05 JUN 16 young Moon

Nakedgun

Link Posted 06/06/2016 - 06:43
Aged 24 1/2 hours (a personal best). K-5IIs / DFA150-450 + DA1.4 t/c
The Moon was too dim to be seen through the viewfinder, could only be located with binoculars, so, focus was a guess.
jpeg straight out of the box:

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin

gtis

Link Posted 06/06/2016 - 18:48
Nicely spotted
cheers Neil
pentax k3 k5 super A da* 300 f4 da*50-135 f 2.8 smc 50mm f1.7 af 360 fgz pentax1.4xhd converter
Pentax o-gps1

Panasonic Dmc Fz200

vic cross

Link Posted 07/06/2016 - 07:55
Where is the moon????????????????????????? I can't see it at all.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

walkeja

Link Posted 07/06/2016 - 09:53
Above the bottom left hand peak.

derek897

Link Posted 07/06/2016 - 10:05
walkeja wrote:

Is it ?

I thought it was pretty central, If you look at center if image, you should see it. new moon, only a very thin sliver visible. Bottom left is a light i think
I know what i like, If not always why.

Nakedgun

Link Posted 07/06/2016 - 12:05
derek897 wrote:
walkeja wrote:

Is it ?

I thought it was pretty central, If you look at center if image, you should see it. new moon, only a very thin sliver visible. Bottom left is a light i think

Yes, the white dot lower left was a light in the distance, of some sort, Moon is central.

vic cross

Link Posted 07/06/2016 - 14:20
GOT IT. Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 08/06/2016 - 01:45
Do you need to worry about focus with the moon? I just wang it round to infinity
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Nakedgun

Link Posted 08/06/2016 - 02:24
davidwozhere wrote:
Do you need to worry about focus with the moon? I just wang it round to infinity

Infinity is a good place to start, but I don't always trust it, and, Moon being invisible, I tried various focus positions to increase my odds.

richandfleur

Link Posted 08/06/2016 - 04:38
Did you try the digital zoom with live view?

Sorry, does the K-5iis have live view with focus peaking and digital zoom?

Agree infinity on many lenses is a guide only, and you can over turn the focus ring often, past infinity (lol) and start blurring it.

Nice picture, I just use live view for anything like this, as I don't find the APS-C viewfinder good enough for this type of work. Which is kinda sad really, given that's the drawcard of a DSLR. Nice colours too by the way.

Nakedgun

Link Posted 09/06/2016 - 02:16
richandfleur wrote:
Did you try the digital zoom with live view?

Sorry, does the K-5iis have live view with focus peaking and digital zoom?

Agree infinity on many lenses is a guide only, and you can over turn the focus ring often, past infinity (lol) and start blurring it.

Nice picture, I just use live view for anything like this, as I don't find the APS-C viewfinder good enough for this type of work. Which is kinda sad really, given that's the drawcard of a DSLR. Nice colours too by the way.

Thank you, richandfleur!
No focus peaking on this model, unfortunately. I did not try live view and zooming, it may have revealed the Moon, will file that away for next time - thanks for the tip.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.