1.4 x why are we waiting?
Posted 19/06/2013 - 17:38
Link
dcweather wrote:
Are we talking about a high quality 1.4/1.5x autofocus TC here? As far as I was aware the only ones currrently working with say the 300mm DA* are the Kenko, Tamron and 1.7x Pentax and although IQ reduction isn't much( the AF is abysmal) I imagine it's not on a par with Canon's matched converters. I know a hell a lot of Canon people use them and swear by them so that is what I want from Pentax - a matched high quality autofocus TC.
the new canon x2 mkiii Tele retails at over £300 the pentax will most possibly be the same...
Are we talking about a high quality 1.4/1.5x autofocus TC here? As far as I was aware the only ones currrently working with say the 300mm DA* are the Kenko, Tamron and 1.7x Pentax and although IQ reduction isn't much( the AF is abysmal) I imagine it's not on a par with Canon's matched converters. I know a hell a lot of Canon people use them and swear by them so that is what I want from Pentax - a matched high quality autofocus TC.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 19/06/2013 - 18:14
Link
cabstar wrote:
the new canon x2 mkiii Tele retails at over £300 the pentax will most possibly be the same...
It usually goes for that second hand. I have the 1.4x and 2x MKII converters and they are superb but the MKIII are supposedly a little better on the outer edges.
the new canon x2 mkiii Tele retails at over £300 the pentax will most possibly be the same...
Posted 19/06/2013 - 22:02
Link
I only know because a friend paid £300 new from one of the Asian ebayers. He used it on a Robbie shoot last night at the etihad and the images looked really good straight out of cam.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


718 posts
14 years
The Chilterns
The 1.7x Adapter has hovered around £240 SH for donkeys years and a few have gone for about £150 so very little demand there
I am not sure there will be a huge demand for a modern 1.4x converter as realistically, unlike Canikon, there are a lack of really suitable lenses for it in our lineup. There is the 300/f4 making a sensible and obvious choice but what else? Maybe the 55-300 and the 60-250 but that is pushing it a bit, the 200 yes but you might as well just get the 300 lens and use that, the 560 probably too long and too slow but I haven't tried it. *If* Pentax ever get round to selling some high quality fast long glass again there will I'm sure be a good demand for a high quality modern converter again, until then I don't thnk so.
Basically, if you have spent £3000 on a bit of high quality glass on which a £400 converter works well you are probably going to buy it in preference to purchasing another £4000 lens - but we don't have those sort of lenses available to us at the moment.