645D review

wadna

Link Posted 14/11/2010 - 06:07
Didja see this? link Makes me want one.

tigershoot

Link Posted 14/11/2010 - 07:42
Nice review for a camera that Pentax can be proud of.
K3ii, K-5, K-x, DA150-450mm, DA16-85WR, DA16-45, DA18-55WR, DA18-135WR, DA35 F2.4, M100mm F4 Macro, DA55-300mm, FA50mm 1.4, AF360 Flash, AF540 Flash

fatspider

Link Posted 14/11/2010 - 08:51
Quote:
To my mind, it is the quality of physical handling when performing core photographic functions -- things real photographers need to do on their cameras while taking real pictures - which separates good cameras from the rest. For instance, something like the ease, or agony, with which a photographer can change the drive mode from single-shot drive mode to self-timer matters to me more than a half-stop of DR. Seriously. This is the stuff that matters. Does the camera drive me crazy whenever I pick it up, or does it become an extension of my hands. Does it facilitate my capturing what I see before me, or get in the way?

The man sounds like a die hard Pentax User
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

davidtrout

Link Posted 14/11/2010 - 08:57
I was talking to Will Cheung yesterday, Saturday, and he raved about the 645D which he has just had to review.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

spirit_of_will

Link Posted 14/11/2010 - 16:03
wadna wrote:
Didja see this? link Makes me want one.

Thanks for posting! I'd been waiting for Luminous to update their 645D review from just a 1st look...

Looks like a cracking camera and exactly the sort of thing that would suit my photography. I still have my 645nII and FA 645 lenses from 33mm through to 300mm. I'd loe to be able to run both alongside each other!

The only thing that I feel is really missing from the 645D system, aside from an Ultra wide-angle lens, is a modern tilt/shift lens.

The question though is where do I find the 9999 needed to buy one!
Spirit_of_will

Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit

WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com

Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook

Anvh

Link Posted 14/11/2010 - 16:48
fatspider wrote:
The man sounds like a die hard Pentax User

maybe but when i read it i didn't got the idea he had ever really used another Pentax DSLR before.
Many features he marvel about were already in the K10D so found it a bit strange he found it so special.

spirit_of_will wrote:
The question though is where do I find the 9999 needed to buy one!

same problem here... maybe we can work together... you know a nice bank to rob?
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

JonSchick

Link Posted 14/11/2010 - 17:25
Haven't read the article yet,but I suspect the answer to Stefan's point may be that there is a world of difference between tbe functionality of an decent dSLR (even one a few years old) and the average MF digital camera- the latter,aside from image quality, being somewhat prehistoric. In my view this is the neat trick that Pentax appear to have pulled off - marrying the IQ of Medium Format with the speed and usability of dSLR (and in a body designed for outdoors rather than studio use). It is currently unique, and they need to get some more lenses out PDQ to encourage as many people as possible to buy into what may well be a system that changes the rules a lot more than people might have thought.

My Sunday rant now over....

Jon
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

Anvh

Link Posted 14/11/2010 - 18:21
Jon, just read the part about Control Layout, he's so in the clouds about that and all i can think... my 4 year old camera has that as well.

This part in particular almost made me believe he lived under a rock or something ^^
The designers, apparently being photographers themselves (gasp!) have programmed the 2-second self-timer mode to automatically lock-up the mirror at the start of the count-down.

I'm sure what you say is the underlaying part why it is so special but is the MF scene really so far behind?
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Smeggypants

Link Posted 14/11/2010 - 18:28
davidtrout wrote:
I was talking to Will Cheung yesterday, Saturday, and he raved about the 645D which he has just had to review.
David

Thought I recognised that name. My best mate's sister Jo is his partner. Small world
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

spirit_of_will

Link Posted 14/11/2010 - 22:39
Anvh wrote:
Jon, just read the part about Control Layout, he's so in the clouds about that and all i can think... my 4 year old camera has that as well.

This part in particular almost made me believe he lived under a rock or something ^^
The designers, apparently being photographers themselves (gasp!) have programmed the 2-second self-timer mode to automatically lock-up the mirror at the start of the count-down.

I'm sure what you say is the underlaying part why it is so special but is the MF scene really so far behind?

Jon is right, for MF Digital, the UI on the 645D (being the same as a K-7) is light years ahead of other MF Dig set-ups. I've been lucky enough to shoot the Blad system and it is at best, clunky to use.

One of the things that I love so much about my 645nII is that it operates pretty much the same as my old MZ-5, same meter, same basic controls etc. To have MF quality matched with K-7 simplicity and functionality is a dream!

EDIT: ...a dream I wish I could afford!
Spirit_of_will

Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit

WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com

Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
Last Edited by spirit_of_will on 14/11/2010 - 22:40
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.