Moving from K5 to K3

Harry1969

Link Posted 19/07/2015 - 23:13
I've owned a K5 now for just over 3 years. Overall very pleased with the camera though it could on occasion focus a little faster. Just a few days ago I bought a K3 with 2000 shutter actuations. I haven't had the chance to use it in anger yet but one thing struck me about it immediately, the K5 feels more responsive. Firstly it starts up faster, it seems to me. The other thing I've noticed is that in single shot mode the K5 could shoot as fast as you can press the shutter release but the K3 takes at least half a second between every shot. I've set it to release priority for every focusing mode, I use the back focus button and disabled half-press focusing and have ensured that all lens correction is off. Is this just a feature of the camera or is there a setting I'm missing that's slowing things down. I know I can use motor but I prefer to shoot single shot and on occasion a subject merits rapid shooting, with the K5 I could just rattle off multiple shots in the blink of an eye. I really want to like the K3 but it's annoying me that a camera two generation later should actually not feel like much of an upgrade. Anyone any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Harry.

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 19/07/2015 - 23:26
totally agree mate. tried the K3 a few times but it just doesn't have enough to trump the 5
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/

Snappyhoffy

Link Posted 19/07/2015 - 23:55
Persevere...I too upgraded from K5. Camera is better (but to be fair also upgraded the lens to some DA*)

I find the time it takes to display the pictures on screen is VERY slow so now do not do this automaticity. Give it a go it may allow faster shots.
'Life looks simple through a viewfinder'.....then I went Digital!
Keith
K3, DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300, AF360

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 20/07/2015 - 06:44
Part of this may be moving from one much loved camera to another which is an unknown entity. I was for some time disappointed with the results from my K5 after moving from a K10 but have come to revere its special qualities one of which, as you say, is its blistering speed.

I used mine yesterday for only the second time this year and the lovely quiet shutter, speed of operation and faultless focusing reminded me of how special the camera is.

I'm sure you'll soon get used to your new weapon: most people seem to think it a very good camera.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

truckerathome

Link Posted 20/07/2015 - 08:37
Under the settings C3 try setting number 15 to 2 ... this will let the shutter release work even if the subject is not in focus ( still not sure its as fast as the K5 though)

Martin

wvbarnes

Link Posted 20/07/2015 - 10:03
My late purchase K3 to replace my K5 of three years usage came with firmware 1.18 and now has 1.21 I've not experienced any issue with taking repeated shots in single frame AFS mode. This mainly with 300 Star F4 and tele convertor (which turns off the lens corrections anyway). Indeed everything about the K3 to me says much more powerful screw drive, much quicker AF with SDM and DC motor lenses and much quicker processing. The 30mb write speed limit of the K5 has gone and I understand at least 80mb a second write has been real world tested on the K3. I intend to upgrade my SD cards to UHS-I accordingly this summer. I understand the UHS II isn't yet supported unless the MK II has added this.

percy

Link Posted 20/07/2015 - 13:14
Have you turned off highlight and shadow corrections on the K-3. Having them turned on does slow things up.

Also, don't forget that the file sizes on the K-3 are larger and will take longer to process and write to the card.
Are you using fast enough cards in the K-3?

Harry1969

Link Posted 20/07/2015 - 22:34
percy wrote:
Have you turned off highlight and shadow corrections on the K-3. Having them turned on does slow things up.

Also, don't forget that the file sizes on the K-3 are larger and will take longer to process and write to the card.
Are you using fast enough cards in the K-3?

Both highlight and shadow correction are off and I'm using Integral 16GB UltimaPro X SDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 U3 - 95MB/s SD cards so yes, pretty sure they're fast enough. The search goes on...

Mag07

Link Posted 21/07/2015 - 09:58
On K7 the culprit was lens correction. Highlight/Shadows don't seem to affect the speed, in camera ca correction is.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

McGregNi

Link Posted 21/07/2015 - 11:21
None of those JPEG processing functions slow down the cameras capture rate .....after the buffer is full there will be a delay, but this will only be after a good number of burst Images. The only delay with lens corrections etc is in the display of the processed result on the LCD ...it does not restrict the capture of the shots until the buffer Is full, therefore it should have no impact in single shot mode.

Does the camera shoot quickly in 'continuous' mode (the drive mode .... 4-way controller ?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 21/07/2015 - 11:22

Harry1969

Link Posted 21/07/2015 - 15:37
McGregNi wrote:
None of those JPEG processing functions slow down the cameras capture rate .....after the buffer is full there will be a delay, but this will only be after a good number of burst Images. The only delay with lens corrections etc is in the display of the processed result on the LCD ...it does not restrict the capture of the shots until the buffer Is full, therefore it should have no impact in single shot mode.

Does the camera shoot quickly in 'continuous' mode (the drive mode .... 4-way controller ?

Continuous drive mode works perfectly so it's not like I don't have the ability to shoot rapid bursts, I just liked the K5's capability of doing so without having to stop, switch drive modes and go again.

On a side note I did test out the K3's low light focusing abilities last night. This was always an issue for the K5. The K3 is a massive improvement on that front. It's able to focus on a number plate 200m away at night with no fuss at all. Very impressive.

Starwars50

Link Posted 21/07/2015 - 15:50
I had a K20 for a number of years without any problem eventually I persuaded her indoors that I need to upgrade hence the K3. I have noticed that it is very slow writing the images to the memory card. I started to get an error when viewing the images back " images to large to be displayed" this only occurred if I was shooting images very quickly. I took the error to Pentax who as usual went the usual loop of firmware type of memory used etc. One of the things that came out of it I was using class 10 but you have to be careful of the speed rating as some will have "up to 20 MB per Sec" this can be quite slow if you are shooting in RAW hence I am going to upgrade the cards to SDXC cards which are much faster. currently 7dayshop.com have a 64 GB for 12.99. hope some of this helps. by the way I found out the issue when I looked at the card in a card reader I had 2 raw images with the same name.

wvbarnes

Link Posted 21/07/2015 - 16:42
SDXC is a size barrier removed NOT a speed classification. SDXC UH1 gives much faster write speeds. Pentax doesn't support SDXC II yet I think. Example card at 80 mb/s read 60 mb/s write link Many quote the read rate. I think the K3 can cope with up to 80 mb/s compared to 30 mb/s for the old SD standard cameras such as the K5.

Starwars50 wrote:
I had a K20 for a number of years without any problem eventually I persuaded her indoors that I need to upgrade hence the K3. I have noticed that it is very slow writing the images to the memory card. I started to get an error when viewing the images back " images to large to be displayed" this only occurred if I was shooting images very quickly. I took the error to Pentax who as usual went the usual loop of firmware type of memory used etc. One of the things that came out of it I was using class 10 but you have to be careful of the speed rating as some will have "up to 20 MB per Sec" this can be quite slow if you are shooting in RAW hence I am going to upgrade the cards to SDXC cards which are much faster. currently 7dayshop.com have a 64 GB for 12.99. hope some of this helps. by the way I found out the issue when I looked at the card in a card reader I had 2 raw images with the same name.

Mag07

Link Posted 21/07/2015 - 17:42
McGregNi wrote:

Hmm, that's interesting. My K7 most definitely won't take a pic with CA on. I can press the shutter and nothing will happen. I just assumed it's how it works when it's potentially a camera issue?
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.