Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

2 from yesterday

cardiffgareth
Posted 14/05/2017 - 09:40 Link
Here are two images I shot yesterday for a couple that wanted images of their 2 and a half year old and their 3 week old baby. I have a load more but the baby was mainly naked on the wooden box / pillow and I'm yet to seek a model release off the couple so sneaked just the two images up!

Camera right was a large window offering diffused daylight and camera left was a Yongnuo 560IV offering fill flash triggered with the 560Tx trigger. All metered with the Polaris Shepherd light meter, camera lens combo was the K3ii and the DA* 16-50mm

Comment Image
Laurashoot-1 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr

Comment Image
LaurashootMono-13 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Mag07
Posted 14/05/2017 - 10:30 Link
I love the first one - the pose, the smile, the colors.

I don't like the sepia on the second. It somehow does not suit the baby's skin. It does not look healthy. Together with the pose, it makes for an awkward combination. The large amount of backdrop distracts from the subject as well. Between the background and the blanky the baby is 'lost'. It's quite possible it looks much better larger though, I find the 1000px forum limit is simply not enough a lot of times. It serves worse photos well, better ones often 'loose out'.

Cheers
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
cardiffgareth
Posted 14/05/2017 - 11:06 Link
Cheers Mag, yeah I see where you're coming from. The baby is mixed race so the skin is dark naturally so making it pop brighter and still look natural is a challenge! We shot a few images closer in also but the customer preferred this image that was further back, horses for courses I suppose!
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Mag07
Posted 14/05/2017 - 12:12 - Helpful Comment Link
If the client is happy, it's a success
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
derek897
Posted 14/05/2017 - 14:28 - Helpful Comment Link
Nice work Gareth, I can only admire this type of work,
I don't think its for me.
Derek
I know what i like, If not always why.
Antony
Posted 14/05/2017 - 17:12 - Helpful Comment Link
I love the second one. Babies are small, the space in the picture emphasises this and the portrait mode with that space above foretells the future growth of the child.
cardiffgareth
Posted 14/05/2017 - 19:57 Link
Thanks all
Gareth Williams ARPS

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
pschlute
Posted 14/05/2017 - 22:07 - Helpful Comment Link
I like both of these. The first has nice even lighting, but what makes it is his priceless expression. The backcloth and props are spot on too.

I personally think the second is superb, the tones bring out just the right amount of detail especially in the wrinkles on the forehead. The towel (dressing gown?) is genius as a prop to both frame and staedy the baby.

I think the framing is ok. If you went for a square format his head would be at the top and look a bit odd.
McGregNi
Posted 15/05/2017 - 08:30 - Helpful Comment Link
Antony wrote:
I love the second one. Babies are small, the space in the picture emphasises this and the portrait mode with that space above foretells the future growth of the child.

Ahhh, insightful critique! I wouldn't have thought of that ... yes, the space does work rather well I think, even just for general compositional reasons.

Interesting that you have mixed ambient and flash Gareth, although I'm just confused by your description ..... it looks like its the flash coming in from the right of the subject as the 'Main' light, and the ambient is the fill ....or have I got it the wrong way round ?

That background is really complimentary, so much better than the horrible bright white ones we often see for this type of photography .... despite being a Dad I really can't stand that typical sort of fancy baby shot .... you know , the ones you see on calendars with a baby wedged into a flowerpot, or those icky 'skin on skin' ones with parents

But I like the supporting nature of the props in the first, which are nothing gimmicky, and you've take the trouble to choose similar colours that go with the skin tones and clothing.

I'm another one who doesn't like the colouring of the 2nd one, with the surrounds seeming to sap away any decent tones in the babies skin .... maybe it shouldn't be full colour, but I think a traditional standard mono look would be better. But the wrap around blanket is a lovely idea and the lighting brings out his little face beautifully
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 15/05/2017 - 08:32
cardiffgareth
Posted 15/05/2017 - 09:43 Link
pschlute wrote:
...The towel (dressing gown?) is genius as a prop ......

Thanks Peter! Last weekend we popped into the Poundshop as I wanted to get some of those neck pillows that you use when you sleep on car journeys. They work a treat for putting into baskets for supporting babies, and when we were there I cam across a nice blue'y grey large throw that was super soft and a snip at £2 so it was ssnapped up!

McGregNi wrote:
Interesting that you have mixed ambient and flash Gareth, although I'm just confused by your description ..... it looks like its the flash coming in from the right of the subject as the 'Main' light, and the ambient is the fill ....or have I got it the wrong way round ?

That background is really complimentary, so much better than the horrible bright white ones we often see for this type of photography .... despite being a Dad I really can't stand that typical sort of fancy baby shot .... you know , the ones you see on calendars with a baby wedged into a flowerpot, or those icky 'skin on skin' ones with parents

But I like the supporting nature of the props in the first, which are nothing gimmicky, and you've take the trouble to choose similar colours that go with the skin tones and clothing.

Thanks Nigel.
No, lighting is as said: flash in softbox to camera left and window light to camera right

Regarding the lighting, I did have with me this backdrop, a grey felt backdrop and also a plain white vinyl as you never quite know what the customer wants and prefers but luckily they opted for the hessian! I'm a lover of finding things on the cheap as all to often we buy brands that inflate the price so thinking outside of the box can produce cheaper alternitives. The backdrop from memory was sourced in Dunelm for under a tenner! As hessian is made of a weaved fabric and has a see through quality when lit, my wife stitched a chocolate brown cheap fabric onto the back to make it less transparent

Bar the backdrop, the most expensive prop there was the faux hair pillow that cost me £6!
Gareth Williams ARPS

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
autumnlight
Posted 15/05/2017 - 17:17 Link
I really like the first one, super lighting and background, i love his natural pose with his cute turned up toes, i have to agree with Mag about the second one though, the baby seems to disappear into the sepia wilderness, maybe a tighter crop, some from the top, but then as you said it's what the parents want that counts.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.