high ISO with K7

montyaus
Posted 23/10/2010 - 02:18 Link
With all the talk about high ISO from KX, KR, also K5,I tried a few shots inside with the K7 manual exposure and ISO set at 3200 - the shots are as good as any I have seen at high ISO`s from any camera.
K5iis,K7,KM, MG, Super A, MZ50.
24f2.8; 28f2.8;31 limited; 35f2; 55f1.8; 135f2.8; 400f5.6:
Some zooms
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/jack" target="_blank">http://c759846.r46.cf2.rackcdn.com/img/black_link.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
Edited by moderator: 25/10/2010 - 08:52
K10D
Posted 23/10/2010 - 02:31 Link
I think its fine. The sort of shot you might need to make when no other light available. I did an exercise at 1600 earlier this year but in bright sunlight, just as a "let's see how they turn out".

link

Hi ISO situations are generally a very very small percentage of the situations in which most people shoot.

I see you also had +0.7 exp comp.

Best regards
Too far from a shore.
montyaus
Posted 23/10/2010 - 02:51 Link
K10 I have looked at your shot at 1600 it is very good.

I done the same thing just for the fun of it didn`t notice the exposure comp,but how or why do thay come out without grain at high ISO`s
K5iis,K7,KM, MG, Super A, MZ50.
24f2.8; 28f2.8;31 limited; 35f2; 55f1.8; 135f2.8; 400f5.6:
Some zooms
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/jack" target="_blank">http://c759846.r46.cf2.rackcdn.com/img/black_link.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
K10D
Posted 23/10/2010 - 02:54 Link
Probably signal to noise ratio?

I'll shoot some later this evening, full moon tonight so I'll be out n about howling.

Had a look at the image, it needed levels doing. I softened and sharpened after levels were touched at the right side.

with pp

Comment Image


slightly different image?

Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Edited by K10D: 23/10/2010 - 03:02
montyaus
Posted 23/10/2010 - 03:03 Link
Good luck we have rain so no chance over here, but I have to try my, or should I say Clarky`s 600 with the 2x

Very much improved,I posted JPEG from the camera with no P&P to see why it has little noise.
K5iis,K7,KM, MG, Super A, MZ50.
24f2.8; 28f2.8;31 limited; 35f2; 55f1.8; 135f2.8; 400f5.6:
Some zooms
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/jack" target="_blank">http://c759846.r46.cf2.rackcdn.com/img/black_link.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
Edited by montyaus: 23/10/2010 - 03:08
K10D
Posted 23/10/2010 - 03:05 Link
montyaus wrote:
Good luck we have rain so no chance over here, but I have to try my, or should I say Clarky`s 600 with the 2x.
and several sand bags to rest it on??????

Best regards
Too far from a shore.
snappychappy
Posted 23/10/2010 - 12:23 Link
Very impressive results from the K7 there that is allegedly bad at high ISO settings, seems very acceptable to me. This is one reason I couldn't justify spending another £400 upgrading to the K5. Good to see the before processing and after shot's thanks fella's
K10D
Posted 23/10/2010 - 12:29 Link
Some from today @ 3200
f/16 3200ISO

Comment Image


f/22 3200 ISO

Comment Image


No noise reduction, just levels and a touch of sharpening.

Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Edited by K10D: 23/10/2010 - 12:31
malvern_man
Posted 27/10/2010 - 19:04 Link
Here are 2 shots I took with my K-7 at Birmingham on Saturday night ( 23rd Oct )

Floodlit track, no flash, ISO 6400

Regards, Chris.


Comment Image


Comment Image
Pentaxophile
Posted 12/11/2010 - 17:45 Link
A few more high ISO K-7 shots, although increasingly these ISOs aren't thought of as 'high' any more
ISO 1250
Comment Image

ISO 1000
Comment Image

ISO 640
Comment Image


To be honest I haven't really needed to go to much higher ISOs than these.
JonSchick
Posted 12/11/2010 - 18:18 Link
My experience is that in reasonable light, high ISOs with the K-7 are perfectly usable - especially if you shoot RAW. In low light, shadow noise can become a problem but if you keep to ISO1600 or below, it's usually fine - especially at normal viewing and print sizes.

People spend too much time obsessing about 100% pixel-level quality when that is of little consequence if what you need is an A4 print, or to look at a photograph on a computer monitor.
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link
Transit
Posted 12/11/2010 - 18:36 Link
My shiny new second hand K-7 is on the courier as we speak. Very happy to see the great shots in this thread
That first stockcar at 6400 is great. Can't wait to take my cam to the speedway !
cheers
Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
Edited by Transit: 12/11/2010 - 18:36
malvern_man
Posted 14/11/2010 - 21:40 Link
A few from Coventry Stadium yesterday ( 13th Nov )

Taken from the back of the grandstand using Sv setting and a 55-300 lens.

ISO 3200

Comment Image


ISO 3200

Comment Image


ISO 4000

Comment Image


ISO 4000

Comment Image

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo