative film both to purchase and process. By the way, is there such a thing as a 6x7 slide-projector?
The issue of film handling is one I that am most concerned with. For now I stay close to my car, so I can change film inside the car. Hopefully I will gain more proficiency and become more confident with film handling, so that I dare to change film also outdoors
Bjørn
Posted 10/03/2012 - 07:24
Link
Quote:
By the way, is there such a thing as a 6x7 slide-projector?
Yes and I suspect that if any are still available new then the price will be very high. I would check with a professional dealer or The Widescreen Centre in London to see what is around.By the way, is there such a thing as a 6x7 slide-projector?
Second hand prices could vary from very expensive to someone throwing out perfectly good kit because they don't need/understand what it is.
Best regards, John
Posted 10/03/2012 - 10:44
Link
A friend of mine uses a 6x7 on a regular basis.
Film change.

I keep telling him that the bigger the viewfinder, the better class of woman he will meet.
What's not to like about a 6x7 wearing dark glasses.
link
I may put it down to Aussie attitudes and fine weather........?
Best regards
Film change.

I keep telling him that the bigger the viewfinder, the better class of woman he will meet.
What's not to like about a 6x7 wearing dark glasses.
link
I may put it down to Aussie attitudes and fine weather........?
Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 23/04/2012 - 12:03
Link
BTW if you are going the 67II route, pack a extremely good tripod and remember to lock-up the mirror whenever possible link. The scanned film (the lovely Provia/Velvia come to mind) just doesn't do justice when compared to viewing the same on the light-box with a nice loupe (Schneider 10x or the legendary Mamia 5x). If you want a medium-format that you can hand-hold, give the 645N-II a long thought. There is the lovely bokeh-master 150mm 2.8, ultra sharp 75mm2.8 and plenty others and when you are ready, upgrade to 645D with the same lens set. BTW Hartblei+CZ make some excellent Tilt-shift (Super-Rotator as they call it) for the 645 mount-> link.
Posted 07/09/2012 - 21:22
Link
I have both the Pentax 645NII and Pentax 67II; the 645NII I use everywhere like a 35mm camera or a DSLR and I just spent 3 weeks in Japan with only that camera with great results.
The 67II I use for landscapes mainly because I don't have the same choice in lenses (yet) for this camera and I do feel that it is more comfortable on a sturdy tripod, especially for longer lenses, whereas the Pentax 645NII handles extremely well handheld.
The Pentax 6x7/67/67II cameras look very cool and it can frighten people people just by the noise of the mirror flipping up and the shutter closing, but I think the 645/645N/645NII is probably the most generic of the Pentax medium format cameras (although there is a lot to say for the 6x7cm size of the negatives.)
The 67II I use for landscapes mainly because I don't have the same choice in lenses (yet) for this camera and I do feel that it is more comfortable on a sturdy tripod, especially for longer lenses, whereas the Pentax 645NII handles extremely well handheld.
The Pentax 6x7/67/67II cameras look very cool and it can frighten people people just by the noise of the mirror flipping up and the shutter closing, but I think the 645/645N/645NII is probably the most generic of the Pentax medium format cameras (although there is a lot to say for the 6x7cm size of the negatives.)
Cameras: Pentax 67II / 645NII / K20D / MZ-S / MZ-3 / ME
Gallery: Hans ter Horst Photography
Gallery: Hans ter Horst Photography
Posted 15/04/2014 - 00:14
Link
I am now trying Pentax 67 and wanna try 645 N or 645 Nii just to see difference between them I have to say, I was a little bit frustrate I figure out that frame size is 55x70 (not 60x70). Than I check 645 and there is even smaller
Posted 18/04/2014 - 12:59
Link
The maximum width of image you can get on 120/220 film is 56mm, the 6x7 is something like 56x69, the 645 will be something like 56x42 'across' the film rather than 'along' it. Either way it makes very little difference due to the much bigger formats, but dropping down from 6x7 to 6x4.5 might be a bit underwhelming - handling will be better, faster and more 'compact' though.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1563 posts
16 years