100% view finder


walkeja

Link Posted 18/07/2015 - 12:15
What is meant by a 100%viewfinder on Pentax DSLRs?
I assumed that it meant that what you see in the viewfinder is exactly what you get. Am I right? Pentax says that the K3 has a 100% viewfinder, this is what I saw through it,



This is what I got,



Have I misunderstood the situation or is somebody telling "porkies"?

Apologies if in the wrong forum.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

johnriley

Link Posted 18/07/2015 - 18:04
It means that what the sensor sees is exactly the same as what the viewfinder sees. 100% of what is recorded is shown in the viewfinder.

The magnification at which it is shown is 95%, which means the picture you see is the same but slightly smaller than real life. However, 95% is actually very good indeed and there are many cameras that don't get anywhere near this.
Best regards, John

SteveLedger

Link Posted 18/07/2015 - 22:26
In the case of cameras with IBIS and composition adjustment, the OVF sees what the lens sees, NOT what the sensor sees. Here is where slight differences could occur with the recorded image
Only an EVF displays what the sensor receives.

http://snapsort.com/learn/viewfinder/coverage

johnriley

Link Posted 18/07/2015 - 23:05
I understand the distinction that you are making Steve, but that's not really right either. The lens sees a circular image.

The real point is that what we see in the viewfinder is 100% what we see in the recorded image.
Best regards, John

SteveLedger

Link Posted 18/07/2015 - 23:16
The OVF crops the circular 'image' to represent the area to be recorded.
Last Edited by SteveLedger on 18/07/2015 - 23:17

doingthebobs

Link Posted 19/07/2015 - 08:21
SteveLedger wrote:
The OVF crops the circular 'image' to represent the area to be recorded.

Surely so does the sensor?
Bob

SteveLedger

Link Posted 19/07/2015 - 10:24
The sensor does nothing but 'sense' the light which falls into it's buckets.

gfurm

Link Posted 19/07/2015 - 13:10
I think the OP wants to know why the photo is wider than what he's seen in viewfinder, not technical explanations what is 100% viewfinder.

Bottom photo got more scene on the left side than top photo. If viewfinder is 100% they should be the same. So is it 100% or not then?
Pentax K-3 II, DA 50/1.8, Sigma 18-35/1.8, DA* 300/4, 1.4x HD DA Converter

McGregNi

Link Posted 19/07/2015 - 13:10
The circular image projected from the lens clearly needs to be a little bigger in total area than the sensor and viewfinder image ... Just because of the differing shapes. But, to repeat John's point, a 100% viewfinder displays the total edge to edge image exactly as the sensor records. The .95x magnification means that the perspective effect of the viewfinder image is a little 'set back' from that of the projected focal length.

A 90% viewfinder would not display the actual edges of the sensor recorded image, and whilst cheaper to make, would mean accurate composition around the edges is difficult.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

McGregNi

Link Posted 19/07/2015 - 13:13
gfurm wrote:
I think the OP wants to know why the photo is wider than what he's seen in viewfinder, not technical explanations what is 100% viewfinder.

Bottom photo got more scene on the left side than top photo. If viewfinder is 100% they should be the same. So is it 100% or not then?

We've got two images there, both recorded by the sensor ... So the viewfinder would have showed the same for each. If the images are different then the camera must have moved between them, or zoomed.

Or the first one is a crop of the second one. The first image is not some clever projection of what was actually in the viewfinder, despite the suggestion that we accept it as that.

It is common to not see everything at the edges of a viewfinder ... My suspicion is that the first image here represents what the photographer THOUGHT he was taking ... But he did not notice the extra around the edges in the viewfinder .....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 19/07/2015 - 13:29

walkeja

Link Posted 19/07/2015 - 14:01
McGregNi wrote:
gfurm wrote:
I think the OP wants to know why the photo is wider than what he's seen in viewfinder, not technical explanations what is 100% viewfinder.

Bottom photo got more scene on the left side than top photo. If viewfinder is 100% they should be the same. So is it 100% or not then?

We've got two images there, both recorded by the sensor ... So the viewfinder would have showed the same for each. If the images are different then the camera must have moved between them, or zoomed.

Or the first one is a crop of the second one. The first image is not some clever projection of what was actually in the viewfinder, despite the suggestion that we accept it as that.

It is common to not see everything at the edges of a viewfinder ... My suspicion is that the first image here represents what the photographer THOUGHT he was taking ... But he did not notice the extra around the edges in the viewfinder .....

The first image is what I saw through the viewfinder. The second image is what I got. Obviously I have cropped the first to get the second.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

johnriley

Link Posted 19/07/2015 - 14:16
It's very imprecise though walkeja. You need a much more accurate method of measuting this to establish what you are trying to. A grid with markers on it would be more appropriate.

If you make a mark at the edge of your field of vision through the viewfinder on all four sides and the corners, you should see those marks at the same places in the image you shoot. Needless to say, you would also need to do this on a solid tripod with SR switched off. Using the delayed action would be ideal.
Best regards, John

McGregNi

Link Posted 19/07/2015 - 14:17
And my suggestion, a possibility, is that your re-created cropped version represents what you imagined was in the viewfinder when you framed the image ....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

walkeja

Link Posted 19/07/2015 - 14:31
McGregNi wrote:
And my suggestion, a possibility, is that your re-created cropped version represents what you imagined was in the viewfinder when you framed the image ....

No, I didn't imagine it as I did not want the wind turbine blades in the photo! I zoomed them out, took the photo and hey presto, there they were!
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Last Edited by walkeja on 19/07/2015 - 14:32

McGregNi

Link Posted 19/07/2015 - 14:41
Fair enough ....it's what you believe. The problem you have is proving it. As it stands, it's more logical to assume you just missed that object, took the photo mistakenly, rather than believe that your viewfinder is faulty or not as specified .
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.